Cycling 2022

Started by Slim, January 28, 2022, 03:22:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Slim

Quote from: Nick on August 06, 2022, 05:07:09 PMWell done on the 40k. A few weeks ago I put a new chain on but it always made a noise, I noticed this morning I had previously misthreaded it and the noise was from rubbing against a metal guide on the derallieur.
I've done that. Always noticed it before I actually rode it, though (I always spin it through a couple of gears on the maintenance stand after putting the chain on).

On a related note I'd jammed the transmission a couple of times performing questionable gear changes on the X, and I realised that I'd over-shortened the chain last time I had a new one on.

It only affects changes involving a big cog at the back and the big chainring at the same time. So I'm more careful to avoid those.
H5N1 kIlled a wild swan

Nickslikk2112

On my rides I always do a short loop before embarking on the main body of my ride. I do this as if I've done a bit of work on the bike and done a poor job it'll be obvious in the first bit of the ride.

Today I had to do without, as the Chesterfield inner relief road was closed and traffic was backing up on the diversionary routes which were the ones I would have gone out on. Good job I hadn't worked on the bike then...

So, I went out the opposite to what I'd intended only to find another closed road. I turned round and set off another way to eventually come to a set of traffic lights at roadworks near the top of a hill. Thwarted again. Luckily I didn't have to go through Clay Cross, I wouldn't want to take a good bike though the X, too many feral hoodlums around.

Luckily all these diversions meant I didn't end up looking for random roads to ride down to get the ride up to 40 miles. That's 235 for the week, the best of the year so far.

https://www.strava.com/activities/7599595219

Slim

Yet another beautifully warm, sunny day. I left work early and set off to do a Bypasser. I chose the Cannondale, because I wanted to give the new rear tyre a spin. I fitted it a few days ago and it was still encouragingly firm when I checked it in the garage.

I got as far as the uphill approach to Snarestone, having done about 8.5 miles, when I noticed that my bottom was experiencing the road surface a bit more intimately than it should have been. I stopped; sure enough the rear tyre was a bit soft.

I continued on for a little while then stopped just after the turn off for Snarestone. I'd managed to bring a pump, but not a spare inner tube. I hadn't remembered to put the saddle bag back on after cleaning the bike. I stopped at a convenient spot and tried the pump. It didn't seem to be inflating the tube. I set off walking again, then tried the pump again in the shade of a tree at the bench in the church yard at Swepstone. No go. I think the valve is broken; the new tyre doesn't seem to have picked up any trauma.

I called 'er indoors and she agreed to come and get me after she finished work, at 5pm. By the time she did kindly pick me up near Heather I'd probably walked about three miles in my cleats.

A kind couple in a Range Rover kindly offered me a lift, but shortly thereafter decided that the bike probably wouldn't fit in the back. I kind of think it would have, but never mind. At least they wanted to make sure I was OK and had plenty of water, which I did.

Ah well! Not something that happens often. 8.89 miles, certainly the shortest ride of the year so far but it was fun while it lasted.

https://www.strava.com/activities/7605188052
H5N1 kIlled a wild swan

Nickslikk2112

Quote from: Nickslikk2112 on August 06, 2022, 09:31:35 PMClimbing up from Hathersage to Surprise View (Not much of a surprise as I know it's there and it was behind me) I overtook a bloke in rather obvious Le Col cycling clobber. As I was in Rapha I greeted him with "LE COL SUCKS, RAPHA RULES!!!" Hopefully in the week when I'm in Le Col I can overtake a Rapha Rider and repeat things in reverse...

I overtook a Rapha rider today :) Unfortunately I had my dhb kit on :(

Slim

Another stinking hot day. I took advantage of the hot weather to wash the X. I gave it a very thorough clean and after I'd hosed out the last of the car shampoo lather, it took about four minutes to dry in the baking sun.

I then gave it a bit of a seeing to with GT85 and some lube in the garage. But I chose the Cannondale for a ride out this afternoon. I wanted to make sure all's well with its latest inner tube, and the rear tyre only got about 9 miles on the last run out (not counting being wheeled along at walking pace).

I hoped that the sun had lost some of its ferocity by 3pm, when I set off.

I basically did a long version of the time-honoured Twycross Bypasser, except that I cut left to Sheepy after Sibson, so that I could visit San Giovanni for a pit stop involving a beer or two. I also asked for some tap water to refill the bidon. I'd brought my Magnum 1L one, not often that gets used. But I was going through water at an alarming rate.

By the time I left, the shadows were longer and the sun a little less hostile. I came back up through Twycross and Swepstone. Sort of a part-Twycrosser in reverse.

Happily, rear tyre and inner tube behaved themselves this time.

I was overtaken by a beautiful metallic silver E-Type Jag near Packington. And I saw a steam tractor pulling a trailer half a mile from home. Maybe coal power is a bit more economical now that diesel is so expensive.

Back on 40.48 miles, a bit debilitated from the heat and the beer (although I had another one as soon as I got back), but content. That's 186 this month, the target is 400 but there's a fair bit of rain in the forecast next week.

https://www.strava.com/activities/7622640241
H5N1 kIlled a wild swan

Nickslikk2112

On the Bianchi, I've been suffering a "Tick" noise every pedal revolution when going up a steep hill. In the past this has been solved by taking out the pedals and greasing the threads. Not this time. On Wednesday it was noisier than ever.

So, I took the wheels off and checked the tightness of the lock rings on the disc rotors and rear cassette. They were both slightly loose on the rear, quick tighten and jobs a good 'un. Only trouble is, some quieter noises have now appeared...

Slim

An MP3 player fixes those.
H5N1 kIlled a wild swan

Nickslikk2112

Quote from: Slim on August 12, 2022, 02:04:37 PMAn MP3 player fixes those.
Sorry, don't want any of my senses making dimmer.

Bike was quiet today, apart from a faint hint of not quite properly indexed gears. It may have been quieter because I couldn't be bothered to put too much effort in. 30C is just a bit warm. I'd half filled my bidons and put them in the freezer this morning, then topped up with cold water before leaving. They were fully up to temperature after 56 minutes.

Today's 42 miles were as much as I could do with two 750ml bidons, I don't think I passed anywhere to procure any more libations until I was nearly home. Hopefully next week will be cooler. Hopefully next week will be dry.

https://www.strava.com/activities/7632509459/

Slim

I was determined to do a fondo today. Unfortunately it was scorchio again, but I reasoned that if I set off at 3pm then I'd only be uncomfortable for a couple of hours.

I did the standard eastbound fondo, Eastwell and back via Burton on the Wolds. I took a 1L bidon with me but it was already near depleted by the time I got to the petrol station at Burton. I bought a lucozade and a Fanta from the fridge. Drank most of the lucozade on the spot (and what a joy) and decanted the Fanta to the bidon. I bought water and more Lucozade on the way back. In all I consumed about 2 litres of fluids, probably a record for me (and I gulped down a San Miguel as soon as I got back). Don't feel great about ingesting all that sugary stuff, perhaps I should have bought more water and less Lucozade but hopefully I burned a lot of it off.

Had a headwind to contend with on the outbound stretch. It grew stronger as I made progress eastwards, though I knew it would as, unusually, I bothered to check the forecast over several points on the route rather than just for home. I didn't mind it so much, though. It was a bit like being fanned.

I've bought a new DAB personal (the controls are a bit more intuitive and easy than the ones I already have) and so far I've got nearly ten hours out of a bog-standard pair of Alkaline AAs. Impressive. I listened mostly to Premier League footy - of special interest was Brentford vs Man United, and I couldn't help thinking the London side had made a schoolboy error by scoring their four goals so early in the game - yet United failed to capitalise on their mistake.

Conditions grew more tolerable as the shadows lengthened and the day wore on of course, but I was still a bit uncomfortably warm at 7:30pm. I was also a little disconcerted to see the sun go down at about 8:30pm, but I hadn't checked the sunset time. I did have lights with me, but I only used the rear. I was home by 8:55pm.

I heard a pronounced CLUNK coming from the transmission a few times when freewheeling. Happened to be looking down at the chainring when it happened the third or fourth time and what was happening was the chain was going slack, then twanging taut again - which can only mean, I think, that the rear Disraeli is sticking. Perhaps I didn't lubricate it properly following cleaning, or perhaps something's caught in it - I'll have a look tomorrow.

https://www.strava.com/activities/7633197434

62.81 miles; that's the third fondo this month. Don't know what my record is, perhaps I'll check. Glad to have got 151 miles done in August already as I'm on call for most of the rest of the month.

Quite surprised to see four Strava PRs on a route I've done very many times. Must have been on the way back, with the tailwind. Or perhaps it's Lucozade power.
H5N1 kIlled a wild swan

Nickslikk2112

Did more or less the same ride as yesterday, with a different descent back to town. Once again two bidons were just enough, I filled them three quarters full before freezing, took them an hour and twenty to get up to temperature today.

https://www.strava.com/activities/7638163138

Slim

Much cooler than yesterday, and we had some rain around midday - but still more than warm enough for minimal clothing and the roads were dry by the time I was able to leave work, at 4pm.

The rain was due back over in the form of thundery showers later in the evening (though as I type, they haven't materialised yet) so I thought I'd keep it down to not much more than 20 miles. I did a shortish Twycrosser, coming up along Gibbet Lane.

By the time I got to Barton I'd decided it wasn't going to rain anytime soon so I lengthened the ride a bit by detouring through Burgoland and Swepstone.

I brought the wrong pair of glasses with me somehow. Often on a short ride I'll just grab a pair of old varifocals rather than my cycling glasses, but this time I brought reading glasses. I put them away in my jersey and made do with unassisted eyeballs, but I found I was able to read the bike computer and my watch, albeit with slight difficulty. And I didn't mind the slightly unfocussed view of my surroundings. I did get a couple of small flies in my eyes though.

Listened to 5 Live, which marked the first anniversary of the Taleban taking over in Afghanistan, an event which to the BBC is only about girls being prevented from going to school. Also featured: Graeme Souness and his crime against humanity.

Back on 25.26, more on Wednesday I hope.

https://www.strava.com/activities/7643475203
H5N1 kIlled a wild swan

Nickslikk2112

Of late I've been alternating between weeks on the Bianchi and weeks on the Giant TCR. This week was set to be a TCR week, although I had said to Mrs S that if the week were wet, which it could be, then the disc braked Bianchi was the better option.

Anway, I was prepping the TCR and had cleaned it and cleaned and lubed chain. I then decided to check the sealant levels in the tyres, especially as the rear tyre/wheel is new and it can do with extra checking. So, I let the air out of the tyre and the beading came out of the rim. Bum. Gave it a blast from the air tank, it appeared to pop back in, let out the air to put sealant in, just as the last bit of air came out so did the tyre bead. Repeat a stupid number of times.

I decided that maybe the beading had stretched - yeah- so I thought I'd try the old tyre from the old wheel. That wouldn't seat at all. So, it was try the new tyre in stock. Back to situation number one. Reading up on other people's travails someone else had given it a tank blast, then fitted the valve core back before the tyre fully deflated which solved the problem. I tried it and the blast of air from the valve blew the valve core down the patio...

However, I found that using just the track pump I could get the tyre to seat and I now have a tubeless sealant injector which will, if messily, put in sealant through a presta valve core. Success. I'm still using the Bianchi this week though...

I was going to fire off an email to the bloke who built the wheel for some advice, but he's on holiday for a fortnight...

Slim

Rain this morning. Dry, excepting a few puddles by the time I downed tools in the afternoon - but much cooler weather than the last few days. Almost cold! And windy, and overcast. Positively autumnal.

I put a pair of cycling tights on, bringing to end what must surely be the longest run of legs-out rides in my cycling career. I put several waist-up layers on as well, including a fleece. I was comfortably warm enough but I didn't overheat.

Started off a bit indecisively up Ashby Road before turning back after a minute or so to start the eastbound route. I only had a vague idea of what I was going to do. I suppose (in hindsight) maybe Six Hills and back might have been well-suited to the conditions, with the wind coming from the NE. But I got as far as the junction at Hathern and decided to go up the A6, just to do something different. I assumed I'd find a left turn to come back toward Long Whatton or Diseworth but I'd done two miles of the busy A road before I found a suitable turn, to Donington. Shortly after that I found a left turn to Long Whatton. Quite an enjoyable stretch of road that, one I'd not done before. A bit twisty, and patchy in places but quiet.

Came home a time-honoured way from Whatton once I'd got my bearings (I took the wrong turn at the T junction there initially). Tried to extend my ride a bit by taking a detour along Breedon Lane, then detouring into Coalville for a bit. But I was still back on a disappointing 27.97 miles.

Following your nose and faffing about can sometimes cause you to do longer distances than you intended, but sometimes they can bring you home sooner than you wanted. And that was the case today. But I'll try to do at least 40 on Friday.

Anyway, 302 done this month so the target 400 miles should be eminently doable.

I've now done more than 15 hours of DAB time on the same pair of Alkaline AAs. Very happy with that.

https://www.strava.com/activities/7655199470

H5N1 kIlled a wild swan

Nickslikk2112

Tights? I try not to wear them until November, I thought yesterday was just right - once I'd warmed up. Didn't enjoy it being a gravel ride though, all Tuesday's rain had washed a load of gravelly detritus out into the roads making for some pretty sketchy cornering and descending at times, even on what are normally decent roads.

A bit warmer today, but my legs felt empty. Wasn't particularly slower than on the same ride in previous weeks, but I think the wind direction helped.

Slim

Another warm day yesterday and with a stiff wind coming from the west, I thought a trip after work along the Beloved A Road was in order. I went as far as Hatton, where I acquired a pork pie and a triple Bounty bar from the petrol station - then turned for home.

Just lovely on the way back in the warm evening sunshine with a gentle tailwind. I decided to atone for my short ride on Wednesday by extending the ride a bit. I had two options - either to continue on after Swarkestone through Weston, Aston and Shardlow then come down through Donington - or to hang a left at Melbourne for Isley Walton, then come down Top Brand. I opted for the latter. The Donington option would have added at least 6 miles (at a guess, I haven't worked it out) but I thought I'd get at least 4 from detouring through Isley Walton.

No-one At The Bridge

In fact it adds a bit less than 2.5 miles. Still - back on 46.15 miles, happy enough with that.

There are some enormous farm vehicles on the roads at the moment. I had one coming toward me that literally took up 2/3 of the width of a decent sized road. No way I could have got past it in a car. And I was overtaken by a speeding fire engine along Ashby Road, just a couple of miles from home. I was slightly concerned to see it take the left turn for Ravenstone ahead of me, but I couldn't see any houses on fire in the village when I arrived there.

Astonishingly, my new Roberts personal DAB got another 4.5 hours from the same pair of Alkaline batteries - that's nearly 20 hours out of them, and they aren't dead yet. I wouldn't have to think about taking spares with me on a long ride. I could even take them out and use them in a front light over the last couple of hours, especially if I took high capacity AAs and used an MP3 player for some of the ride.

Anyway that's 348 this month. More tomorrow hopefully.

https://www.strava.com/activities/7665876264

H5N1 kIlled a wild swan