Top Gun: Maverick

Started by R6GYY, May 26, 2022, 07:18:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

R6GYY

I had intended to see Everything, Everywhere, All At Once, but delays meant I didn't arrive in time.

As luck would have it, Top Gun: Maverick was available in the Imax so in I went.

Bonus: finally a trailer for Mission Impossible 7, or "Mission Impossible: Dead Reckoning Part 1" as it is called. Sadly, not due for release until next year.

So, on to the film and I can only gush about this. I spent a lot of the film with a stupid grin on my face, and sometimes on the edge of my seat.

There were moments in this when I was holding my breath, clenching my gut and my heart was pounding, all at the same time.

It isn't all action though (much like the first film), but the aerial sequences are what everyone will be talking about, and they are really breathtaking. The new 'cockpit-cams' bring a whole new level of engagement to the audience.

This is definitely a film to be seen in the cinema, and I suspect word of mouth will ensure that it does well.

Outstanding. I am sure others will give more elequent and meaningful appraisals, but I left the cinema very, very pleased indeed.

Also, run time of around 2 hours and perfectly paced.

Slim

I think it's going to be one of the all-time massive blockbusters. Really glad that Tom got round to doing this while he still has the leading man charisma and presence. Very much looking forward to it.

Shame Kelly McGillis isn't in it, though.

36 years ago, where did the time go?
H5N1 kIlled a wild swan

Matt2112

Showing at the National Science and Media Museum's IMAX theatre in Bradford, so once I've finally seen the first one (review imminent) I'll be sure to catch it there. :)

Slim

The first Top Gun is a classic, but - I haven't seen it for years (some time in the noughties I think) and it hadn't aged brilliantly even then. It's def got an 80s whiff about it. It's a bit like Flashdance and Dirty Dancing in some ways; it somehow has the same light entertainment emotional drama paradigm.

But the aerial scenes are knockout.

I saw Officer and a Gentleman again a couple of years ago and that had actually aged quite nicely. That's a brilliant film if you haven't seen it.
H5N1 kIlled a wild swan

David L

I liked the first film. The F-14 was an iconic aircraft around that time, helped by the movie, of course.
I bought a 1:72 scale model. I'd not done a model kit for years. I remember being quite proud of the finished article.

Matt2112

Saw at Bradford's IMAX this afternoon.

I agree with every word of Reg's appraisal (saved me a fair bit of typing - thanks fella!).

I can only add that the aerial sequences in the last third of the film truly are gob-smacking - surely they're unlike anything seen before.

I loved the rightfully shameless homages to the original - pretty much shot-for-shot at times - but also how it raised the bar so spectacularly.

Terrific fun.

Rating: ****

R6GYY

Hi Matt. Glad you enjoyed it ;D 

Have you seen the original Star Wars? Just you mentioned the word 'homage'.

If you have seen Star Wars you will know what I am alluding to  8)

Matt2112

Box office receipts have now passed the half a billion dollars mark. :)

pxr5

Just got round to watching this. I agree that the flying scenes are spectacular and quite incredibly done. The rest of the movie is pretty crap though - then again I think it was supposed to be like that: gung-ho Americans disobeying direct orders whilst the hero gets the rewards (and his gal) -  eugh. As my old man used to say "as far-fetched as a bucket of shit from China". Tom Cruise is good though. 
"Oh, for the wings of any bird other than a Battery hen."

Neillwith2Ls

I thoroughly enjoyed this re-boot, everything about it screams cinema blockbuster. Even the Cruiser turns in a decent performance. The scene with him and Iceman was a nice touch too, quite moving actually. But it's essentially the same film as the 80's version right, surely everyone sees this?

Nick

Just watched this and really enjoyed it.