Cold War Movies

Started by Slim, April 05, 2022, 10:32:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Slim

Another of my favourite film genres. Probably my all-time favourite is Ice Station Zebra. I return to it every few years, and read the book twice.

A disaster occurs at a British meteorological station near the North Pole. An American nuclear submarine is ordered to take an enigmatic Englishman named Jones to the scene. To the disquiet of the sub's captain, Jones is carrying orders from the head of the US Navy, effectively placing him in charge.

H5N1 kIlled a wild swan

Fishy

Always liked Ice Station Zebra ..  I distinctly remember it was on one Christmas Eve on beeb 1 when I was a kid and I was allowed to stay up and watch it.. good times
From The Land of Honest Men

Fishy

Dr Strangelove as well..fantastic film.. Sellers at his best...

Slim

Quote from: Fishy on April 05, 2022, 10:36:59 PMAlways liked Ice Station Zebra ..  I distinctly remember it was on one Christmas Eve on beeb 1 when I was a kid and I was allowed to stay up and watch it.. good times

Yep I remember that, I think it was the first time I saw it (actually I think it was one Christmas Day, in the evening - about 1979?). I remember being entranced by the opening title sequence.

H5N1 kIlled a wild swan

Rufus_the_dawg

From Russia with love. one of the best James Bond films.

I know i'm banging on but Torn Curtain is a brilliant Hitchcock cold war film. One of the great scenes from it is how hard it is to kill someone. Hitchcock thought Hollywood made killing someone easy so he went about to show how hard it is. Then there is very slow but tense bus journey. Yes tension in a bus trip.

Slim

If you ever took a bus from Middlesbrough to Hartlepool in a late evening in the '70s, you know all about tension on a bus trip.
H5N1 kIlled a wild swan

Fishy

The Manchurian Candidate..love that film...

pxr5

The Hunt for Red October - I really like that one
"Oh, for the wings of any bird other than a Battery hen."

Slim

Quote from: pxr5 on April 07, 2022, 01:29:22 PMThe Hunt for Red October - I really like that one

I read the book a couple of years before they made the film. It's a great story to nerd out over, with all the details and maps.
H5N1 kIlled a wild swan

Rufus_the_dawg

Yes great movie...I never knew Soviets had Scottish accents