Midnight Movie Club: The Grand Budapest Hotel

Started by Matt2112, April 16, 2022, 07:22:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Matt2112

Okay, maybe this doesn't strictly fall under the classic definition of "Midnight Movie", but I plead some license given Wes Anderson is generally regarded as a cult film director and a quick internet search demonstrates this film does have "midnight" screenings. :)

I was aware this is very much a fan favourite and has earned pretty much universal critical praise,  but otherwise approached this with a fairly clean slate.

And what a blast of fun it is! I loved the quirky humour that infused pretty much every single scene of this hugely entertaining yarn and Ralph Fiennes is superb in the principal role.

Yet another film I've seen recently which made me wonder why I left it so long.

Rating: ****

pdw1

Quote from: Matt2112 on April 16, 2022, 07:22:42 PMOkay, maybe this doesn't strictly fall under the classic definition of "Midnight Movie", but I plead some license given Wes Anderson is generally regarded as a cult film director and a quick internet search demonstrates this film does have "midnight" screenings. :)

I was aware this is very much a fan favourite and has earned pretty much universal critical praise,  but otherwise approached this with a fairly clean slate.

And what a blast of fun it is! I loved the quirky humour that infused pretty much every single scene of this hugely entertaining yarn and Ralph Fiennes is superb in the principal role.

Yet another film I've seen recently which made me wonder why I left it so long.

Rating: ****

Brilliant, brilliant brilliant film. Ralph Fiennes just dominates every moment he is on screen with a fantastic performance.