Main Menu

Moving pictures 40th

Started by Nick, April 15, 2022, 07:56:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nick

Would like to just buy the atmos blu ray but that doesn't look possible and I doubt you can get it on the streamers as a full album, I see Apple has TS available.

Slim

ATWAS was recorded with a mobile studio, the "Fedco Mobile Unit". ESL sounds so much worse. Why? Recording technology was making leaps and bounds at that time and they must have had more money to spend on it.
H5N1 kIlled a wild swan

R6GYY

I haven't purchased any of the actual physical items, but the "Super Deluxe" version is available to stream through my Amazon music subscription, so I had a first listen yesterday.

I'm not going to comment on the remastered album itself. but the live show is a gem. I've only listened to it once, but I was filled with Rush love and awe again. A feeling I haven't had in quite a while really.

Cracking cheese Grommet, and a great 'historical document'.

Basspedalman

Quote from: Slim on April 29, 2022, 06:52:31 PMATWAS was recorded with a mobile studio, the "Fedco Mobile Unit". ESL sounds so much worse. Why? Recording technology was making leaps and bounds at that time and they must have had more money to spend on it.

ESL is like the gig was recorded from the bar outside, save for side 2, the UK 1980 recordings. It suffered that 'enormo dome' thing the same as 'Live Evil' by Sabbath. This 1981 Toronto recording, warts and all, is a far better record of what they sounded like. Tempo blips, bum notes etc..... I like it all the more because of it....

Matt2112

Right...right...forgive me as for various reasons (none too bad) I have fallen out of the loop about Rush releases.

Hence my question is: what's the cheapest option for buying a physical copy of this fabled what-should-have-been-ESL release?  Because it sounds extraordinary. 🙂

pdw1

Quote from: Matt2112 on May 01, 2022, 01:47:52 AMRight...right...forgive me as for various reasons (none too bad) I have fallen out of the loop about Rush releases.

Hence my question is: what's the cheapest option for buying a physical copy of this fabled what-should-have-been-ESL release?  Because it sounds extraordinary. 🙂
It is a bit hard to get hold of at the moment It has been sold out at Amazon & Burning Shed for the last week. I think they under estimated demand (not realising how popular a decent live recording would be). I picked up a CD copy in Fopp yesterday for £17

Rufus_the_dawg

ESL. Are you all saying this is a rush release that we should buy?

Link to cd pls.

Slim

Quote from: Rufus_the_dawg on May 01, 2022, 09:03:25 AMESL. Are you all saying this is a rush release that we should buy?

Link to cd pls.

No - ESL is one which, in my personal opinion, you should not bother with. The one that's causing the excitement is the live CD that's been bundled with the 40th Anniversary release of Moving Pictures.

Amazon have it here:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Moving-Pictures-Rush/dp/B09SGYNMTL/

Other outlets may have it a bit cheaper (but not much I suspect).
H5N1 kIlled a wild swan

pdw1

Quote from: Slim on May 01, 2022, 10:22:35 AM
Quote from: Rufus_the_dawg on May 01, 2022, 09:03:25 AMESL. Are you all saying this is a rush release that we should buy?

Link to cd pls.

No - ESL is one which, in my personal opinion, you should not bother with. The one that's causing the excitement is the live CD that's been bundled with the 40th Anniversary release of Moving Pictures.

Amazon have it here:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Moving-Pictures-Rush/dp/B09SGYNMTL/

Other outlets may have it a bit cheaper (but not much I suspect).

Box set is a bit of an exaggeration

pxr5

"Oh, for the wings of any bird other than a Battery hen."

Jonners

That will be the Zoony affect, as he still believes ESL is the best album ever, and is buying up all the new releases to stop anyone listening to them, and contradicting him....

Nick

Someone contact him and say ESL is in need of a defender.

Jonners

Only thing that needs defending/bragging about is the Artwork which I love

Slim

I'm bridling a bit at the prospect of paying £20+ for an old live recording, I must say. Will wait until I can get it cheaper somehow.

These unending rereleases and special editions feel a bit unedifying.
H5N1 kIlled a wild swan

Jonners

i am slumming it for now on Spotify, as most of my music listening is done while cycling/cycle training with ear buds/pods, so I can live with any slight loss of audio quality for now

but even so, its just ace