Pedestrian Jailed over Cyclist Death

Started by Slim, March 02, 2023, 06:40:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Slim

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-cambridgeshire-64824436

Custodial sentence appropriate here? I think so. If she'd tried to do that to me I would have slapped her as I rode past.
H5N1 kIlled a wild swan

Fishy

Looks and sounds like a right unsympathetic cow...
From The Land of Honest Men

pdw1

Just down the road from me. Very sad. The cyclist was 77. I doubt she was much of a threat to the pedestrian.

Nickslikk2112

Probably fair, but if she'd knocked the cyclist off whilst driving there may not have been gaol time - the Polis institutionally ant-cyclist.

You shouldn't cycle on the footway though, I know there's doubt about its status, but it doesn't look like a shared use path. Personally, when walking on the footway, if a cyclist comes towards me I spread out my arms and walk from side to side.

The Picnic Wasp

I don't know about this. I've watched the video and it didn't seem very extreme behaviour although it resulted in a complete tragedy. No doubt after her conviction, when her previous record could be found, examined and taken into account this might have had a bearing on her sentence. I don't have any knowledge of this though. I've watched hidden camera documentaries in the past where police officers have been targeted and viciously attacked resulting in serious injury, and the attacker escaped a custodial sentence. There doesn't seem to be consistency. Maybe it was the lack of remorse which in the circumstances is inexplicable. Horrible, difficult case.

pdw1

Having thrown the woman into the path of a car she wandered off to do her shopping; didnt even wait around for the police or ambulance.

On the local news they showed how there was a joint cycle path sign 100m up the pavement but nothing to show where it started or finished. It is next to a dual carriage way ring road but still a typical piece of rubbish cycling infrastructure.

Nick - I dont think ants should cycle either.

Nickslikk2112

Quote from: pdw1 on March 02, 2023, 11:35:04 PMOn the local news they showed how there was a joint cycle path sign 100m up the pavement but nothing to show where it started or finished. It is next to a dual carriage way ring road but still a typical piece of rubbish cycling infrastructure.
Better no cycling infrastructure than rubbish. Roads are for cyclists, whatever drivists may think. Roads became flat because of cyclists. I've said it before and I'll say it again, riding a bicycle should be part of a driving test, then drivists wouldn't complain about cyclists not knowing the rules of the road - although 99% of qualified drivists wilfully ignore them.

QuoteNick - I dont think ants should cycle either.
The Polis do.

David L

Excessive punishment IMHO. The woman in question is partially-sighted and suffers from cerebral palsy.
The onus of responsibility was on the cyclist as the pedestrian is most vulnerable when sharing space (which the pedestrian may not have been aware was the case here).
Tragic nevertheless

dom

Quote from: David L on March 03, 2023, 10:37:38 AMExcessive punishment IMHO. The woman in question is partially-sighted and suffers from cerebral palsy.
The onus of responsibility was on the cyclist as the pedestrian is most vulnerable when sharing space (which the pedestrian may not have been aware was the case here).
Tragic nevertheless

|I agree to a point and as Nick says if she'd been driving a car, chances are she would not be serving time. 

But a 77 year old woman, even one on a bike, sounds pretty vulnerable to me. I imagine she was cycling pretty slowly and not able to cause much damage to the pedestrian.

David L

Quote from: dom on March 03, 2023, 10:52:32 AM
Quote from: David L on March 03, 2023, 10:37:38 AMExcessive punishment IMHO. The woman in question is partially-sighted and suffers from cerebral palsy.
Tragic nevertheless

|I agree to a point and as Nick says if she'd been driving a car, chances are she would not be serving time. 

But a 77 year old woman, even one on a bike, sounds pretty vulnerable to me. I imagine she was cycling pretty slowly and not able to cause much damage to the pedestrian.
There's still a hierarchy to be observed, regardless

pdw1

Quote from: David L on March 03, 2023, 12:27:48 PMThere's still a hierarchy to be observed, regardless

I would agree with you there but not in this case. Should the car driver be blamed (and punished) for the whole sad incident? After all there is a hierarchy.

I think the pedestrian would not have been charged let alone given 3 years if there had not been such clear CCTV with audio. The pedestrian clearly goes for the cyclist.

David L

Quote from: pdw1 on March 03, 2023, 07:45:17 PM
Quote from: David L on March 03, 2023, 12:27:48 PMThere's still a hierarchy to be observed, regardless

I would agree with you there but not in this case. Should the car driver be blamed (and punished) for the whole sad incident? After all there is a hierarchy.

I think the pedestrian would not have been charged let alone given 3 years if there had not been such clear CCTV with audio. The pedestrian clearly goes for the cyclist.
I may have got this wrong, because I've not studied the CCTV. I'm happy to accept that