Politics Section

Started by Slim, April 07, 2022, 10:52:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Should there be a separate Politics Section?

Yes
4 (50%)
No
4 (50%)

Total Members Voted: 6

Voting closed: April 14, 2022, 10:52:43 AM

Slim

Perhaps I'm being over-cautious but I have the impression that some people are put off by vigorous political discussion. To this end, I wonder if a separate politics section might be a good idea? Then people can simply avoid it. We could even make it an isolated, opt-in section so that members wouldn't see it unless added to the appropriate group. I'm frankly tempted to avoid it myself, and would leave moderation there to someone else probably.

Then (for example) we could have a COVID-19 chat in the usual discussion section for people wishing to discuss the pandemic from a non-political perspective, and a separate one in the politics section where political aspects / considerations can be discussed, if people wish.

Opinions very welcome.

H5N1 kIlled a wild swan

dom

Personally, I'd rather keep politics in General Chat, but if other contributors feel strongly that it should be hidden, I can understand that

David L

I'm with dom. I can't see how you could discuss something like Covid without a political angle

Slim

Well it's a disease, not a political philosophy and a large proportion of the posts in there aren't political so I wouldn't agree there.
H5N1 kIlled a wild swan

David L

Quote from: Slim on April 07, 2022, 12:31:34 PMWell it's a disease, not a political philosophy and a large proportion of the posts in there aren't political so I wouldn't agree there.
What I'm saying is that you can't avoid political discussion when it comes to Covid given the huge intervention by the state during the pandemic

Slim

Quote from: David L on April 07, 2022, 12:39:06 PM
Quote from: Slim on April 07, 2022, 12:31:34 PMWell it's a disease, not a political philosophy and a large proportion of the posts in there aren't political so I wouldn't agree there.
What I'm saying is that you can't avoid political discussion when it comes to Covid given the huge intervention by the state during the pandemic

Yes, I understood that.
H5N1 kIlled a wild swan

Matt2112

Rufus_the_dawg

umm crikey, I don't think it should be hidden if we have one. If its open it might keep it more in check. There is a BJ section and Slim and I have put different views forward and we have kept it to a mutual understanding. That is how it should be.

We can have a political section for day to day discussion but this is happening in the Grumpy/happy sections. I am sure there will be a Labour leadership section at some point.

I think if there is a political section it needs to have a warning alert at the top. No swearing and keep it respectful etc etc. Its all down to people not being nasty to each other. I do think if we do have a politics section that we really do try and keep it more respectful I think we will have more contributions from other people like Hugh above.

I am easy either way, Im still trying to work out the cryptic cross word clues that were put up in the Duff Rush songs section.....H-CX1-B2 duff.

pxr5

A politics section, we need a wordle section ;)
"Oh, for the wings of any bird other than a Battery hen."

Nick

I say yes, I was also going to suggest a Brexit benefits watch thread then realised that it wouldn't run long enough.

David L

Quote from: Nick on April 07, 2022, 05:10:43 PMI say yes, I was also going to suggest a Brexit benefits watch thread then realised that it wouldn't run long enough.
Unlike the Murphy's  ;)

Rufus_the_dawg

Quote from: Nick on April 07, 2022, 05:10:43 PMI say yes, I was also going to suggest a Brexit benefits watch thread then realised that it wouldn't run long enough.

It is not what benefits Brexit there are for the UK but what Brexit benefits there are for Putin the Brexit enabler!

Nickslikk2112

Quote from: Rufus_the_dawg on April 09, 2022, 09:22:16 AM

It is not what benefits Brexit there are for the UK but what Brexit benefits there are for Putin the Brexit enabler!
Well, being as we've accepted all his money and then sequestered it all that'll be a big fat ZERO, LOL!!!!

Slim

Quote from: Rufus_the_dawg on April 09, 2022, 09:22:16 AMIt is not what benefits Brexit there are for the UK but what Brexit benefits there are for Putin the Brexit enabler!

So in this very thread, we've seen how an innocuous conversation about forum layout can attract the sort of contentious political polemic that could potentially provoke a bunfight. Therefore I'll go ahead and start a Politics section this afternoon; members are welcome to attack or defend the UK government, Trump, the European Union etc etc as vigorously as you may wish but please keep it in there. It's not a free-for-all though so be nice to each other.

Many thanks to all for your participation and feedback.
H5N1 kIlled a wild swan

Rufus_the_dawg

Can we call it?

This is politics be nice to each other
This is politics do not panic
This is politics do panic.
Politics thread everyone is wrong.
Politics- no fighting.
Politics if you have a fight -F off
Politics Warning disagreements in process
Politics Certificate 18
Politics you must agree with me.
Politics thread I love you all. But keep all politics in this thread.