Vegetarian/vegan meals

Started by Nick, May 20, 2022, 07:41:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nick

Just cooked a stir fry with 3 different types of mushroom, peppers, broccoli etc. Very nice and certainly didn't miss any meat. I think there is a fair bit of salt hidden in the dark and light soy sauces used though.

I did buy some prawn crackers to serve alongside as well so animals may have died.

David L

We had a stir fry last night. We usually use Quorn pieces for protein but as I was in M&S last night we tried their Plant Kitchen 'No Chicken'. It was superior IMO. It is in more random shapes so appears more like chicken (Quorn is more cube-like).
More chicken-like in its texture too. Made from pea protein. A success

David L

Quote from: Nick on May 20, 2022, 07:41:20 PMI think there is a fair bit of salt hidden in the dark and light soy sauces used though.

Reduced-salt soy is available

Slim

I was vegetarian for 25 years and honestly never gave much thought to it. I did eat substitute meat things sometimes, like veggieburgers and veggie sausages. But mostly it was easy to find food that just didn't have meat in it.
H5N1 kIlled a wild swan

Thenop

I am a vegetarian, for a long time now. And it is very true that it used to be about just finding what you could get. The whole fancy subsitute meat thing really took off only a few years ago. They simply created a market for it, and it worked apparently.
Before that is was mostly veggie burgers, tofu & tempeh. Mind you, I love tempeh, used for nearly everything. Smoked tofu also: brilliant stuff.
And yes I do eat the occasional substitute but they are usually very salty.
Easy subsitutes are beans & mushrooms for me. And generally speaking just a lot of green vegetables.