Beer

Started by David L, April 24, 2022, 09:47:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

David L

Quote from: The Picnic Wasp on October 29, 2023, 08:05:30 PM
Quote from: David L on October 29, 2023, 05:40:23 PM
Quote from: The Picnic Wasp on October 28, 2023, 09:15:16 PMPicked up a couple of bottles of Hobgoblin Ruby in my usual weekend lager shop. Have to say I'm really enjoying them. Seem lighter in taste than when I've tried it before and I notice it is only 5.0% ABV which I think is less than my previous experience with it. Suits me to be honest. It takes away that heavy overbearing lava sensation that some darker beers deliver. Expecting a sore head tomorrow which lagers don't seem to give me. Well, at least the clocks go back to assist recovery.
You mean you like the taste of the contents of the mop bucket after they've been cleaning out the vats at the marmite factory?

It would appear so. My worst beer experience was in my formative years as a drinker. I sometimes stayed in on a Friday night if I was working the next day. My routine was very organised and almost brings a tear of happiness to my eye when I think about it. I would skip my usual evening meal and head out for my night's supplies. These would be enjoyed watching Cheers before I donned my headphones to listen to Tommy Vance, always hoping there would be a new Rush release. The night he played Time Stand Still is a night I shall never forget. I usually stopped at a local off licence close to a kebab shop where I would buy a large donner. I'd usually buy a few lagers like Labatt or Furstenburg or anything I hadn't tried before. However, one evening I took a detour when I noticed a new shop called Farmer George's. It was a kind of deli run by a young guy and stocked weird and wonderful provisions including alcohol. I picked up a few familiar beers but noticed bottles called EKU 28 and bought a couple of those too. Got home and couldn't wait to try my new find. Good Lord! It was vile. 11% ABV (I just looked it up as memory failed me). Thick, malty muck which reminded me of Virol, a vitamin supplement I was given as an infant. I think that it made me a confirmed lager man, but to be honest if you could only get mop bucket contents, I'd probably drink it.
A beer with an ABV of 11% is never going to end well! FWIW, Hobgoblin was first brewed here in Witney and I can't stand the stuff. Far too dark and gloopy for me. However, I don't mind a good Porter (like Titanic 'Plum Porter') or a decent Stout (Whitstable Bay 'Black Stout' is lovely)

The Picnic Wasp

Had a bit of a holiday weekend as I've decided to diet properly until Christmas, so I've indulged in a variety of difficult beers this last couple of days. I think I can recommend Aldi's Six States. A New England White IPA. Brewed in Scotland lol. But very nice.

Slim

Quote from: David L on October 29, 2023, 11:39:40 PMPersonally, I'm a fan of IPA-style beer, especially those containing Citra hops like Oakham Citra. I also like the American Pale Ale style such as Goose Island (available at Waitrose) but I would imagine that would be a bit too 'fruity' and 'complex' for your own taste. Adnams Ghost Ship would be a gentler introduction (widely available).
H5N1 kIlled a wild swan

Matt2112

I have something of a ritual when I've been to an away game down London way of popping in to the Little Waitrose at King's Cross station for a 4-pack for the journey back to West Yorkshire.

After a 0-0 draw at Barnet's The Hive stadium just over a month ago (the second successive time I've gone on a 400-mile round-trip to see us in a goalless draw at that place) the only choice I had for cans of beer for the way back (I keep forgetting to buy a bottle opener for my key ring) was Ghost Ship.

And...well, it wasn't too bad and did the job in the circumstances, but that's about the best I can say about it.

Matt2112

Quote from: Matt2112 on August 12, 2023, 09:54:24 PMAfter years of visits to Greece and its islands and enjoying probably its most well-known brew Mythos, in 2019 I was in Kefalonia (the correct placement of the stress is on the last syllable, not the third) and a barman suggested I try Alfa instead: since that moment, that's been my default Greek beer.

However, at a busy, buzzing Italian restaurant in the centre of Perissa town this evening, Mythos was the only beer available, so that's what I had. I've always liked it, but this time it was better than I remembered, a little lighter on the palate than Alfa, a little less gassy, but still with that glorious cold, crisp, supremely refreshing hit.

I think it may have reclaimed its crown. :)

Not sure what's influencing my mind on this, but Alfa is definitely superior (again) based on my visit to Greece's capital. ::) ;D

Matt2112

Found time for two or three cheeky ones at a Tower Hill pub round the corner from the hotel.

Tried a pint of Peroni which started out okay but I thought gradually tasted a bit "off" as I got toward the bottom of the glass.

So then for the first time I tried the Beavertown APA Gamma Ray (5.2%) to immediately discover it is right up my street: crisp, refreshing, with a satisfying potency...one of those stronger than average beers which dares you to ensure the night doesn't end well. ;) ;D

David L

Quote from: Matt2112 on November 04, 2023, 12:20:53 AMFound time for two or three cheeky ones at a Tower Hill pub round the corner from the hotel.

Tried a pint of Peroni which started out okay but I thought gradually tasted a bit "off" as I got toward the bottom of the glass.

So then for the first time I tried the Beavertown APA Gamma Ray (5.2%) to immediately discover it is right up my street: crisp, refreshing, with a satisfying potency...one of those stronger than average beers which dares you to ensure the night doesn't end well. ;) ;D
I'll take a Neck Oil if nothing else available but, like most keg beer, too cold and too fizzy. They're after the Lagerboys with those two IMHO (see also Punk IPA)

Matt2112

Not a fan of Brewdog - a triumph of marketing and branding over product. 

But fair play to them I suppose.

Slim

Back at the micropub in Ashby thus afternoon. Alas, the Delirium I'd promised myself is no longer available there. The barman explained that it had been replaced with something more appropriate to Winter.

So I tried something he recommended instead, called LAX or possibly LA X. Not nice. Pale in colour, very strong but a subtle hint of the slop bucket.

No real reason to go there now. They do whisky but you can get that anywhere, and other places in the area have decent beer.
H5N1 kIlled a wild swan

Nickslikk2112

Had a bottle of Fuller's 2011 Vintage Ale tonight.

Drinkable, but a touch of slop bucket to it - with lots of added caramel.

Slim

I saw this in Tesco and wondered if it might make a viable alternative to Delirium, which is £3 a bottle (whereas this is only £2.60 a go).

It's very similar - an 8% strength Belgian blonde - but not quite as sharp. Not sure it's worth it for 40p. I liked it a lot, though. Highly quaffable (actually it didn't taste particularly strong).

H5N1 kIlled a wild swan