Climate change, what are you doing about it?

Started by Nick, June 07, 2022, 09:54:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nick

As we are all aware we need to be taking steps to reduce climate change/damage but what if anything are we doing about it on a day to day basis?

In my case not much really

Turn off lights wherever possible.
Recycle whatever I can via my bin scheme.
Use bag for life for shopping.
Trying to reduce waste in food and packaging purchased.

Not got an electric car (too expensive), not on any special renewable energy tariff.

Feel I'm not really doing enough in the scheme of things.

Nickslikk2112

Whatever I do doesn't matter because I fart too much :)

Slim

Without trying particularly hard, I'm living a pretty low-impact lifestyle.

• Haven't fathered any humans
  • Always recycle cardboard, plastic bottles, tins
  • Always use a reusable shopping bag
  • Work from home and only drive a car once or twice a week
  • I was a veggie for 25 years (meat produces a lot of greenhouse gases). I'm not now but that's a lot of credit in the carbon do-gooder bank
H5N1 kIlled a wild swan

David L

Quote from: Nick on June 07, 2022, 09:54:49 AMAs we are all aware we need to be taking steps to reduce climate change/damage but what if anything are we doing about it on a day to day basis?

In my case not much really

Turn off lights wherever possible.
Recycle whatever I can via my bin scheme.
Use bag for life for shopping.
Trying to reduce waste in food and packaging purchased.

Not got an electric car (too expensive), not on any special renewable energy tariff.

Feel I'm not really doing enough in the scheme of things.

Shameful. Sort your life out

Nick

pxr5

Same as most others I suspect. Recycling, lights, reduced energy use, less journeys by car etc. I haven't been overseas since 2019 either, but that's more because of Covid.

I try to save water too - only because I'm on a water meter. This country should never have water issues: an island with a massive coastline; rivers, lakes, lochs everywhere; and a temperate climate - it's just poor water management IMO.
"Oh, for the wings of any bird other than a Battery hen."

Slim

I don't normally flush after a wee. However the wife and I have three bathrooms between us; I wouldn't do that if we shared one.

H5N1 kIlled a wild swan

David L

As a result of being tight:
Solar panels
Never throw food away
Use 'eco-wash' on the washing m/c
LED lights
Drive economically
Never leave the TVs on standby
Keep room doors closed in the winter
Use the very last of the toothpaste
Never bought a new car
Always finish my pint
Have a very well-insulated loft

As a result of the pandemic:
Not flown for over two years

To protect my sensitive skin:
Use non-bio washing pods

For health reasons:
Eat less meat

For an easy life:
No kids

And finally to be virtuous:
Recycle as much as possible

Thenop

I eat vegetarian
No children
City heating, so using residual heat and no gas
Obviously pay attention to the use of in house electricity and water
No E car, not yet anyway. Industry needs some sorting out as well in that part, not as clean as it's being sold to us anyway
(I work in oil and gas industry :-X  )

pxr5

Quote from: Slim on June 07, 2022, 02:55:25 PMI don't normally flush after a wee. However the wife and I have three bathrooms between us; I wouldn't do that if we shared one.

We are the same, except sometimes one of our toilets may get forgotten about for a few days - ewww.

But as the saying goes: "If it's yellow let it mellow, if it's brown flush it down."
"Oh, for the wings of any bird other than a Battery hen."

dom

Drive a hybrid, walk to work (more luck than judgement)

We installed a new hot water tank and it's turned the airing cupboard into a standard cupboard with a hot water tank in it. It came with a switch that prevents it from being on for more than 90 minutes in one go. (Probably some EU law!?)

Are pellet stoves considered environmentally friendly ? Had one of those installed recently. Hopefully it will reduce the amount of central heating that the oil tank in the garden provides

Matt2112

I'm definitely an envirogelical, and if I could I'd spread the message as far and wide as possible - courtesy of Bombardier, of course. ::)

David L

Quote from: Matt2112 on June 07, 2022, 09:38:16 PMI'm definitely an envirogelical, and if I could I'd spread the message as far and wide as possible - courtesy of Bombardier, of course. ::)
Do you work for Bombardier?

Slim

I'll own up to the bad things that I do. I have three computers on all the time in my man cave, one desktop PC and two servers. My desktop USB DAC / amp is on all the time, as well.

I leave things on standby.
H5N1 kIlled a wild swan

David L

Quote from: Slim on June 07, 2022, 10:45:01 PMI'll own up to the bad things that I do. I have three computers on all the time in my man cave, one desktop PC and two servers. My desktop USB DAC / amp is on all the time, as well.

Are you mining for crypto-currency?