Main Menu

Guilty Pleasures

Started by Slim, April 27, 2022, 06:25:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Slim

To be honest I don't really feel guilty about any music that I like, but I do like some tunes that might be considered embarrassing by some.

Here's a belter - a perfect pop tune that's actually very harmonically interesting. The winner of the 1975 Eurovision Song Contest, and the best Eurovision tune ever by far. Even Waterloo can't touch it.

If you've watched the video all the way through and you haven't got a crush on Getty Kaspers, there's something wrong with you. I do include any female readers in that assessment.
H5N1 kIlled a wild swan

Thenop

Ah, the infamous Dutch winner. Might be a guilty pleasure for you (or not) but I was flooded with this as you can imagine.
Fun fact: all of this beauty was to be heard in Dutch on our radio stations as "Tikke Tak" (probaly best translatted as tickety tock, like in an hourwork) which makes a lot more sense if heard in Dutch because it really is about time passing. The English version is largely gibberish.

On topic: I spent most of my childhood listening to Kiss...

pxr5

I love Eurovision, it's just so cheesy it's brilliant. We always have a party with games and score sheets. The acts have got more serious of late, so I doubt we'll ever the Russian grandmas or Polish cleaners with their heaving bosoms again.

I do like Frankie Goes to Hollywood and Welcome to the Pleasuredome is one of my favourite albums haha. Oh and The Carpenters and The Smiths (both very good in their own way though).
"Oh, for the wings of any bird other than a Battery hen."

Slim

Quote from: pxr5 on April 27, 2022, 07:44:49 PMI love Eurovision

I love Eurovision as well. It's a beautiful celebration of the nations of Europe united in fraternity, common purpose and shared values. Never fails to prompt a sentimental tear.
H5N1 kIlled a wild swan

Slim

And while we're on that subject, I've always quite liked this. This was the UK entry at the same Eurovision. This particular clip isn't from the actual competition though.

H5N1 kIlled a wild swan

Slim

By the way the bearded chap playing the Telecaster in that video is John Farrar. He didn't write Let Me Be The One but he did write You're The One That I Want and Hopelessly Devoted To You for the Grease film a couple of years later.

Nice little earner.
H5N1 kIlled a wild swan

Thenop

Eurovision was in my hometown last year, gave a good impression of the city which was good. Not the biggest fan of the event itself. The celebration of the bond between countries feels somewhat stained these days with neighboring eastern European countries handing out 'douze points' to each other quite easily. That said, the whole reason for it being in the Netherlands was because we won of course  :) How can you not like a contest you win?

Fishy

Kajagoogoo The Big Apple.... Always knew Beggsy would go on to great things...
From The Land of Honest Men

Slim

Not fond of the synthetic bass but this is a terrific song, performed with commendable energy.

H5N1 kIlled a wild swan

dom

Always liked Ray of Light by Madonna

Slim

Madge has put out some classy tunes in her time. I like this one:

H5N1 kIlled a wild swan

Rufus_the_dawg

is this a guilty pleasure or genius....

pxr5

^ Both, that was a good tune.
"Oh, for the wings of any bird other than a Battery hen."

Rufus_the_dawg

Quote from: pxr5 on April 29, 2022, 12:01:04 PM^ Both, that was a good tune.
Tried buying the 2014 Eurovision cd...20 squids, think not. 2014 was a great great year.

Matt2112

Most of the above are perfectly respectable by most standards.

I'm guessing pretty much all the proper dance "choons" that I profoundly enjoy (particularly those from the halcyon days of the 90s) would provoke something approaching revulsion amongst my friends here. 😏