Better Call Saul / Breaking Bad (*SPOILERS FROM POST #18 ONWARD*)

Started by Matt2112, April 21, 2022, 06:53:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Matt2112

With new episodes dropping of the final season (Season 6) of Better Call Saul, I'm working through season 5 again since it's been so long since I watched it - a 15 minute re-cap video on YouTube just seemed wholly inadequate.

And once season 6 is done of this absolutely outstanding show I'm going to re-watch Breaking Bad, if only to see if I can decide which one is better.

pxr5

I'm going to watch the last season when all the episodes are out (only 2 so far). I can't be doing with waiting a week between episodes.  ::) I agree, it has been outstanding and I can't wait to see how it starts to link in with BB.
"Oh, for the wings of any bird other than a Battery hen."

Slim

I loved the Saul character in Breaking Bad but never got into Better Call Saul. I think I watched the first two then gave up.

Can't remember what happens to him at the end of Breaking Bad, but that was brilliant telly.
H5N1 kIlled a wild swan

Jonners

I genuinely think Better Call Saul is better than BB. Even though he is a rogue, you want Saul to succeed, unlike Heisenberg

I have started series 6, but I may have to revisit 5, as I havent got a clue what is going on (or vague recollections at best)

Matt2112

Quote from: Jonners on April 26, 2022, 09:57:00 AMI genuinely think Better Call Saul is better than BB. Even though he is a rogue, you want Saul to succeed, unlike Heisenberg

I have started series 6, but I may have to revisit 5, as I havent got a clue what is going on (or vague recollections at best)

I watched the re-caps up to Season 5 and currently re-watching that from start to finish; it's worth it - just sublime stuff.

dom

Quote from: Slim on April 22, 2022, 09:54:35 AMI loved the Saul character in Breaking Bad but never got into Better Call Saul. I think I watched the first two then gave up.

Can't remember what happens to him at the end of Breaking Bad, but that was brilliant telly.

I really think you should give BCS another shot.  It is outstanding and I agree with Jonners overall probably better than BB

Matt2112

The more the BB elements of the story manifest themselves, the better it gets. 

How that interweaves with the other narratives is so well done though - just completely compelling viewing, even while serving as a prequel.

Nick

Tempted to watch this, started the first series after watching BB but never followed on.

Matt2112

Fully caught up now (Season 6, Ep. 4)

The top-notch quality of this show hasn't diminished; Ep. 3 in particular is a corker and I note Rhea Seehorn directed Ep. 4 - and very well indeed, too.

It's all simmering very nicely again.

Matt2112

S6 Ep 6

Directed by Giancarlo Esposito, who of course plays Gus Fring in the series.

I didn't realise when this season started to air that there will be 13 episodes (S 1-5 each had 10) and Ep 7 will be a "mid-season finale".

Certainly Ep 6 ended in a fashion to whet the appetite - and I suspect Ep 7 will end on a real zinger of a cliffhanger, as is often the way with these things.  But the showrunners of this (and BB) have form in delivering exceptional drama and suspense, so very much looking forward to seeing how it all pans out.

Matt2112

S6 Ep 7

Mid-season finale.

When the series is done, how about we lift the embargo on spoilers?

So much to discuss with this episode!  But all I will say is this: it delivered.

Jonners

Apparently the other solicitor Jimmy is at war with is a big Rush Fan

Matt2112

It's back!

Five episodes left - starting tonight with Ep 9.

Here goes...hot take to follow. :)

Hot take: big episode!  Edging ever closer to the confluence with BB - or Walter White's story line at least.

Matt2112

S6 Ep 10

Different, but no less intriguing...three to go.

Matt2112

S6 Ep 11

Titled: 'Breaking Bad'.

But still not quite what I expected. And that's what this show does so brilliantly: subverts your expectations, while still making absolute narrative sense.

Only two to go...