Main Menu

Moving pictures 40th

Started by Nick, April 15, 2022, 07:56:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jonners

Mediteranean theme: Italian Car, then Spanish Guitar I assume

dom

David L

Quote from: Jonners on April 21, 2022, 09:43:33 AMMediteranean theme: Italian Car, then Spanish Guitar I assume
That's a brilliant version of CTTH, in my opinion. Far better played 'straight' without the addition of that awful reggae ending. However, I do think the reggae intro to Working Man works really well. The 'crunch' as they segue into the regular version is awesome - great stuff!

dom

Fishy

Quote from: David L on April 20, 2022, 11:16:13 PM
Quote from: Fishy on April 20, 2022, 10:26:17 PM
Quote from: Ali on April 20, 2022, 09:35:39 PM
Quote from: Fishy on April 20, 2022, 08:11:48 PMWas subdivisions played as part of this tour,,,?  I know they played it live before Signals was released...

I think they played it on the ESL Tour, there was such a thing being the road warriors that they were back then 😀

It was the second time I caught them live, at Bingley Hall once again, in October '81...the first live performance of said classic 😎

I remember being at Ingliston cow shed in Nov 81 for the tour.. can't remember Subdivisions at all...
Definitely played. It was as shocking as the boiler suit when first witnessed. Clearly written on a keyboard. What were they playing at?  ;D

an indication of good things to come  ;D
Definitely played. It was as shocking as the boiler suit when first witnessed. Clearly written on a keyboard. What were they playing at?  ;D
[/quote]

an indication of good things to come   :D
From The Land of Honest Men

Slim

On the live material:

"Would you say that this automatically becomes possibly the greatest Rush live album ever released?"

"I don't think there's any question"
H5N1 kIlled a wild swan

David L

Good little video but my God, is there  waaaaaaaaaay too much unnecessary crap in that vinyl box set?!

Slim

H5N1 kIlled a wild swan

pdw1

Quote from: David L on April 27, 2022, 10:46:18 PMGood little video but my God, is there  waaaaaaaaaay too much unnecessary crap in that vinyl box set?!

But people like unnecessary crap

David L

Quote from: pdw1 on April 27, 2022, 11:12:35 PM
Quote from: David L on April 27, 2022, 10:46:18 PMGood little video but my God, is there  waaaaaaaaaay too much unnecessary crap in that vinyl box set?!

But people like unnecessary crap
Yes. I believe people exist that need it

Rufus_the_dawg

Pete Pardo not sure about his opinions. and the box set is overkill.

I have the original CD and that is all I need. Sounds brilliant through my Naim.

David L

Quote from: Rufus_the_dawg on April 29, 2022, 12:22:15 AMPete Pardo not sure about his opinions. and the box set is overkill.

I have the original CD and that is all I need. Sounds brilliant through my Naim.
I suggest you give the live material a try, it's brilliant

Thenop

Bought the vinyl set, not the ultra-over-the-top one, but the 'regular' 5LP set. I was on the fence but after hearing some pf the show included I decided to go for it. I cannot imagine they will do an beter Exit Stage Left than this one...it sounds fantastic. Somewhat of a definitive version.

David L

Quote from: Thenop on April 29, 2022, 12:53:33 PMBought the vinyl set, not the ultra-over-the-top one, but the 'regular' 5LP set. I was on the fence but after hearing some pf the show included I decided to go for it. I cannot imagine they will do an beter Exit Stage Left than this one...it sounds fantastic. Somewhat of a definitive version.
No, ESL is best left alone after this. If this show had been used the question would be what would get culled for a double LP? Perhaps the bigger question though would be, why weren't these recordings used? I wonder if the stellar audio quality is purely down to modern technology when it came to mixing/production  :-\

Thenop

Quote from: David L on April 29, 2022, 01:52:53 PMNo, ESL is best left alone after this. If this show had been used the question would be what would get culled for a double LP? Perhaps the bigger question though would be, why weren't these recordings used? I wonder if the stellar audio quality is purely down to modern technology when it came to mixing/production  :-\

May very well be that they did not consider these recodings to be good enough at the time. Remember this is all considered 'bonus' now, but at the time the record company had a big say in all of this, what to use and what not. But I agree this sounds stellar to these ears. I have many live LPs sounding a lot worse than these recs. I wonder whether these come from 24 track tapes? The ESL shows were taped purposely with a mobile studio of course.