Cocktails

Started by Slim, April 11, 2022, 11:16:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Slim

I've been a Vodka Martini man for many years, but at the moment if I go to a cocktail place I'll usually have a Margarita or an Old Fashioned.

At San Giovanni, which is conveniently on one of my cycling routes, they somehow brand the name of the establishment into the orange peel. It was just about warm enough to drink outside yesterday so I took a pic.

H5N1 kIlled a wild swan

pxr5

Brandy Sour is often my tipple.
"Oh, for the wings of any bird other than a Battery hen."

Nick

My most memorable cocktail (no need for a new thread) was a Hemingway daiquiri served by a very attractive waitress in an outdoor cocktail bar in Vegas. The cocktail was so refreshing in the stifling heat.

Matt2112

Quite seldom I'll have a cocktail, but when I indulge I'll have a Tequila Sunrise or Margarita.

Mainly because I had a sort of tequila epiphany some 25 years ago while sitting on a friend's porch in Lancaster, California. Marvellous. :)

Slim

A Tequila Epiphany, I must try one of those.
H5N1 kIlled a wild swan

Rufus_the_dawg

is Shandy a cocktail?

Slim

Quote from: Rufus_the_dawg on April 19, 2022, 03:49:07 PMis Shandy a cocktail?

:) No. I think a cocktail needs to contain spirits.
H5N1 kIlled a wild swan

Rufus_the_dawg

non alcoholic cocktails? I'm being annoying I know. I used to drink a Brandy Shandy- Shandy with a brandy in.

Any way found this on the web -Shandy cocktail.

bottles pilsner beer
lemons
teaspoon grated ginger
handful mint leaves
1/4
cup agave nectar
oz vodka

And 2 Paracetamol and 2 Ibuprofen.

Nick

Managed to get a free sample Daiquiri through the post from Nio cocktails. Perfectly nice but I'm sure would end up far too expensive in the long run, plus not very enviro friendly.

https://niococktails.co.uk/

David L

Talk Radio's Mike Graham has a weekly spot on his show featuring booze/wine tasting. An 'expert' brings stuff into the studio for him to sample.
Yesterday, the featured drink was rum. I've always liked rum. It started with rum and raisin ice cream and Old Jamaica chocolate bars. I had a brief Bacardi and Coke phase in my late teens but progressed to dark rum with coke. So, one of the first drinks Mike tried was an 'Old Fashioned' but with rum, of course. Slim's penchant for the more usual version and the revelation that rum could be used (bourbon also) piqued my interest. Had a visit to Sainsbury's and I've now got everything I need to go with the years-old, opened bottles of whiskey and rum in the drinks cabinet. They need drinking and if I can find a cocktail or two that I enjoy it will be a good way to finish it off. I'm keen to try a rum punch too.
I wonder if it is sacrilege to use my single malt whiskey but it's not going to get drunk any other way. To cut a long story short, my taste for single malts took a turn for the worse one xmas and I struggle to go near it nowadays!

Slim

The Scotch whisky version of the Old Fashioned is also very nice, only tried it once but that was a DIY one with a single malt. Also tried the brandy version, but never rum. I must do that.

Don't use too much bitters, that's the rookie mistake - the hole in the nozzle is tiny for a reason.

I envy you for being able to leave spirits unmolested in the house.
H5N1 kIlled a wild swan

R6GYY

I do remember a cocktail we used to have on a winter's night in the Hotel Prima in Wroclaw, Poland when I used to work out there in the early 00's.

It was called a "Mad Dog" and was great for warming you up ready for a walk into the market square (the Rynek) on a cold night.

It consisted of vodka (from the freezer), raspberry syrup, and Tabasco sauce.

Here is an annoying video I found which shows the idea . . .

David L

Mmmm, that was nice! Tried a rum Old Fashioned first. I think the only error was using two tsps of sugar syrup. Rum is sweet and doesn't need two, one will suffice (according to the recipe on the BBC Good Food site, which I found too late!)
Gave me a nice little buzz too!

Rufus_the_dawg

Rufus_the_dawg