Main Menu

Albums that Most People Own

Started by pxr5, May 06, 2022, 02:32:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

pxr5

This sprung up in the vinyl thread, but probably needs its own place. So what albums do you think most people would own.

I'd say Brothers in Arms, Automatic for the People, Tubular bells, Dark Side of the Moon.

Slim came up with Zeppelin IV, Abbey Road, Sergeant Pepper, Rumours, Thriller

Thenop added Back in Black too.

Also what album(s) do you own, have owned, most copies of. Mine is The The - Infected. I owned it on vinyl and VHS (a video was was made for each track). When I first met my wife she had it on cassette and then we bought it on CD. I've since bought a remaster - so 5 different copies/versions.
"Oh, for the wings of any bird other than a Battery hen."

Nickslikk2112

Queen's Greatest Hits would turn up an awful lot. Maybe the Joshua Tree.

As for most copies: King Crimson - ITCotCK

Twice on Vinyl
Once on Vanilla CD
40th Anniversary CD/DVD
50th Anniversary CD/DVD Blu-Ray
1969 The Complete Recordings

Slim

I have three vinyl copies of All The World's A Stage and one CD copy. I think it's probably that one. I have a lot of albums on both CD and vinyl. I think I have two CD versions of Close To The Edge - the Yes remastering exercise was an industry in its own right - and my original vinyl from the '70s.

I have a picture disc version of Power Windows as well as the standard vinyl and the CD.

I always loved the triplefold packaging of ATWAS. My friend Arthur had it, the import version bought at the end of 1976. By the time I finally got round to buying my own copy - it was a low priority, because I had a cassette copy that I'd made myself - it had been released in the UK as a double gatefold and that was all I could get.

I finally bought a triplefold version in the '90s from someone in Canada on the old National Midnight Star mailing list. A Mercury edition. And I bought an Anthem one about ten years ago.

Just been googling and I'd forgotten that there was a 2015 remaster of ATWAS, don't think I've ever heard it.
H5N1 kIlled a wild swan

Thenop

Most owned albums probably some Kiss albums, Destroyer I have on cd twice, the old lp, a new copy, the Destroyer resurrected and the 45th ann reissue. So....ehm...6 times.

pdw1

ABBA - Greatest Hits
Metallica - the black album

Thenop

Quote from: pdw1 on May 06, 2022, 06:21:31 PMABBA - Greatest Hits
Metallica - the black album

Ah yes, the black album.
Maybe GNR Appetite as well? Nirvana's Nevermind? Pearl Jam's Ten? All albums that sold really well in that period of time people bought physical product.
And a bit earlier: JC Superstar I recall seeing at a lot of people's homes.

pxr5

I often search on ebay for joblots, and I notice the same ones coming up for sale over and over:

Mike Oldfield - TB, Ommadawn and Incantations
Sky albums 1,2,3 and 4
Peter Frampton - Frampton Comes Alive.

I quite like Mike Oldfield and like the ones just mentioned, but I have no idea about Sky or Frampton. I wonder why they are so popular.
"Oh, for the wings of any bird other than a Battery hen."

Slim

I remember the first couple of Sky singles - they were awful. Great respect for John Williams as a classical player but that pop / classical thing they attempted was cheesy in the extreme. Hope I never have to hear Carillon again.
H5N1 kIlled a wild swan

Matt2112

Jagged Little Pill

The Immaculate Collection

Rufus_the_dawg

What about Pet Sounds, Sadie, Moby Rolling Stones, Bruce Springsteen?

Rufus_the_dawg

Quote from: Slim on May 06, 2022, 07:46:26 PMI remember the first couple of Sky singles - they were awful. Great respect for John Williams as a classical player but that pop / classical thing they attempted was cheesy in the extreme. Hope I never have to hear Carillon again.

You are so right, just watched a John Williams on the BBC on BBC4 and one of the Sky musicians was trying to say that JW made guitarists open their minds to Rock guitarists playing classical or something like that. err Fripp, John McLaughlin, Even Lifeson

Jonners

so many of those albums above i dont own. and never will...... (caught a case of the Zoonies....)

Matt2112

QuoteYou are so right, just watched a John Williams on the BBC on BBC4 and one of the Sky musicians was trying to say that JW made guitarists open their minds to Rock guitarists playing classical or something like that. err Fripp, John McLaughlin, Even Lifeson

Steve Howe. 🙂

Red Lenses

Quote from: Jonners on May 09, 2022, 10:08:32 AMso many of those albums above i dont own. and never will...... (caught a case of the Zoonies....)

Same, I don't have any of the albums quoted in the first 2 posts !!
edit to add; I did once own Dark Side of the Moon on vinyl but no longer have it.

I'll throw in;
Iron Maiden - Number of the Beast
The Police - Reggatta de Blanc
U2 - The Joshua Tree

Ali

I think the record number of versions I own will be for the second album I ever bought, in 1976:

Dark Side

Vinyl -
UK original with posters and stickers
German white vinyl (1977)
French blue vinyl (1978)
US Picture Disc (1978, Capitol Records)

CD -
UK original (booklet says Made in Japan)
US original (Capitol Records)
UK 20th Anniversary in clam-shell box with postcards
US 2003 remaster SACD
EU 2011 remaster with Live Empire Pool, Wembley '74 second disc

So just the 9 then 😂