Music Autobiographies

Started by Slim, May 11, 2022, 02:14:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Slim

Prompted by the news that Bono is going to release his memoirs.

I keep meaning to read Pete Townshend's autobiography, but never seem to get round to it. I've bought KK Downing's, but I've only dipped into the first few pages so far.

Actually I think the only notable musician memoir I've read is Ghost Rider.

Any recommendations?
H5N1 kIlled a wild swan

pxr5

I've recently read these:

Bruce Dickinson - What does this Button Do?  I wished he'd included more IM stuff, rather than his solo career/exploits. 7/10
KK Downing - Heavy Duty: Days and Nights in Judas Priest  Pretty good, but some underlying bitterness there. 7/10
Rob Halford - Confess  Probably the best of these 3, likely due to how he tried to hide his gay life. 8.5/10

When I've finished my current book I'll be reading Steven Wilson's Limited Edition of One, which has good reviews.
"Oh, for the wings of any bird other than a Battery hen."

Nick

Motley Crue .. The Dirt.

A great blast of hedonism.

David L

Excellent:
Peter Frampton - Do You Feel Like I Do?
Roger Daltrey - Thanks A Lot Mr Kibblewhite

OK:
Bernie Marsden - Where's My Guitar?
Tony Iommi - Iron Man

Nickslikk2112

Lemmy's is OK, forget what it's called though.

Slim

Oh yes, I did read that one on holiday a few years ago. White Line Fever.

H5N1 kIlled a wild swan

captainkurtz

Mick Walls are all worth a read.
I love Mark Blake's Queen, Peter Grant, Pink Floyd and The Who's books.
Similarly, Paul Trynka's books on Iggy Pop, David Bowie and Brian Jones are meticulously researched and eminently readable.
Barney Hoskins Zeppelin book is excellent.
Keith Richards autobiography'Life' is a hoot.
Tony Fletcher's 'Dear Boy' about Keith Moon is superb.
Under The Ivy - Kate Bush, again, superbly researched and very illuminating.
'Nothin' to Lose' by Ken Sharp on the early kiss years.
Walk this Way - Aerosmith by Hammer of the Gods author, Stephen Davis.
Loved Dave Groh's storyteller book.
Neil Young's Shakey.
What you want is in the Limo - Michael Walker
Roomful of Mirrors or Setting the Record Straight - Hendrix books.

Not music related, but I enjoyed the recent Bob Mortimer book.  Really touching in parts and a lot of his feelings mirrored my own..

captainkurtz

I'm sure you'd also enjoy Revolution in the Head, if you've not already read it.

Slim

Quote from: captainkurtz on May 16, 2022, 08:00:15 AMI'm sure you'd also enjoy Revolution in the Head, if you've not already read it.

I love that book. I have three copies.
H5N1 kIlled a wild swan

pdw1

Quote from: Slim on May 16, 2022, 09:42:33 AM
Quote from: captainkurtz on May 16, 2022, 08:00:15 AMI'm sure you'd also enjoy Revolution in the Head, if you've not already read it.

I love that book. I have three copies.
wot vinyl, Cd & 50th anniversary deluxe edition?  ;D

Slim

There are three editions; the last one is "corrected" by another author (the original writer Ian MacDonald having died), informed by the McCartney biography and other sources unavailable when the first was published (1994).

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Revolution_in_the_Head:_The_Beatles%27_Records_and_the_Sixties

I don't like the later version so much as I don't quite share the second writer's take and I find the edits superfluous in the main.
H5N1 kIlled a wild swan

R6GYY

I can't remember reading much in the way of musicians' biographies, although I do remember reading and enjoying Greg Lake's Lucky Man (I picked it up in a Costa as it happens).

I know I had Gary Numan's Praying To The Aliens at some point in my life, but I never got around to reading it, and I don't know where it is now.

Thenop

I enjoyed the 1990 Miles Davis biography. It's a sort of tell all and he is open about a lot of things. I do recommend to listen to Miles speak prior to starting the book - just try and have his voice in your ears. It'll make for a fantastic experience.