Rotating Black Holes - Portals for Hyperspace Travel

Started by Slim, July 06, 2023, 10:35:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Slim

This piece in Business Insider from 2019 reports that physicists have discovered that black holes might be used as portals for hyperspace travel.

https://www.businessinsider.com/black-hole-travel-space-galaxy-2019-3?r=US&IR=T

But what really amuses me about this is that, in his over-generous review of A Farewell To Kings, Sounds journo Geoff Barton quoted from a piece which made the same claim, forty-six years ago.

http://www.2112.net/powerwindows/transcripts/19770900sounds.htm

"IT HAS ALSO BEEN THEORISED THAT BLACK HOLES - SPECIFICALLY, ROTATING BLACK HOLES - MAY BE TRAP DOORS THROUGH TIME AND/OR SPACE. THAT IS TO SAY, IF SOMETHING FOR SOME REASON PLUNGES INTO A BLACK HOLE, IT COULD WELL EMERGE FROM THE OTHER SIDE IN A DIFFERENT DIMENSION, CENTURIES INTO THE FUTURE OR MILLENIA BACK INTO THE PAST. SOME SCIENTISTS BELIEVE THAT WE COULD UTILISE BLACK HOLES IN THE FUTURE TO MOVE OBJECTS/PEOPLE ACROSS GALAXIES WITH A MINIMUM OF TIME AND EFFORT, PROVIDING THE PROPERTIES OF THE 'HOLES COULD BE HARNESSED OR UNDERSTOOD, OF COURSE."

.. and actually (I've just checked), Barton got the above text from Carl Sagan's book The Cosmic Connection which was published in 1973.
H5N1 kIlled a wild swan

The Picnic Wasp

If nuclear submarines can fail at ocean depth pressures, I don't think there could ever be a man-made structure capable of surviving such unimaginable forces. We might end up in a different time or universe, but as atoms or smaller.

Slim

I've never understood that either. But I've just googled this:

https://phys.org/news/2016-02-youre-fall-black-hole-rotating.html

"Were it to have a healthy rotation to it there's a possibility, based on new research, that you and your ship could survive the trip intact"

"It has often been assumed that objects approaching a black hole are crushed by the increasing gravity. However, we found that while gravitational forces increase and become infinite, they do so fast enough that their interaction allows physical objects to stay intact as they move toward the center of the black hole"

H5N1 kIlled a wild swan

The Picnic Wasp

Infinite gravitational forces. Now there's something for the human mind to ponder. This is why I take the easier route and consider the existence of a creator. There's something too extraordinarily designed about all these physical rules and regulations. A tantalising tease for the incredible human ability to process to an extent, but always with the realisation that some of it will always be outwith our grasp. I think that's where my hope lies, that one "day" all might be unravelled before us.

Slim

H5N1 kIlled a wild swan

The Picnic Wasp

Quote from: Slim on July 08, 2023, 04:59:01 PMWho designed the creator?

If at all, then not a pronoun, relative or otherwise. More a case of taking a step back from, or out of time altogether, where any possibility could exist. Words that always intrigue me are "Before Abraham was born, I am".

Slim

Well I don't really want to start a religious argument here but I don't think you have any evidence for that proposition.
H5N1 kIlled a wild swan

The Picnic Wasp

Yes, I agree it's the wrong thread for such discussion but my mind always goes into crossover territory when physics goes into the infinite or at least unknown. In response to your question although I would agree that it's not an answer, evidence although desirable isn't always necessary for religious belief. I think of the New Testament as being as accurate as a piece of written history for the time can be, given that so much is anecdotal and translated from ancient languages. The list of people from history regularly quoted isn't that extensive. Jesus and Shakespeare are probably in the top three. More recently I like NP's words,

I tried to believe but you know it's no good,
This is something that just can't be understood.

I think that's fair enough.