Cocktails

Started by Slim, April 11, 2022, 11:16:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nickslikk2112

Back to Cocktails, I might have one tomorrow night. Doesn't feel like a Northern thing to do though.

David L

Quote from: Nickslikk2112 on October 30, 2023, 10:20:24 AMGah, if it's Adnams it has to be Broadside, Rich, Malty, Caramel and Treacle. Even better in Southwold.
A bit too close to the 'mop bucket marmite vat slop' for me, that one  ;)

Nickslikk2112

True to my word, I had a cocktail last night. A Rhubarb Negroni no less. An aperitif at the Black Swan in Oldstead, made with their Rhubarb Schnapps, their home-made Campari style beverage and their own red Vermouth flavoured with foraged herbs and seasoned with lavender, if their blurb is to be be believed.

It was OK, think the pint of Landlord hit the spot better the night before though. Proper Slop.

Slim

I really wanted to treat myself to a set of Scotch miniatures at Tesco last night. Pathetic though it is, I cannot trust myself with a proper bottle so typically that's how I consume whisky these days.

However, annoyingly, there wasn't a single decent Scotch miniature in the whole supermarket. So I bought this. It's only a 500ml bottle. And it's a bit less alcoholic than Scotch.

It is pre-mixed Scotch Old Fashioned. Tried one half an hour ago, quite nice. Certainly it doesn't quite taste like a freshly made Old Fashioned and for one thing it's not quite sweet enough, even for the Scotch variant (usually it's made with Bourbon). But with a slice of orange and a few chunks of ice it was very drinkable.

H5N1 kIlled a wild swan

Slim

Received one of these for Christmas, consumed it about two hours ago. Very nice. Just about perfect.

https://niococktails.co.uk/products/old-fashioned

H5N1 kIlled a wild swan

Nick

I had a freebie of one of these last year and agree it was excellent, too expensive to subscribe though.

I also saw a TikTok or similar showing a person who premixed his negronis into a kilner type jar and then kept them in the fridge (simple 33.3% ratio of mix). Then he poured them as required during the day/week/month.

The Picnic Wasp

Quote from: Nick on December 30, 2023, 08:09:15 AMI had a freebie of one of these last year and agree it was excellent, too expensive to subscribe though.

I also saw a TikTok or similar showing a person who premixed his negronis into a kilner type jar and then kept them in the fridge (simple 33.3% ratio of mix). Then he poured them as required during the day/week/month.

Wish I had the self discipline for that.

Slim

We had a nice day out in Derby - a bit of shopping and Pizza Express. We were going to visit a cocktail bar called Revolution where we'd had a drink last time - alas, we found it closed.

So we called in at Amalfi White in Melbourne on the way home. Usually we come here to eat, but it does have a very nice cocktail bar.

No vodka martini on the cocktail menu but they did have a conventional gin martini - I asked the young man on the bar to substitute vodka for the gin and he gladly obliged. Job done. Made a very good job of the lemon twist as well.

Followed up with an Old Fashioned.

H5N1 kIlled a wild swan

Nick

Tesco on Saturday evening were selling off (yellow labels) the Xmas booze that was left over. Mostly it was that hideous gin/vodka/rum with lemon/raspberry/pinapple sugar type flavourings that I generally avoid. However I did find 3 bottles of Tanquerry 10 47% proof for £20/bottle from £35. I scooped the lot.

Nickslikk2112

Had an Espresso Martini at Purnell's, bit sweet for an aperitif, but went down well.

Slim

We stayed at a hotel in Pembrokeshire called Penally Abbey this weekend. It certainly is a very nice place but cocktails are £14, or in some cases £16 a go.

Last time we stayed here a couple of years ago I tried a vodka martini and it was poor. I asked for a dry one and it was anything but. This time, I risked an Old Fashioned. Too dilute.

Quite honestly no-one should be asked to pay £14 for a cocktail but if you do, the least you can expect is that it will be expertly made. That didn't happen here, unfortunately.
H5N1 kIlled a wild swan