Beer

Started by David L, April 24, 2022, 09:47:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Matt2112

To be fair, beers being called after the hops they're made from now seems to be as common as naming them "Blonde", "Gold" etc.

David L

Quote from: Matt2112 on June 24, 2023, 10:43:53 AMTo be fair, beers being called after the hops they're made from now seems to be as common as naming them "Blonde", "Gold" etc.
I did notice Oakham have registered Citra

Matt2112

Quote from: David L on June 24, 2023, 11:39:20 AM
Quote from: Matt2112 on June 24, 2023, 10:43:53 AMTo be fair, beers being called after the hops they're made from now seems to be as common as naming them "Blonde", "Gold" etc.
I did notice Oakham have registered Citra

Interesting - seems to be because it's the "original" citra hop imported from the US? I see it's a national award winner to boot, so definitely looks top class. :)

Slim

Fancied some Hoegaarden or Leffe. Tesco didn't have any Leffe and this was a bit cheaper than the Hoegaarden. Sorry to report that it's a bit rubbish. Actually 5.3% but somehow tastes weak. A bit tasteless all round.

H5N1 kIlled a wild swan

Matt2112

Surprises me that. I drank it quite often back when I could go out on the town every week and loved it.

Been a while since I've tried some though and might just have to revisit.

Nickslikk2112

Erdinger's a perfectly palatable Weissbier. Was it Hefe or Kristall, the Hefe is certainly more flavoursome.

Slim

Quote from: Nickslikk2112 on July 12, 2023, 09:51:41 PMErdinger's a perfectly palatable Weissbier. Was it Hefe or Kristall, the Hefe is certainly more flavoursome.

Doesn't say either on the label. Just Weissbier and Weissbrau.
H5N1 kIlled a wild swan

Slim

This is much more like it - a blonde beer called Delirium Tremens at a micropub in Ashby, about two hours ago. 7.5% and slipped down very nicely.

H5N1 kIlled a wild swan

The Picnic Wasp

Has there ever been a more inappropriate name for an alcoholic drink? I'm surprised it was allowed. Maybe an infamous fortified wine popular in some parts of the west of Scotland might actually be officially rebranded as "Wreck The Hoose".

Matt2112

Abbeydale of Sheffield have a stout called 'Last Rites' - ABV is 6.66%

No, really! :)

Nickslikk2112

Quote from: The Picnic Wasp on July 15, 2023, 07:22:01 PMHas there ever been a more inappropriate name for an alcoholic drink?
it's Belgian. Funny lot the Belgians, strange sense of humour.

The Picnic Wasp

Quote from: Nickslikk2112 on July 15, 2023, 09:25:35 PM
Quote from: The Picnic Wasp on July 15, 2023, 07:22:01 PMHas there ever been a more inappropriate name for an alcoholic drink?

Do you have any Belgian blood? 😉 Still, mussels, chips and mayonnaise. I could learn to endure that.

The Picnic Wasp

I've currently taken a strange liking to weaker lagers. Tennent's Light is good, Bud Light is fine and I hadn't realised Foster's had been reduced to 3.5% recently. I'm sure this will only be a short lived warmer weather phase and I will return to my more usual 4.5- 5.5% loutish varieties soon. I can never find Furstenberg though. Only one store locally stocked it and they closed a few months ago. I liked the entire range. Their standard Pilsner at 5.3% if I remember correctly and also the excellent Oktoberfest version. Occasionally their Dunkel bier although I've never been a fan of darker brews. A Guinness or rarely a London Pride for the odd change does me.

Slim

One night in the middle of summer about 25 years ago when I lived in a heat trap of a flat at the top of an old house in London, I created an alcohol-depleted beer by combining alcohol-free lager - I can't remember which one - in equal measures with conventional beer - Budvar, probably. It was very refreshing.

I well remember sitting in front of my Playstation and a mains-powered fan with a huge chilled jug of it. Good times.
H5N1 kIlled a wild swan

Nickslikk2112

Quote from: The Picnic Wasp on July 15, 2023, 09:45:10 PM
Quote from: Nickslikk2112 on July 15, 2023, 09:25:35 PM

Do you have any Belgian blood? 😉 Still, mussels, chips and mayonnaise. I could learn to endure that.
Absolutely not.

Love Belgian Beer and Frites and Cyclocross, can't abide mussels and mayonnaise.