Main Menu

Motorpsycho

Started by Thenop, June 03, 2022, 11:31:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Thenop

To those in the know:
19 August, new album to be released: Ancient Astronauts. Already excited!

Slim

I have Let Them Eat Cake. That's a great record, especially this tune

H5N1 kIlled a wild swan

Thenop

Quote from: Slim on June 03, 2022, 11:56:03 AMI have Let Them Eat Cake. That's a great record, especially this tune

Couldn't agree more, on of my favourites. The follow up Phanerothyme (the title no one ever remembers) is in similar style. Very good.

Thenop

Nickslikk2112

Quote from: Thenop on May 05, 2023, 09:22:39 AMNew album alert:
https://motorpsycho.bandcamp.com/album/yay
Yay!

can't have enough Motorpsycho  :)

Found out they are playing in (Dirty) Leeds on 25th June, but Mrs S has already arranged for us to be somewhere else that night  >:(

Thenop

I have been living with thge new album for a while now, I like it. It is a change of pace for sure, it harkens back to earlier days of the band and is mostly acoustic. Ist is a nice change. having said that I am 100% a fanboi so the band can do very little wrong in my eyes.

Thenop

The Motorpsycho boys have decided to dive into the past and start releasing all the singles & EPS they ever made (that won't happen, but the thought is nice) one at a time each Monday starting the 26th of February. All susual channels will carry them, I'll be following the Bandcamp releases, but I expect I have at least half of them already. They won't release them chronologically, bit random I suppose. Seems most of them were not available in their own country.

https://motorpsycho.bandcamp.com

Thenop

First 2 singles released:
California single, 4 songs from 2017, from the Tower sessions. These are short form track, nice but not groundbreaking.
Hyena single from 2006, the track itself is from Black Hole/Blank Canvas, the 2006 2LP that found the band without a drummer, original drummer Gebhardt had just left and as a repsonse to that they recorded a collection of indie rock songs that sounded gritty and dirty. Bent (bass / vocals) plyed drums on the album. It's really a one off, a band trying to figure where to go next and shedding it's skin. I really like it, but the tone and overall feel is not for everyone. The B side Bonny Lee was already on the rarities comp The Light Fantastic.   

Looking forward to subsequent re-releases, there are some singles and EPs even I don't know / have!

Thenop

2nd set of 2 singles is up:
Ozone 5 track EP from 1998's Trust Us
and
X-3 (Knuckleheads In Space)(Kåre's kommærs-klipp), a condensed version of the full thing from Heavy Metal Fruit backed with the marvelous ICU, already released on the rarities comp The Light fantastic.

Thenop

Another Monday morning, another set of singles:
1998's Manmower (with a cover of the Who's heaven and Hell also being pat of the 5 song EP set)
and 2021's Ulv! Ulv! (Wolf! Wolf!) backed with instrumental Snahlbatros (an instrumental in the style of Fleetwood Mac's Albatros).
MPs guitarists' nickname is Snah, that explains the weird title.

Thenop

Motorpsycho monday again!

2002 - Serpentine EP.The song itself is a lovely tune, taken from the album It's a Love Cult. In fact, we even get the video with the download:
We also get a low ket acoustic ditty called Shane 2AM, Ricky Little Massenburg written and sung by drummer Gebhardt (immortalized earlier by playing it on tour), Snafu a piece that really sounds like an outtake and the often played liveFade to Grey

2010 - The Visitant single. An outtake form heavy Metal Fruit, a short track that has a Cream riff, very nice. And a cover of The Pretty Things' Eagle's Son that sounds like they could have written it themselves.

Great releases again!

Slim

Wow, love that last one.
H5N1 kIlled a wild swan

Thenop

And it is Monday again!
release 01:
Terje Brekkstad's Kosmiske Reise (Pts 1&2) - 24 mins of ambient, so only try this if you like this sort of thing. I am happy they finally release this digitally though, it was only part of a set with a Norwegian magazine. I have it, with the vinyl, but most were too late in buying it.

release 02:
Starmelt / Lovelight (1997)
The title song is a lovely tune tune from Angels and Daemons At Play. It's a but of alternative pop Motorpsycho style. The B sides though, oh my. Up Our Sleeves is a Humble Pie cover and done in true MP fashion with that roaring bass, Wishing Well a 5 minute acoustic low key tune that I really like, Flick of the Wrist is a nearly 9 minute piece of alternative rock, very 90's and it is hard to believe it was left off the album. It's an alternate version to the song that was recorded during the 1996 Blissard recordings. And we close proceedings with the oddball Instamatic which is a twangly ditty.

The video for Starmelt/Lovelight is a band and fan favourite: