Cycling 2022

Started by Slim, January 28, 2022, 03:22:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Slim

Quote from: Nickslikk2112 on August 28, 2022, 09:57:01 PMKeep meaning to do Pindale up from Castleton, but it's too sketchy for my good bikes...
Should have gone on through Foolow to Stella's Kitchen, a most incongruous Caribbean Restaurant in the middle of nowhere, never been myself as I don't carry money...

Is that the place near Eyam? Weirdly, 'er indoors was saying only yesterday that her friends had been there recently. I think it was on that last Hairy Bikers series, as well.

H5N1 kIlled a wild swan

Nick

So I need a new bottom bracket, a new derailleur, new bearings for the rear hub and new shorts.

Fishy

Kudos to the cyclists I saw in Majorca presumably doing the trip to Formentor.. the heat was incredible.. bad enough standing still in that heat.. to cycle..incredible...
From The Land of Honest Men

Nickslikk2112

Quote from: Slim on August 28, 2022, 10:30:19 PM
Quote from: Nickslikk2112 on August 28, 2022, 09:57:01 PMKeep meaning to do Pindale up from Castleton, but it's too sketchy for my good bikes...
Should have gone on through Foolow to Stella's Kitchen, a most incongruous Caribbean Restaurant in the middle of nowhere, never been myself as I don't carry money...

Is that the place near Eyam? Weirdly, 'er indoors was saying only yesterday that her friends had been there recently. I think it was on that last Hairy Bikers series, as well.

That's the one.

Slim

Quite a decent cycling day - cooler, but warm enough for bare legs. However I have a long day tomorrow and other things to do today so I only wanted to do 25 or so this afternoon. I'd intended to set off after the Artemis I launch, but when it was delayed I guessed it was probably going to be scrubbed for today, so I set off at about 12:55pm.

A moderate wind was coming from the east, but since I wasn't going far I decided I'd do a Twycrosser. I was going to come back along Gibbet Lane but changed my mind and did a u-turn on Burton Road to take the route back through Carlton.

Listened mostly to Sangita Myska on LBC, sitting in for Shelagh Fogarty and I must admit I had steam coming out of my ears after about half an hour of it. She either misunderstood or laughably misrepresented every topic she wanted to talk about, as she entertained a series of hysterically moronic callers. I so wish everyone didn't get to vote, only a very few of us really know what we're doing in a polling booth.

I got rained on, but only lightly and only for a few minutes. Mostly cloudy but the sun came out for the last two miles.

28.17 miles, bringing the total for August to 557 and that'll be it for this month. If I hit the (pretty modest) targets for the remaining months, 2022 will be my third best year so far in distance terms.

https://www.strava.com/activities/7720312751
H5N1 kIlled a wild swan

The Picnic Wasp

Two day ban for political comment! 😂

The Picnic Wasp

Apologies. Thank you for the avatar before my 48 hour break kicks in.

Nickslikk2112

Got in the 2 miles to reach 900, then added enough to take it to 940 with 67,700 ft of climbing. That'll do.

Better still I didn't get knocked off by any of the marauding Bank Holiday motorists, would have been just my luck before a couple of nights away.

https://www.strava.com/activities/7720725780

Slim

Quote from: The Picnic Wasp on August 29, 2022, 07:14:33 PMTwo day ban for political comment! 😂

I was careful not to comment on or refer to any of the topics discussed during the show - but if a consensus develops between the moderation team that I've broken the rule, I will accept a 48 hr suspension.
H5N1 kIlled a wild swan

Nickslikk2112

Cripes! I've had four days away from the bike, would I remember how to ride? Would I have the strength to do so? Two days of walking round Edinburgh had taken its toll on my legs, can't believe the subtle difference in muscle usage between walking and cycling.

Well yes, of course I could still cycle, I could still get up hills. Didn't even feel that hard. Didn't do as much as I wanted to though as it looked like it would piss it down at any moment. It didn't, but it never seemed far away.

September is now underway with 45 miles done.

https://www.strava.com/activities/7748981556

Nickslikk2112

Managed to avoid getting too wet today. I only caught the edge of a couple of showers, but they must have been torrential as the roads were really bepuddled and running with water.

The roads were rather busy too, but Mrs S pointed out it was Chatsworth Country Fair this weekend so it will have been all the attendees going back home.

https://www.strava.com/activities/7754849283/

Fishy

A little 20 miler yesterday up and over the Carrick Hills.. very warm

Nickslikk2112

Managed to get two rides in today :)

The Tour of Britain was making its closest approach to me and I like to use that as an excuse to get out for a ride. However, it would mean being out in the afternoon and thundery showers were forecast which was just like what had happened the previous couple of afternoons. So, I decided to nip out for an hour or so in the morning whilst it was dry and then see what happened.

After lunching, the weather still seemed set fair and no troublesome rainfall appeared on the rainfall radar. I then made the 21 mile trip out to the top of an extremely laughable "King of the Mountains" point. Mountains, in Nottinghamshire, pah! It can be a bit rolling but noy mountainous.

Luckily the pro riders were making good time so I didn't have to wait long amongst the sad Castelli wearing, Pinarello riding, fat mid-life crisis males. (I'm 6'2" built like a racing snake, dhb wearing, Bianchi riding, Uncle Mort lookalike) So as soon as the Pelton had whizzed by, I set off home.

Set off home into the rain. Luckily it didn't rain too much on me, but the showers had left the roads extremely wet and I had a constant spray of filthy water up my back. I was also hoping to average 18mph on the ride, but it was school emptying time as I rode back and that slowed me up, especially past my - and Mrs S's - old school. Ho-hum. Still, I got over sixty miles in over the day.

https://www.strava.com/activities/7774059571
https://www.strava.com/activities/7775270802

Slim

I haven't managed to get out on two wheels this month yet, due to holiday commitments and weather. Starting to feel like an ex-cyclist.
H5N1 kIlled a wild swan

Fishy

30 miler today.. found some cracking single track roads .. bloody hard going heading home with a very strong head wind....   a nice bottle of Australian Shiraz is helping🍷