Midnight Movie Club: Near Dark

Started by Matt2112, April 10, 2022, 12:24:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Matt2112

Had an overdue undisturbed evening of watching a film from my Cinema Paradiso subscription; the next on my list was a film from the horror/cult genre - which includes films often regarded as "Midnight Movies": Kathryn Bigelow's 1987 vampire flick Near Dark, seen for the first time.

For the first half of its 95 minutes, I found it difficult to become engaged in the story of a small-town farmer's son who reluctantly falls in with a bunch of vampires, dividing his loyalty to his family.

But then comes...the bar scene, which elevates things spectacularly.  This sequence struck me as brilliantly Tarantino-esque, although it comes some half a decade before anyone would know of his name.

Although generally Near Dark is not without its flaws, there are some very intriguing themes at work which elevates this from the norm, as it were.  Well worth a look.

Rating: ***

R6GYY

I saw that when it was released on VHS back in the day.

I cannot remember it much, apart from of course, it has Bill Paxton and Lance Henriksen in it. Both major players in Aliens, and that was probably the initial attraction for me.

pxr5

I remember it well and have seen it a couple of times. I really liked it, but as you say Matt, some flaws.
"Oh, for the wings of any bird other than a Battery hen."

R6GYY

I seem to (vaguely) remember some resonances with a favourite book of mine, Fevre Dream by George R.R. Martin. Yes, he of Game of Thrones fame, but don't hold that against him.

Here is the synopsis of said Fevre Dream, which I see is now over 50 years old!

Quote:

Abner Marsh has had his dearest wish come true - he has built the Fevre Dream, the finest steamship ever to sail the Mississippi. Abner hopes to race the boat some day, but his partner is making it hard for him to realise his ambition.

Joshua York put up the money for the Fevre Dream, but now rumours have started about the company he keeps, his odd eating habits and strange hours. As the Dream sails the great river, it leaves in its wake one too many dark tales, until Abner is forced to face down the man who helped to make his dreams become reality.

Off topic perhaps - but G.R.R.M. also wrote some sublime science fiction short stories, notably Sandkings.

Ok, move along now, nothing more to see here. . .  . .