Main Menu

The New Doctor

Started by Slim, May 11, 2022, 02:58:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Slim

Someone's spliced together clips from another TV show with some Doctor Who footage to give an idea of what me might expect from the 14th Doctor.

I was expecting the 14th Doctor to be black, it's the BBC after all. Frankly I think that having a black Doctor is a pointless break with continuity, but that's not the problem here. It's not as stupid as having a female Doctor, either.

The Doctor should be mature. He should have a certain gravitas, an other-wordliness. The actor who portrays him should be able to convey the wisdom of centuries.

But I'm afraid this young man gives me the impression that he spends his spare time trying on his mum's underwear in front of a mirror.

H5N1 kIlled a wild swan

Matt2112

Stopped watching not long after Peter Davidson's stint.

pxr5

When it restarted with Christopher Ecclestone I managed to get as far as Matt Smith, then gave up after that. With the first run I stopped after Tom Baker.
"Oh, for the wings of any bird other than a Battery hen."

David L

Quote from: Matt2112 on May 11, 2022, 06:25:19 PMStopped watching not long after Peter Davidson's stint.
Jon Pertwee was the last time I had any interest. You should really grow out of it IMHO  ;D  ;)

pdw1

He is not the youngest actor to play the doctor.
And you are definitely not the target audience

Slim

The thing is - I don't think it is just a kids' show, it always had a broad appeal and there were some decent science fiction ideas. This feels like a joke.
H5N1 kIlled a wild swan

David L

Quote from: Slim on May 11, 2022, 09:07:42 PMThe thing is - I don't think it is just a kids' show, it always had a broad appeal and there were some decent science fiction ideas.
Broad appeal? C'mon, it was always s**t! Shaky sets, baddies made up of sink plungers and old vacuum cleaner parts. Crap actors feigning fear and anxiety whilst being pursued by some poor blokes dressed in cereal boxes.
Then you had the on location thrills in the local quarry featuring 'huge' explosions that would fail to blow the skin off a rice pudding.
Some of the early totty was a nice distraction from the grade A nonsense though and the theme tune was decent but quality TV, it was not. BBC spent less per episode than Star Trek's producers spent on Spock's prosthetic ears

Nickslikk2112

Another box ticked.

Next Doctor Who to be Davros...

Slim

Quote from: David L on May 11, 2022, 09:27:37 PM
Quote from: Slim on May 11, 2022, 09:07:42 PMThe thing is - I don't think it is just a kids' show, it always had a broad appeal and there were some decent science fiction ideas.
Broad appeal? C'mon, it was always s**t! Shaky sets, baddies made up of sink plungers and old vacuum cleaner parts. Crap actors feigning fear and anxiety whilst being pursued by some poor blokes dressed in cereal boxes.
Then you had the on location thrills in the local quarry featuring 'huge' explosions that would fail to blow the skin off a rice pudding.
Some of the early totty was a nice distraction from the grade A nonsense though and the theme tune was decent but quality TV, it was not. BBC spent less per episode than Star Trek's producers spent on Spock's prosthetic ears

And yet - it has endured as a national institution for nearly 60 years, despite BBC efforts to ruin it over the last four or five.

Agreed that the production values of the first run were often terrible but the basic premise was brilliant, and some of the ideas - the Cybermen and the Daleks especially - have gone on to have a life of their own independently from the Doctor Who franchise in various audio adaptations, comics, books etc.
H5N1 kIlled a wild swan

David L

Quote from: Slim on May 11, 2022, 10:03:20 PMAnd yet - it has endured as a national institution for nearly 60 years, despite BBC efforts to ruin it over the last four or five.

Yeah, I don't know how the BBC manage to do it. I mean, convince a huge amount of the population that crap TV should be revered. Perhaps because they are the 'National Broadcaster', that we are all made to pay for, people take it hook, line and sinker. See also Eastenders

Slim

The Doctor's new companion is a transvestite Person of Colour. Because of course it is.

H5N1 kIlled a wild swan

David L

;D (Careful, people have been cancelled for less!)
They can't help themselves. The sooner we can choose to stop financing this stuff the better

Matt2112

It doesn't appear to be about the story any more, just about the "message" - because, clearly, audiences are just too stupid to discern things for themselves. ::)

David L

Quote from: Matt2112 on May 18, 2022, 10:39:55 PMIt doesn't appear to be about the story any more, just about the "message" - because, clearly, audiences are just too stupid to discern things for themselves. ::)
In the BBC's view, every one of us needs a little help in being able to appreciate the new world they envision and desire. Social engineering, paid for by the likes of you and I