Twitter

Started by Slim, April 25, 2022, 10:44:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Slim

Elon Musk has agreed a deal ($44 billion!) to buy Twitter. I'm an occasional user myself and will be interested to see what he's going to do with it. It's not really in his personality to just leave it alone; he will change the platform in some way or other.

Twitter is a pretty simple idea really, I wish I'd thought of it myself. $44 billion. It wasn't that long ago that it wasn't even making a profit.
H5N1 kIlled a wild swan

pdw1

He will get bored and sell it in 6 months time.

David L

He says he's an advocate of free speech which might mean that the platform may no longer interferes with the democratic process. That's a good thing in my book

Nick

Quote from: Slim on April 25, 2022, 10:44:39 PMTwitter is a pretty simple idea really, I wish I'd thought of it myself. $44 billion.

Between the wheels is only young, who knows what it will lead to?  :D

dom

Quote from: David L on April 26, 2022, 08:15:06 AMHe says he's an advocate of free speech which might mean that the platform may no longer interferes with the democratic process. That's a good thing in my book

Is freedom of speech for bots a good thing?
Is advocating racism or any hate speech?

However "free" he wishes to make it, it will surely need to comply with legal requirements in each country it operates in.  I imagine one of the main reasons that twitter banned Trump, for example,  was to protect itself from potential litigation.

David L

Quote from: dom on April 26, 2022, 04:05:04 PM
Quote from: David L on April 26, 2022, 08:15:06 AMHe says he's an advocate of free speech which might mean that the platform may no longer interferes with the democratic process. That's a good thing in my book

Is freedom of speech for bots a good thing?
Is advocating racism or any hate speech?

However "free" he wishes to make it, it will surely need to comply with legal requirements in each country it operates in.  I imagine one of the main reasons that twitter banned Trump, for example,  was to protect itself from potential litigation.
Breaking the law should not be tolerated. The ability to say something that offends should. For too long these social media companies have been the arbiter of what opinions are acceptable - not right and a bit too '1984' for my liking

pdw1

Quote from: David L on April 26, 2022, 05:32:35 PMBreaking the law should not be tolerated. The ability to say something that offends should. For too long these social media companies have been the arbiter of what opinions are acceptable - not right and a bit too '1984' for my liking
with views like that we might have to ban you from here ;)

Slim

Well this is encouraging

H5N1 kIlled a wild swan

Nick

The fall in the price of Tesla shares may now stop this going ahead as he was using equity from this to underwrite his offer. All very convoluted.

David L

Quote from: Slim on April 28, 2022, 10:46:52 AMWell this is encouraging

Doesn't matter who owns it, they'll struggle to take the twits out of Twitter

Slim

Elon's acquirement of Twitter is complete.

https://www.reuters.com/markets/deals/elon-musk-completes-44-bln-acquisition-twitter-2022-10-28/

I hope he doesn't bring the likes of Trump and Katie Hopkins back.
H5N1 kIlled a wild swan

Slim

Elon has tweeted that "Twitter obviously cannot become a free-for-all hellscape, where anything can be said with no consequences"

https://twitter.com/elonmusk/status/1585619322239561728
H5N1 kIlled a wild swan

dom

If he can make a better job of clearing out the bots, that will be a good thing

Matt2112

Never a dull moment with this guy; not sure how performative the eccentricity is, but it's damn entertaining.