Cocktails

Started by Slim, April 11, 2022, 11:16:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nick

Very clever, the spirit being the ghost ship!

Nick

Wow..just got back from my local Tesco, they have a clearance section for sell offs at a discounted price. They were selling premium Grey Goose Vodka (French before you point any Russian support at me) for £9/bottle. Normal retail is £39/bottle. Now have enough vodka for the rest of the year!.

Jonners

Big rum fan at the moment, and have tried a lot, but I keep going back to the Aldi spiced rum at £17 a bottle. Its absolutely lovely neat, and with a mixer

Really recommend it

David L

Quote from: Jonners on April 26, 2022, 12:35:39 PMBig rum fan at the moment, and have tried a lot, but I keep going back to the Aldi spiced rum at £17 a bottle. Its absolutely lovely neat, and with a mixer

Really recommend it
When I've done the dregs of the Havana Club and Woods I have left, I fancy some Mount Gay

Fishy

Gin n tonic for me at the mo...
From The Land of Honest Men

Nick

Quote from: Jonners on April 26, 2022, 12:35:39 PMBig rum fan at the moment, and have tried a lot, but I keep going back to the Aldi spiced rum at £17 a bottle. Its absolutely lovely neat, and with a mixer

Really recommend it

Really dislike spiced/dark rum but enjoy white rum in a cocktail.

Slim

Just made myself a vodka martini for the first time in a while. Was in Tesco earlier and I saw Tesco own brand vodka at £6 a half bottle. It's not great but it's not bad either. it's a bit like Russian Standard, with a bit of a bite.

I used a lime twist.

My favourite brand of vodka is Smirnoff Black Label which has a very distinctive taste, but I haven't seen it for ages now.

My martini method is documented here : http://www.jamesgibbon.com/martini/
H5N1 kIlled a wild swan

David L

Negroni de Sevilla at The Bank Housr, Hathersage. First time - enjoying it. Probably the Campari that reminds me of Cinzano. Very '70s!

Matt2112

Quote from: Matt2112 on April 12, 2022, 10:29:30 PMQuite seldom I'll have a cocktail, but when I indulge I'll have a Tequila Sunrise or Margarita.

Mainly because I had a sort of tequila epiphany some 25 years ago while sitting on a friend's porch in Lancaster, California. Marvellous. :)

For the first time in absolutely ages, and due undoubtedly to the fact that coastal Greek towns have really good cocktail bars (with a kids' play area to boot), I had a Tequila Sunrise this evening, which frankly, after all this time, was almost like taking methamphetamine with an orange juice chaser; I couldn't stop talking.

That wasn't even the highlight: the little Miss's mum had a 'Pink Elephant', which I sampled and was so extraordinary I took a pic of its ingredients so I could faithfully report them here:

"White Rum, Banana Liquer, Coconut Liquer, Pineapple Juice, Grenadine".

A few of those and you realise where the 'Pink Elephant' comes from... ;D

David L

Sipping a Negroni in The Pearson Arms, Whitstable  :)

The Picnic Wasp

Quote from: David L on October 15, 2022, 05:21:58 PMSipping a Negroni in The Pearson Arms, Whitstable  :)

I'm jealous of this. I recently enjoyed my first Negroni and I think it would have become a regular tipple until I discovered that Campari and vermouth have traces of herbs which I'm best to avoid from a heart rhythm perspective. The gin's probably not a great idea either, but one has to draw a line somewhere.😁

Slim

It's the crushed beetles in the Campari that out me off a bit.

Oh apparently they stopped doing that in 2005.

https://vinepair.com/articles/now-you-can-put-bugs-in-your-negroni-just-like-the-old-days/
H5N1 kIlled a wild swan

The Picnic Wasp

Currently enjoying a snowball of all things. I just took a notion for one after lunch. Proper Warninks Advocaat, Schweppes lemonade, a squeeze of lime juice and a cocktail cherry. Very nice I have to say.

Slim

Back at San Giovanni for lunch on Sunday and I'm pleased to say that they've added the "British Martini" to their cocktail list. Actually just a regular gin or martini, neither of which is of British origin but hey.

I had two, asked for them very dry. They came with a rectangle of lemon peel. Had to twist it myself.

Very smooth, very cold, unusually strong. Only downside was that the glasses weren't chilled.
H5N1 kIlled a wild swan

Slim

Tried a tinned margarita from Tesco, yesterday. Actually not that bad, though at about half the price of the same cocktail from a proper bar that's the least you can expect.

Not quite as effervescent as a recently shaken margarita, though I suppose if you chilled it so that ice crystams start to form then gave it a good shake that would help.

Chilled glass, lime juice and salt round the rim and a lime wedge all add to the experience. Don't know what sort of salt they use in a proper bar. I just used bog standard table salt. Can't remember why we even bought it, it never gets used.

H5N1 kIlled a wild swan