BT FTTH

Started by Fishy, May 01, 2022, 08:08:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fishy

Anyone got it ? and can you use your own router with it and patch to a WAN port?
From The Land of Honest Men

Slim

I have BT VDSL, not the "Ultrafast Broadband" offering that's being touted at the moment. I'm sure you'll be able to use your own router with it if you want to, just a question of hooking it up. And I suspect we'll have an expert opinion in this thread before long.

H5N1 kIlled a wild swan

Fishy

To answer my own question I think you can use your own router as long as it can be setup for PPPoe login and password... which for BT is fairly generic

pxr5

With FTTP you just connect the ONT Ethernet port to the WAN port of the router. So make sure the router you choose has a WAN port that can run at Gigabit speeds (10000Mbps). Use the generic BT access bthomehub@btbroadband.com with password either blank or "BT".

I use a Zyxel vmg8924-10a router with BT FTTC. This router would work with FTTP too as it has a Gigabit WAN port.
"Oh, for the wings of any bird other than a Battery hen."

Fishy

Got an ASUS router with a WAN gb currently  with virgin but they're putting the prices up and my contract is up in July with them..

Slim

Quote from: Fishy on May 02, 2022, 03:12:23 PMTo answer my own question I think you can use your own router as long as it can be setup for PPPoe login and password... which for BT is fairly generic

You could hang your own router off the one supplied with the service if necessary. I do this with an old router in my garage so I can have wifi in there, connected via ethernet over mains to the main router.
H5N1 kIlled a wild swan

Fishy

Quote from: Slim on May 02, 2022, 06:18:58 PM
Quote from: Fishy on May 02, 2022, 03:12:23 PMTo answer my own question I think you can use your own router as long as it can be setup for PPPoe login and password... which for BT is fairly generic

You could hang your own router off the one supplied with the service if necessary. I do this with an old router in my garage so I can have wifi in there, connected via ethernet over mains to the main router.
Got a virtual Cisco wlan controller running with Access points around the house and garage so wifi is in pretty  good shape

Fishy

Anyone know how accommodating BT are if you wanted the incoming copper line which would be replaced for fibre if going down the FTTP option routed to another part of the house?

Rufus_the_dawg

I have full fibre to my door, brilliant. I went from half a meg (and lots of problems) download to 60 meg. The welsh government put it in a few years ago. And I live in the middle of the Welsh Marches down the end of a track.