Stranger Things : Season 4

Started by R6GYY, May 29, 2022, 06:01:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

R6GYY

No spoilers please if anyone wants to join in the discussion.

p.s. if you haven't seen any of Stranger Things Seasons 1 to 3, then don't watch this - you NEED to be up to speed with previous events and characters.

Episode 1

I had already watched the first 8 minutes thanks to Netflix putting it out there as a teaser.

So I have now watched the 1st episode (about 1 hour 20 minutes) and also read some blurb. Apparently the horror and comedy levels have been ramped up in this season. Some of that horror was on screen in episode 1.

This has put Sian off, and she doesn't want to watch any more. She doesn't like horror in general, and struggled a bit with some of Season 3 (as I had already watched it and knew what was coming, I skipped some of the more disturbing sequences).

So this has now become a solo watch for me, which is a shame as until now we have enjoyed watching it together.

I just hope that they don't go over the top with the horror, as it may put me off in the long term.

I have read a lot of comments about how old the 'kids' look now. FFS people, covid put a spike in many things, so get over it (rant over).

So I will stick with it, hopefully to the end of season 4 (the finale is reputed to be 2.5 hours btw).

Jonners

first time ever with this programme I was looking forward to the episode finishing. Really dragged

Nick

Enjoyed the first 3 series but really not getting into this new series.

R6GYY

I've seen 4 episodes now, and things are getting better / ramping up. Episode 4 was the best so far I thought.

Great to see (no spoiler) Robert Englund.

R6GYY

Well all 7 episodes done now, with 2 to come in July.

It was a bit of a slow start, but got going really nicely.

Nick

Made it to six so far, definitely overlong but picked up and still enjoyable.

pxr5

As the final 2 episodes drop in a couple of days we decided to eventually kick off with Series 4. Really enjoyed the first episode, but didn't realise it was going to be so long. I normally watch 2/3 eps of a series when I'm watching, but I think at these lengths I'll stick to one a night. Still liking the 80s vibe from this show too.
"Oh, for the wings of any bird other than a Battery hen."

pxr5

I've done the first 7 episodes now. The 7th just about rescued what has been a rather poor series so far and the last 2 eps (8 and 9) come in at 1hr27 and 2hr20. Bloomin' eck that must be one of the longest TV episode lengths ever - better be worth it  :)

dom

Episode 4 Season 4 wow, intense!

pxr5

And now complete. The last episode was pretty good and didn't feel overlong (2hr20). But this series is the weakest of the 4 so far. Also some of the characters were there because they had to be without adding very much to the story. There was an opportunity in this show to milk the 80s vibe and fill it with music of the time. We got some tunes but not enough for me, and as much as I like Kate Bush I won't be playing Running Up That Hill for some time to come. 6/10 for this series.

Nick

Agree..just overlong and repetitive. Don't agree on Kate Bush though, Hounds of Love was a special album for me.

Nick

Finished it today. Found it far too long, too many threads and a bit of a mess. I really enjoyed the first 3 series but it's like they threw everything into this with a big budget and it's overkill.

R6GYY

Now that I have finished it I mostly agree with the "too long" comments.

Having said that, I still really enjoyed it, and there were some spectacular scenes.

A nice little treat for me was, er, without spoilers, a certain someone reading aloud to a certain someone else in a hospital bed. After the 1st line was read, I thought that sounds like something out of The Talisman, one of my most revered books (by Stephen King and Peter Straub).

As a couple more lines were read, and the name "Speedy" was mentioned, I knew I was right. Sure enough, the camera panned back to reveal a Talisman graphic comic.

And of course, I already know that the Duffer Brothers are (I believe) signed up to produce a TV series of The Talisman and I think they have just the right sensibilities to do this.

https://collider.com/the-talisman-duffer-brothers-adapting-stephen-king-peter-straubs-fantasy-horror-novel-netflix/

An adaptation of this book is something there have been rumours about for decades now, but this does seem like it might actually happen.

I'm not holding my breath though.