Main Menu

Cricket

Started by Slim, June 14, 2022, 09:34:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Slim

I'm not particularly a cricket fan but what a inspirational performance against New Zealand today!
H5N1 kIlled a wild swan

Nickslikk2112

And I'm a bloody idiot! I'm retired, I've got all the time in the world to do what I want - except DIY - and there's free entry to the Test at Trent Bridge, just down the road. Never even gave it a thought about going. Mind, they could have stretched it out longer to give people better value...

I never thought that after putting InZid in and them scoring 550 that we'd win it, but there you go, that's why Test Cricket is the ultimate form of the game, time for ebbs and flows. Just hope Stokes isn't too badly injured.

The BBCs use of the word "Batter" is doing my head in though, it's BATSMAN, batter is what YJB and Stokesy were doing to the ball. Yes, language changes, but I don't want changes enforced by some liberal-lefty PC Cabal in Broadcasting House. Thankfully Aggers still says "Third Man" instead of "Third" which is also being forced upon us.

Slim

It just seems absolutely ridiculous to me, I must agree. batswoman or batsman - what's wrong with that?

I listened on 5 Live, initially they were going to Trent Bridge for reports every 15 minutes but eventually they just stayed with it.
H5N1 kIlled a wild swan

dom

Fantastic cricket. Root is on another level. Bairstow sensational too.

pxr5

Yes that was another tremendous win. In both tests, in the past, England would certainly rolled over and be beaten. I like this new positive style. It won't win every game playing like that but it really shows spirit (something the England football team could do with). Great stuff.
"Oh, for the wings of any bird other than a Battery hen."

Nickslikk2112

Twisty, Turny, Test Cricket. Again. I'd written YJB off as a T20 slogger, seems it can work in Tests, it just looks so bad when it doesn't.

pxr5

I caught the score today at 55/6 and I was convinced that was it. When I looked later it was still 6 and 260. Things like this are not normal for England. Great fun though and I bet the Kiwis can't believe it.

dom

T20 and the like really seem to have improved stroke play and attacking cricket

Jonners

They have, but also made the likes of defence, ball watching and building an innings secondary

So, when the ball starts moving around, we end up at 55-6

dom

it's not where you start its where you finish!

joking aside you're right, that style of play could well come unstuck against a better bowling attack

Nickslikk2112

Cripes!

We have no fear! Until the wheels fall off and it's back to square one.

Slim

Did I hear that Stuart Broad had bowled the worst ever test over, the other day? 35 runs off six balls, or something?
H5N1 kIlled a wild swan

pxr5

Quote from: Slim on July 06, 2022, 02:49:04 PMDid I hear that Stuart Broad had bowled the worst ever test over, the other day? 35 runs off six balls, or something?
You did and can watch it here:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/cricket/62021215

dom

His pub also burnt down a couple of weeks ago

pxr5

England's win against Pakistan yesterday was an incredible result but I hadn't realised how eventful it actually was. Tremendous stuff.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/cricket/63873273