Spirits

Started by Slim, May 09, 2022, 10:49:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Slim

I bought a half bottle of rum, earlier. I associate dark rum above all with my Grandad - it was his favourite tipple.

He would have turned 128 ten days ago. So in honour of the original James Gibbon, I thought I'd have a small tot out of a glass that was made for him. I don't think you can see the inscription that's etched into it in a quite attractive script, but it says "J Gibbon Tyrol 1967"

He was a medical orderly in the Great War, then a transport police sergeant.

Here's to you, Jim.
H5N1 kIlled a wild swan

David L

Quote from: Slim on May 09, 2022, 10:49:10 PMI bought a half bottle of rum, earlier. I associate dark rum above all with my Grandad - it was his favourite tipple.

He would have turned 128 ten days ago. So in honour of the original James Gibbon, I thought I'd have a small tot out of a glass that was made for him. I don't think you can see the inscription that's etched into it in a quite attractive script, but it says "J Gibbon Tyrol 1967"

He was a medical orderly in the Great War, then a transport police sergeant.

Here's to you, Jim.
What rum did you go for?

Slim

Tesco own brand. :-[

My Grandad used to drink Lamb's Navy Rum. Nothing fancy. I might have bought a bottle of that but unfortunately I cannot trust myself with a full 70cl bottle of spirits.

The Tesco isn't at all bad though.
H5N1 kIlled a wild swan

Blastzone

My tipple is Bourbon . Rediscovered Woodford Reserve again recently . Quite excellent

Slim

I used to drink Bourbon a lot in my 20s, my all-time favourite was Old Grandad. I bought a bottle of 100 proof in New York in 1987. Very strong, smoky taste but a bit like a temporary lobotomy.
H5N1 kIlled a wild swan

Slim

I was gifted a whisky tasting set by my stepdaughter. Five 3cl bottles of various Scotch whiskies, some blended, some single malt.

Tried Monkey Shoulder first. I've had it before actually. A bit like Highland Park, despite being blended. Not quite so refined or smooth. I liked it but not that much. A little bit peaty. I must confess I did ruin my palate by eating it with lime & sea salt chocolate, and it wasn't a great accompaniment to that (or vice versa). It's fine though, definitely a better option than Bells, Famous Grouse, Grants et al.

Second up: Green Isle, a blended I hadn't heard of. Very Islay-ish, like the Laphroaig but a lot rougher. A bit of a burnt rubber vibe from this one. I tempered it with an ice cube and a touch of Drambuie to take the edge off. Not recommended. I like Islays a lot but I didn't like this.

To Be Continued
H5N1 kIlled a wild swan

Nickslikk2112

Had a wee dram of Highland Park 18yo yesterday in memory of my old father. He'd opened the bottle on Christmas day last year and we never got round to sampling it. He was a bit miffed about that.

Much smoother and more intense than the 12yo version.

The Picnic Wasp

I've never enjoyed whisky. I revisit the notion that I might one day have a more sophisticated palate and acquire a taste for it. I bought a bottle of Tamnavulin which Tesco had on offer recently. It was described as quite a sweet Speyside malt which appealed to me, but I had to take it with a fair bit of water to kill the fire which I suppose isn't what you're supposed to do. I tend to buy Olmeca Altos Plata tequila nowadays if I think I'll have a night when spirits could be involved. I don't think I've hit upon the correct mixer for it yet. Most recent was Barr's limeade which was a bit too sweet.

Slim

Quote from: The Picnic Wasp on December 26, 2022, 12:41:09 PMI tend to buy Olmeca Altos Plata tequila nowadays if I think I'll have a night when spirits could be involved. I don't think I've hit upon the correct mixer for it yet. Most recent was Barr's limeade which was a bit too sweet.

I suggest soda water and lime juice, or a wedge of lime. Or if you can be bothered, make a margarita.
H5N1 kIlled a wild swan

Slim

Quote from: Slim on December 25, 2022, 07:49:52 PMTo Be Continued

Next up: Deanston Virgin Oak. Very nice, this one. Dark, peaty but smooth. Hints of citrus; pungent and oily. Slightly medicinal with overtones of toasted almonds covered in Germolene. A bit stronger as well at 46.3%.

Might treat myself to a somewhat larger bottle of this.
H5N1 kIlled a wild swan

The Picnic Wasp

Quote from: Slim on December 28, 2022, 11:44:44 AM

Next up: Deanston Virgin Oak. Very nice, this one. Dark, peaty but smooth. Hints of citrus; pungent and oily. Slightly medicinal with overtones of toasted almonds covered in Germolene. A bit stronger as well at 46.3%.

Might treat myself to a somewhat larger bottle of this.

I suppose a hip flask of this might be handy if you slipped and grazed a knee. I was given a gift of a peaty whisky once. I took one sip and gave it to my neighbour who loves all the Islay types. I just can't live with it at all. Strange how people's taste varies so much.

David L

Quote from: Slim on December 28, 2022, 11:44:44 AM

Slightly medicinal with overtones of toasted almonds covered in Germolene.
You're not selling it to me, tbh

Slim

Next up - a classic, the 12YO Glenfiddich. Never been a favourite of mine but I've always liked it. It was the single malt that was common before the single malt craze took hold - you'd always see a bottle of it racked up behind the bar at pubs in Hartlepool, and I used to drink it occasionally when I was 18 and 19 at the Blacksmith's Arms. Back in those days you'd rarely see a Talisker, or a Glenlivet. There'd be a bottle of Glenfiddich for the more discerning drinker, and a Bells for the riff-raff.

You rarely see those optics racks in pubs now, do you? With the bottles lined up upside down with dispenser nozzles attached. Or perhaps I just go to a better class of establishment now.

Anyway - just as I always remember it, pleasant but a bit nondescript. Decent strong flavour but not distinctive. Fruity and rich with an aftertaste similar to digestive biscuits smeared with honey.
H5N1 kIlled a wild swan

pxr5

Riff-raff, that's me then. I like whiskey, but these single malts are wasted on me. Bells, Teachers, Famous Grouse are all fine. Same as wine, it's either red, white or rose - those are my selection choices  ;D
"Oh, for the wings of any bird other than a Battery hen."

Slim

Lastly on the tasting agenda, a 10YO single malt called Aerolite Lyndsay, which sounds more like a brand of building material to me than of Scotland's national drink. It's something like I'd imagine a blend of the Talisker and Laphroaig to taste - a typical Islay. A bit more zing than the Laphroaig. A bit smokier than the Talisker but not quite as maritime. There's a hint of second-hand bookshops in the bouquet. I liked it.

Just read that it costs £70 a go for a full bottle; perhaps it would have tasted better if I'd known that before I finished it. Aerolite Lyndsay is an anagram of Ten Year Old Islay which somewhat limits their options if they ever decided to bring out (say) a 12YO edition. Perhaps it could be called A Rilly Love Ya Tweeds.

H5N1 kIlled a wild swan