Beer

Started by David L, April 24, 2022, 09:47:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

David L

I like Ghost Ship but didn't like the low alcohol version at all

Rufus_the_dawg

Quote from: David L on April 24, 2022, 09:47:13 AMI like Ghost Ship but didn't like the low alcohol version at all

it is brilliant.

Nickslikk2112

Quote from: Rufus_the_dawg on April 24, 2022, 06:03:35 PM
Quote from: David L on April 24, 2022, 09:47:13 AMI like Ghost Ship but didn't like the low alcohol version at all

it is brilliant.
It's gnats.

If you're not going to drink good proper beer you should drink Adam's ale.

I've lost a lot of respect for Adnams over the last few years.

Slim

I thought these posts deserved a separate topic.

I like San Miguel myself. Peroni and Moretti are nice, as well. I developed a taste for Japanese beer from frequenting sushi places in London. Kirin and Asahi, though I haven't seen Kirin for ages. Tesco do sell Asahi.

H5N1 kIlled a wild swan

David L

Had a bit of a 'do' around town Saturday night for a colleague's retirement. Nine of us out, only two (including myself) still working for the nation's favourite communications company  :D

First pub, The Cross Keys, is a Greene King ( :-\ ) establishment.........and I organised it! (it is central for meeting up but...what was I thinking??) So, it was Greene King IPA for starters (bland but the alternative was Abbot - yeuch!)).

Next up was the, one-time Witney Post Office the Part & Parcel. Now, usually they serve Little Ox 'Hufflepuff' a nice pale ale. Alas, not on. The only cask ale was from the same brewery, 'Ox Blood'. I was a bit disappointed as it is a dark beer. I shouldn't have been because it is contradictorily descrided as a 'red' IPA. It turned out to be a very nice pint (nice enough to have two!)

Then on to the Indian restaurant where I resigned myself to having to drink Cobra. Not the case! As bottles of London Pride were available so I had a brace (despite the unpleasant 'fizz' you get from a bottled beer)

Finally ended up in one of the most traditional pubs in Witney, the Eagle Tavern. For years this has served beer from Hook Norton brewery. I'm a bit "meh" about Hooky beers. My choice in the past would have been the Lion beer. An English bitter but quite light in colour with just a hint of citrus - not a favourite but better than the alternatives. However, they are now stocking the very pleasant 'Off The Hook' a new IPA (it has replaced discontinued Lion) which I first sampled at The Trumpet in Evesham a few weeks back. I was delighted.

So, a six pint night with a belly full of Indian nosh. Everyone had a great time so we vowed to repeat the experience in around six months.

Nickslikk2112

Quote from: Rufus_the_dawg on April 24, 2022, 11:05:02 PMDo you have any respect for anything though? apart from her indoors?

errrrrrr, no  ;D

David L

Quote from: Nickslikk2112 on April 25, 2022, 12:56:59 PM
Quote from: Rufus_the_dawg on April 24, 2022, 11:05:02 PMDo you have any respect for anything though? apart from her indoors?

errrrrrr, no  ;D
I'm pretty sure you didn't need that many r's to answer that one  ;D  ;)

Slim

Just about my favourite beer ever was this one. I haven't seen it since the late '70s or early '80s:

My dad used to drink it and he kept it in a cupboard (never the fridge. He used to claim that refrigerated beer gave you colic).

Another favourite that's long gone now is this one:

H5N1 kIlled a wild swan

David L

Never even seen Newcastle's 'Amber' ale. I used to drink Newcky Brown when I attended training courses at BT's college at Yarnfield, near Stone, Staffs. No idea why, never drank it anywhere else  ???

Long Life is one of those 70s 'throw-back' beers. File with Watney's Red Barrel and Double Diamond

Fishy

I've been on Jarl..
From The Land of Honest Men

dom

Quote from: David L on April 25, 2022, 01:43:19 PMNever even seen Newcastle's 'Amber' ale. I used to drink Newcky Brown when I attended training courses at BT's college at Yarnfield, near Stone, Staffs. No idea why, never drank it anywhere else  ???

Long Life is one of those 70s 'throw-back' beers. File with Watney's Red Barrel and Double Diamond

What was the pint that thought it was a Quart?

David L

Quote from: dom on April 25, 2022, 05:21:08 PM
Quote from: David L on April 25, 2022, 01:43:19 PMNever even seen Newcastle's 'Amber' ale. I used to drink Newcky Brown when I attended training courses at BT's college at Yarnfield, near Stone, Staffs. No idea why, never drank it anywhere else  ???

Whitbread 'Trophy' bitter. One of the most memorable beer adverts on TV, (along with Davenports)

Matt2112

I find a continental lager is a very good accompaniment to my "Friday Night Movie Club"; they're usually on offer at the local shop (steps away) and San Miguel is the first preference, followed by Moretti. Sometimes I'll have a bottle of red instead though.

Nickslikk2112

Quote from: David L on April 25, 2022, 05:28:55 PM
Quote from: dom on April 25, 2022, 05:21:08 PM

Whitbread 'Trophy' bitter. One of the most memorable beer adverts on TV, (along with Davenports)

Crap beer though.

Thank God for CAMRA, and Belgium (are you sure about that? - ed)

Not that I drink beer these days. I do enjoy Adnam's Broadside though whenever I get a chance, or as it's known after six pints in Southold Roadside.

Fishy

Just had two pints of The Mishnish...
From The Land of Honest Men