My Effin' Life Geddy Lee bio

Started by Thenop, April 07, 2023, 01:41:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nickslikk2112

Don't know if my copy has come yet, but it better be wrapped for Xmas day - alongside a pair of slippers - OR ELSE!!!

Slim

I'm most of the way through this now, up to 1989 and Presto.

I can't overstate what a joy this audiobook has been. It works as a heartfelt, warm, personal memoir but it's also a goldmine of experiences and anecodotes from the Rush touring and recording years. Like others here I was an enthusiastic consumer of those records and tours so to hear these insights, all these years later has been amazing. Geddy covers the whole spectrum, from the consequences of the amount of time he spent on the band to his marriage and how he tried to fix it, to nerd details like why the mixing desk at Trident is better than the one at Advision.

No spoilers here but there's a very humble and sincere reminiscence from Alex, voiced by the man himself on the audiobook, about the recording of Power Windows that's touchingly personal.

Not that he owed it to us, but - this is something like the book we wished Neil had written, though we knew he never would have wanted to. He could have written a brilliant Rush memoir, at least covering 1974 onwards. It would have been massive.

Still - we got one anyway.
H5N1 kIlled a wild swan

Thenop

Couldn't resist, ordered the book.

captainkurtz

I'm loving the book.  Will listen to the audiobook once I'm done reading...

Slim

Here's one of my favourite little snippets of fun facts from the book. Nothing hugely interesting or insightful but it made me laugh.

Sorry but you are not allowed to view spoiler contents.
H5N1 kIlled a wild swan

Thenop

Book is in!. Now onto more serious matters: finding time to read it. I see I have a spot open in my agenda around 2AM... days fly by like crazy.

Slim

I finished it a couple of hours ago. Clockwork Angels, the last tour, Neil's intention to retire, his illness, his death. There are 16 hours, 20 mins of it including the two MFH outtakes tacked on at the end. I started it nine days ago, and I think that must be the quickest I've got through any audiobook, in terms of hours of listening per day.

I didn't enjoy the two previously unreleased tunes personally but then I don't like MFH at all.

I'll start a spoiler thread in a bit unless someone wants to beat me to it. There are a few interesting revelations.
H5N1 kIlled a wild swan

Thenop

Quote from: Slim on November 24, 2023, 06:08:11 PMI'll start a spoiler thread in a bit unless someone wants to beat me to it. There are a few interesting revelations.

thanks for giving me an incentive to place it at the top my to-read list.

captainkurtz

Quote from: Slim on November 24, 2023, 06:08:11 PMI finished it a couple of hours ago. Clockwork Angels, the last tour, Neil's intention to retire, his illness, his death. There are 16 hours, 20 mins of it including the two MFH outtakes tacked on at the end. I started it nine days ago, and I think that must be the quickest I've got through any audiobook, in terms of hous of listening per day.

I didn't enjoy the two previously unreleased tunes personally but then I don't like MFH at all.

I'll start a spoiler thread in a bit unless someone wants to beat me to it. There are a few interesting revelations.
Only about 150 pages in and there's quite a few things that have been revelatory to me...

Thenop

Audiobook listeners (at this point only Slim I think): even though in print it says 'effin', it that carried through to the audio portion, or is the actual 'F' word used?

Slim

Quote from: Thenop on November 25, 2023, 01:26:38 PMAudiobook listeners (at this point only Slim I think): even though in print it says 'effin', it that carried through to the audio portion, or is the actual 'F' word used?

He does use the actual F word quite a bit, but he also says "effin'" a lot as well. Just did a search through the online Kindle reader and there are 73 instances of "fuck" and 71 of "effin'" in the text. I'm sure the audiobook is exactly the same.
H5N1 kIlled a wild swan

Thenop

No spoilers:
I read the first chapter quickly and I have to say I enjoy his writing style very much. No doubt it is edited, shaved and polished by a  professional editor, but still, his voice shines though. It has a warmth and kind of 'soul' to it. It feels alive.
I have always had difficulty reading Pearts' dense writing, there's no room to breathe when reading those books. It feels a bit forced and (con)strained, but this is abreath of frsh air.
The pace, the natural way of telling things. It might be one of the easiest biographies I have (started) read(ing).
Also: I have the tendency of 'reading' it in his voice. The only other biography I have had that with was Miles Davis'.

Looking forward to the rest of the book.

Slim

Just saw this on Instagram a few minutes ago. I assume the spelling mistake isn't interntional.

H5N1 kIlled a wild swan

Matt2112

I'm three chapters in.  I'm completely engrossed already and excited for what's to come.  I suppose I'll have a lot more to say in the spoilers thread once I've finished the book.

Nick

Just found I have this "free" on Spotify premium.