Started by Slim, June 14, 2022, 09:34:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nickslikk2112

Bit tighter this time around.

pxr5

Yes it was, but another fine win.
"Oh, for the wings of any bird other than a Battery hen."

Nickslikk2112

First Ashes of the Bazball era. England declare on Day one. I'd like to see a bit more application actually.

All the crims have to do is bat for two and a half days, get 700 runs and win by an innings :( Oh me of little faith.

Slim

What is this "Bazball" I keep hearing about on 5 Live?
H5N1 kIlled a wild swan

pdw1

Quote from: Slim on June 18, 2023, 09:05:52 PMWhat is this "Bazball" I keep hearing about on 5 Live?
It is a cricket ball with an oversized seem that works like a boomerang. Spinners can use it to run out a batter at the non-strikers end.

Nickslikk2112

Does Bazball work in the Ashes? The Jury is out.

Do England always have problems bowling out tail-enders? YES  :'(

Slim

Was that unexpected declaration a bit unwise in hindsight, then?
H5N1 kIlled a wild swan

dom

Baz ball is a mindset. Traditionally cricket, especially test cricket, seemed to be about not losing. Not losing wickets, not conceding runs. Once you were in a position not to lose, then you could try and win.

Bazball has turned that on its head. The England team bat like its a 1 day game, scoring at 5 or 6 an over, not the traditional 3 or less.

Bowling is also more attacking. Fields designed to take catches rather than slow down the opposition from scoring.

In the past there's no way an England captain would have declared towards the end of the first day, but Baz ball likes to gamble, take risks. Not huge risks mind but calculated ones.

Personally I think its all to be applauded. Makes the game more entertaining and exciting. So far it is paying off despite the close defeat yesterday.

Nickslikk2112

Quote from: Slim on June 21, 2023, 06:28:10 PMWas that unexpected declaration a bit unwise in hindsight, then?
Maybe, maybe not. Lots of people say they should have carried on batting to get 450-470 runs, but they were 8 wickets down and Joe Root never starts well the next day after a big not out score.

Nickslikk2112

Bazball needs taming a little. Honours roughly even so far.

Nickslikk2112

Feck Bazball >:(

But then again English cricket in the last few years has been collapsing due to batsmen playing piss-poor shots. At least now they try and get some runs in in between all the crap brain-dead shots.

Nickslikk2112

Slim

Well - I don't follow cricket closely, as you know but normally I seem to recall the Ashes as a sort of ritual embarrassment where one side, usually Australia, is manifestly too good for the other. Seems to be much more evenly matched this time and a proper contest, nice to see.
H5N1 kIlled a wild swan