Yes

pxr5

Quote from: Slim on June 19, 2022, 06:35:08 PM
Quote from: pxr5 on June 19, 2022, 01:26:33 PMDoes God exist? No
Do aliens exist? No
Are there such things as ghosts? No
Is there a Loch Ness Monster? No

I like these easy questions.
I think aliens very probably exist. Just not on our own planet.

What makes you think aliens exist?
"Oh, for the wings of any bird other than a Battery hen."

Slim

Quote from: pxr5 on June 19, 2022, 09:13:32 PMWhat makes you think aliens exist?

I think they probably exist. Just the maths - we know now that extrasolar planets are relatively common. There are hundreds of billions of galaxies, each of which has billions of stars. A sizeable proportion of those will have planets with conditions that could support life.

We know that life arose on Earth, in geological time-span terms, pretty much as soon as it was possible. Technically speaking even bacteria on another planet in some distant galaxy count as aliens, but I think there are probably sapient creatures, with critical reasoning, technology, a system of government and the rest of it. Just because of the sheer weight of numbers.
H5N1 kIlled a wild swan

Matt2112

Quote from: Nick on June 19, 2022, 09:00:37 PMJust the sheer number of beliefs makes the whole thing a mockery.

That's exactly what was a major factor in setting me off on my "journey" from Catholicism to atheism: what made my religious belief right and all the other (mutually-contradictory and therefore mutually blasphemous) religious beliefs wrong?

Obviously you're meant to feel guilt by even considering that question; and the fact I automatically did only made me even more aware I was being played.

The emancipation from all that poisonous, manipulative claptrap was a glorious feeling. And still is.

pxr5

Maybe I'm too cynical but to say what you just have Slim can equally be argued to say that the conditions required for life are phenomenally small - and to happen in the same biilions of years to create life at the same time as us, even a basic bacteria, makes it so unlikely as to be impossible. And with zero proof of any form of alien life anywhere leads me to assume there is nothing out there - and even if there were, we would never know about it. Therefore there are no such things as aliens.

It makes me laugh, back in the 40s/50s/60s/70s there were numerous times when so-called UFOs were photographed when people rarely had a camera at hand. Now almost every person has a camera in their pocket and no pictures of UFOs, ghosts, Loch Ness monsters appear these days.

Sorry, gone a bit off topic there.
"Oh, for the wings of any bird other than a Battery hen."

Matt2112

I'm more persuaded by the statistical argument there must be intelligent aliens "somewhere"; unfortunately it's just one of those things that looks like it can't be known.

The Picnic Wasp

(And) "the meek shall inherit the Earth"

Fishy

I suspect he/she /it doesn't exist.... Happy to be proved wrong tho...
From The Land of Honest Men

The Picnic Wasp

My mind frequently plays around with the thought that in a world of several billion humans, Paul McCartney is probably only the second most famous.

Matt2112

Quote from: The Picnic Wasp on August 29, 2022, 07:27:42 PMMy mind frequently plays around with the thought that in a world of several billion humans, Paul McCartney is probably only the second most famous.

Behind Queen Liz? :)

Nick

Dear Lord God I have paid £2.50 into this weeks Euro millions, if you exist can you make me win it, it's only the rearrangement of a few numbers.

Many thanks.

Matt2112

Quote from: Nick on August 31, 2022, 07:36:39 PMDear Lord God I have paid £2.50 into this weeks Euro millions, if you exist can you make me win it, it's only the rearrangement of a few numbers.

Many thanks.

Reminds me of the old gag about the chap (usually referred to as a Jew in politically very incorrect versions) who prays to God every week, pleading that he wins the lottery.

After several weeks of the prayer being unanswered, he asks God why he hasn't yet won the jackpot; to which God immediately replies, "Mate, you need to meet me half way - and actually buy a fcking ticket".

The Picnic Wasp

Probably because I dreamt about Neil this week, I woke up with the lyrics to Faithless in my mind this morning. I feel very content about the inclusion of the line "I still cling to hope". Dreams are strange. They can have definite hangover period at times, or sometimes just evaporate to nothingness in an instant. Anything by way of creative writing moments that I've felt compelled to record in the past was directly inspired by Neil's lyrics (leaving aside the being dumped dirges). I hope his hope paid off.

Slim

He died, so ultimately - no. Not for him, anyway.
H5N1 kIlled a wild swan

The Picnic Wasp

Quote from: Slim on November 26, 2022, 08:24:00 PMHe died, so ultimately - no. Not for him, anyway.

Wow! Seventy three books in the Bible and you only need nine words, James. Respect!😁

Matt2112

Quote from: The Picnic Wasp on November 26, 2022, 08:32:04 PM
Quote from: Slim on November 26, 2022, 08:24:00 PMHe died, so ultimately - no. Not for him, anyway.

Wow! Seventy three books in the Bible and you only need nine words, James. Respect!😁

That'll be because we can think about these things with about two more millennia's worth of accumulated scrutiny, discovery and knowledge.

Nowadays, we need only two syllables for the books of the bible which sums them all up quite comprehensively.