Everything Everywhere All At Once

Started by pxr5, May 21, 2022, 01:30:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

pxr5

Everything Everywhere All at Once scores 8.6 on imdb https://www.imdb.com/title/tt6710474/

What the hell have I just watched, have I had an acid trip? This movie is incredible and a true one of a kind; a spectacle to behold. I can't really describe it properly either, you just have to watch it. Let's say though that this movie was made on a relatively small budget and 10 times less than the latest Doctor Strange - but 10 times better. It's profound, comical, emotional, action-packed, superbly scripted and acted, yet so creative too. The direction is phenomenal and the poor editor must have really earned their pay-packet - it's that good. But there are ridiculous, bizarre moments that make your jaw drop too.

For me this is the best movie this century and I have no qualms making that statement. Mixed in some of the imdb reviews are the odd 1 or 2 out of 10. I really get that too and can understand why someone would hate it, but that's the level of feeling this film evokes. And a final note - Jamie Lee Curtis: you'll never see her like this again, brilliant.  Easily a 10/10
"Oh, for the wings of any bird other than a Battery hen."

Matt2112

Quote from: pxr5 on May 21, 2022, 01:30:12 PMEverything Everywhere All at Once scores 8.6 on imdb https://www.imdb.com/title/tt6710474/

What the hell have I just watched, have I had an acid trip? This movie is incredible and a true one of a kind; a spectacle to behold. I can't really describe it properly either, you just have to watch it. Let's say though that this movie was made on a relatively small budget and 10 times less than the latest Doctor Strange - but 10 times better. It's profound, comical, emotional, action-packed, superbly scripted and acted, yet so creative too. The direction is phenomenal and the poor editor must have really earned their pay-packet - it's that good. But there are ridiculous, bizarre moments that make your jaw drop too.

For me this is the best movie this century and I have no qualms making that statement. Mixed in some of the imdb reviews are the odd 1 or 2 out of 10. I really get that too and can understand why someone would hate it, but that's the level of feeling this film evokes. And a final note - Jamie Lee Curtis: you'll never see her like this again, brilliant.  Easily a 10/10

Saw this at a local Vue last night.

I'm in the unusual position of taking an opposite view in this case, unfortunately - I didn't think it was all that good!

On paper, this really did sound great, and to be fair it does have a lot of praiseworthy elements - the concept, the ambition, the wacky, occasionally outrageous surrealism.  The performances are all very good and engaging.  So, yes, all good stuff on the face of it, all of it up my street, and it promised much.

I just thought, in the end, the execution fell short, not helped by a script that is as unmoored as all the other elements where, for me, it really needed to be orchestrating the mayhem and the more emotional sequences much more tightly.

No spoilers, but especially in some of its most notoriously outrageous darkly comic moments I was reminded of the equally batsh!t Holy Motors, which for me is a considerably superior film, and comes from a mind (Leos Carax's) that is genuinely eccentric, whereas EEAAO struck me as two not terribly eccentric minds trying to think as eccentrically as they could.

So, don't get me wrong, I admired the enormous scope of what this was trying to achieve, and not for one second would I discourage anyone from seeing this; it just ultimately struck me as a noble failure.

Rating: **