The Incredibles

Started by Matt2112, May 22, 2022, 07:45:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Matt2112

Another chalked off my list of "I Can't Believe You Haven't Seen That!" (see the thread on that theme elsewhere on the forum :) ).

Of all the Disney/Pixar films that have won the Best Animated Feature Oscar, I think that this is probably the most deserving (this won in 2005).  I also think, of those I've seen, this is the best Pixar film of all.

It has so many wonderful qualities, so beautifully executed and so perfectly pitched, that it's difficult to know where to start.

The high concept of "family try to deal with their super-hero powers" obviously will require an engaging and authentic balance of domestic comedy-drama and kinetic action, but fortunately writer/director Brad Bird oversees this all with a virtuoso hand.

There is a quite brilliant little "grace note" that has become lodged in my mind (I don't think this is a spoiler): an astonishing jump cut from a scene where Mr Incredible is doing his super-hero thing in a glamorous, exotic location, to his super-hero wife (not knowing what he's up to) back home, stressed and hands full with domestic chores.

There's so much that's great about this, so much going on, so much crackling invention, wit and astuteness in the themes and the direction and the script.  It's the also the most cinematic Pixar film I've seen and while there aren't that many laugh-out-loud moments, there's a vein of clever, knowing and irreverent humour running all the way through it, even in tiny moments like when it's inferred the villain is running partly on marching powder.

I had to think about my rating, because I'll only give full marks to something truly exceptional.  But, on reflection, I believe this really is.

Rating: *****