Classic War Films discussion

Started by Rufus_the_dawg, April 05, 2022, 10:03:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

David L

Anyone mentioned The Wooden Horse yet?

Slim

I'd forgotten that one, had to look it up. Not seen it for many years. Made me think of a film set in a POW camp with James Robertson Justice, but that one's called Very Important Person.

H5N1 kIlled a wild swan

Fishy

From The Land of Honest Men

pxr5

^ The Hill is a brilliant film - well the first half is. So too is Ice Cold in Alex - I've always loved this snap:

"Oh, for the wings of any bird other than a Battery hen."

David L

I guess not strictly a war film as such but based on a real-life event in WWII, one of my favourite 'old' movies is The Flight Of The Phoenix.
A stellar cast including Jimmy Stewart, Ernest Borgnine, George Kennedy, Ronald Fraser and Dickie Attenborough. I thought it was just brilliant when I first saw it as a kid. Who can forget the moment when aeronautical engineer, Dorfmann admits he's only ever worked on model aircraft!
I've never got around to watching the 2004 remake. I'm sure I'd be disappointed!

Slim

I haven't seen the remake either even though Hugh Laurie's in it. Hardy Kruger is brilliant in that.

Speaking of which, a few years ago I watched an old war film called The One That Got Away when it came up on one of the TV channels. Not a classic by any means but quite refreshing in that the main protagonist is a resourceful German (played by Hardy Kruger) attempting to escape from the Allies, and a true story apparently. And there's a scene set in Derby railway station!

H5N1 kIlled a wild swan

Rufus_the_dawg

anyone remember "The Keep"?

Fishy

Stalag 17 Another classic
Bridge on the River Kwai
From The Land of Honest Men

Nick

Rufus_the_dawg

Quote from: Nick on April 07, 2022, 05:08:30 PM
Quote from: Rufus_the_dawg on April 06, 2022, 10:24:46 PManyone remember "The Keep"?

The vampire one?

yeah I think so with Jürgen Prochnow from Das Boat and Dune, really weird, do you remember much about it?

Nick

I remember the book, really enjoyed it, can't remember anything about the film but I did see it.

Rufus_the_dawg

Quote from: Nick on April 07, 2022, 06:01:55 PMI remember the book, really enjoyed it, can't remember anything about the film but I did see it.

So the book is worth a read? Nazis and vampires, can you remember much about it?

Nick

Red Lenses

Nobody got any love for Tobruk ?
Got to be my favourite WWII film......Rock Hudson, George Peppard and a brilliant performance from Nigel Green !!!

All my other favourites already mentioned... Where Eagles Dare, Kelly's Heroes, Ice Cold In Alex, Guns of Navarone.

Some of the modern films have been good....Defiance and Letters from Iwo Jima are two i've watched more than once.