Main Menu

Eurovision 2022

Started by R6GYY, May 14, 2022, 05:39:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

R6GYY

Just in case anyone will be watching the final tonight, feel free to post comments in here.
Please don't turn it political though (Ukraine are the hot favourites, and of course Russia are banned from entry this year).

We haven't heard any of the entries, but we do like to watch the spectacle and listen to Graham Norton's commentary and remarks.

Apparently (or so I read today) the UK entry is expected to do well this year. That would indeed be a turn up for the books.

Slim

Thanks Reg! I'll be watching. In a way I hope we don't do well because I can't abide the UK entry. But I do think we'll get more than last time, if only due to certain geo-political considerations which we needn't dwell on here.
H5N1 kIlled a wild swan

Slim

Well the Swiss lad looks refreshingly normal, I must say. And there's some eye candy from Spain and Sweden.

Mad that Australia is in this.
H5N1 kIlled a wild swan

Slim

Feel like I've heard this Czech Republic tune a thousand times. Boring recycled chord changes from a dozen tunes. Generic dance tune. Dull.

I'll give it 3. Nothing interesting or original.
H5N1 kIlled a wild swan

R6GYY

Slim

Romania. Bit more spirited. Feels like a pumped up folk tune. Not a great song but lots of energy. More in the Eurovision tradition. 5 out of 10.
H5N1 kIlled a wild swan

Slim

Portugal. Actually quite a nice ballad. Lovely harmonies in that middle eight. And her voice elevates it nicely. I'm assuming that is a woman, you can't always tell these days. 7.
H5N1 kIlled a wild swan

R6GYY

Portugal has been the most interesting so far, but will get lost along the way I think.

Slim

There's nothing quite so undistinguished as a rock band doing Eurovision and this Finnish entry is horrible plastic commercial hard rock. The theatrical posturing on the stage is comical. 3 out of 10.
H5N1 kIlled a wild swan

R6GYY

Agreed re: Finland.

I can't see the Swiss entry doing well. Bit of a yawn fest to these ears at least.

Slim

Wow this Swiss tune is rather nice! Proper big band ballad like something from the '50s, with strings and a bit of clarinet. Reminds me of Try A Little Tenderness. Good voice as well. 7.
H5N1 kIlled a wild swan

Slim

France. Spicy and spirited but again feels a bit generic. Folk music on speed again. Eastern-tinged, not particularly French in character. 5.
H5N1 kIlled a wild swan

R6GYY

Yeah. Not very French was it? Thought it was a bit messy.

Slim

Norway. A ridiculous novelty act. But are the crowd singing along? Feels like Eurovision by numbers but it's not a bad song. Not a good one either, 5. Maybe a 6.
H5N1 kIlled a wild swan

R6GYY

Norway has that Euro-weirdness vibe that might serve it well.