Main Menu

Moving pictures 40th

Started by Nick, April 15, 2022, 07:56:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nick

Really enjoying the YYZ bonus concert, mixed by Terry Brown as well. All one night rather than selected edits.

Fishy

From The Land of Honest Men

Jonners

Its really good! I wont be listening to EsL ever again now I have this

Slim

I think I came to that position myself at least twenty years ago.
H5N1 kIlled a wild swan

David L

Quote from: Jonners on April 20, 2022, 09:42:02 AMIts really good! I wont be listening to EsL ever again now I have this
Yes, it contains the album ESL should've been.

dom

What was Geddy referring to when he said something like "keeping the Mediterranean theme" when moving from Red Barchetta to Closer to the Heart. Red Barchetta is Italian but what has Closer got to do with that part of the World?

Fishy

Was subdivisions played as part of this tour,,,?  I know they played it live before Signals was released...

David L

Quote from: Fishy on April 20, 2022, 08:11:48 PMWas subdivisions played as part of this tour,,,?  I know they played it live before Signals was released...
No, it was added in for ESL tour. It followed Beneath, Between, Behind. Apart from that one change, the set list was the same so that would've been the one us UK fans experienced (source: Rush Tribute - Merely Players by Robert Telleria)
I have to say, I cannot remember the drum solo being so early in the set

Ali

Quote from: Fishy on April 20, 2022, 08:11:48 PMWas subdivisions played as part of this tour,,,?  I know they played it live before Signals was released...

I think they played it on the ESL Tour, there was such a thing being the road warriors that they were back then 😀

It was the second time I caught them live, at Bingley Hall once again, in October '81...the first live performance of said classic 😎

David L

Quote from: Ali on April 20, 2022, 09:35:39 PM

I think they played it on the ESL Tour, there was such a thing being the road warriors that they were back then 😀

It was the second time I caught them live, at Bingley Hall once again, in October '81...the first live performance of said classic 😎
I think I was there......full of flu! Geddy had the boiler suit on  :o  Quite shocking

David L

Quote from: David L on April 20, 2022, 09:46:21 PMI think I was there......full of flu! Geddy had the boiler suit on  :o  Quite shocking
Second thoughts, I think I may have been there for the third Bingley Hall date on November 9th (it was definitely the boiler suit night)

David L

Looking at the timeline around these tours, I'm wondering whether ESL's audio issues were a result of it being, ahem, rush-released. Recorded in March, released in October. The band were touring until early July. I'm sure they took a well-deserved break before diving into the tapes and fixing things up. Those European dates were probably fixed well in advance of ESL's release, conception even. I'm sure Mr Daniels would not have missed the chance to have another LP in the stores for the next leg of the tour. They were burning as hot as they ever would at that point. The live version of Tom Sawyer made TOTPs........without Pan's People this time!
Having said that, the theory contradicts the band's view of the record. They said that after the 'raw' sound of ATWAS, they wanted something a little more polished but admit they went too far with ESL. What I like about the Live YYZ recording is the perfect blend of advancing sophistication (and the added electronic instrumentation) and the retained essence of hard rock. Something that was lost in the mix on ESL IMHO

Fishy

I remember being at Ingliston cow shed in Nov 81 for the tour.. can't remember Subdivisions at all...

Slim

I saw that tour in October at Deesside. They definitely played Subdivisions that night.
H5N1 kIlled a wild swan

David L

Quote from: Fishy on April 20, 2022, 10:26:17 PM

I remember being at Ingliston cow shed in Nov 81 for the tour.. can't remember Subdivisions at all...
Definitely played. It was as shocking as the boiler suit when first witnessed. Clearly written on a keyboard. What were they playing at?  ;D