This is Ukraine - Do not Panic.

Started by Rufus_the_dawg, February 24, 2022, 05:23:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nick

Imagine being so inept you miss an entire country!

David L

Quote from: Slim on November 15, 2022, 07:30:43 PMReports that a Russian missile has hit Poland, a NATO country of course.

I hope it turns out to be bogus.

I guess we'll see if this is a repeat of Obama's 'red line' in Syria

Slim

Possibilities that come to mind:

• It was a domestic gas explosion or similar
  • It was caused by a stray Ukrainian surface-air missile
  • The Russians did it, but it went off course into Poland
  • The Russians did it as a deliberate provocation to face down NATO

I think the third possibility is the most probable. No doubt the remains of the weapon, if there was one, will be examined forensically.
H5N1 kIlled a wild swan

Nickslikk2112

Looks like it could be an S-300 which is used by both sides.

David L

Quote from: Nickslikk2112 on November 15, 2022, 09:48:32 PMLooks like it could be an S-300 which is used by both sides.
Impressive USSR missile knowledge  ;)

David L

Quote from: Slim on November 15, 2022, 09:31:13 PMPossibilities that come to mind:

• It was a domestic gas explosion or similar
  • It was caused by a stray Ukrainian surface-air missile
  • The Russians did it, but it went off course into Poland
  • The Russians did it as a deliberate provocation to face down NATO

I think the third possibility is the most probable. No doubt the remains of the weapon, if there was one, will be examined forensically.

Zelensky has already made up his mind

Matt2112

Emerging that it's likely a stray Ukrainian missile.

dom

I really don't think a single missle even if it was provocatively launched should cause a serious response. It hit a remote farm, not a populous or infrastructually important site. Obviously a sustained launch or a single one that caused materially significant damage should cause a response. I'm sorry for they 2 deaths but the shouldn't be a reason to cause many more.

Slim

Quote from: dom on November 16, 2022, 08:26:49 AMI really don't think a single missle even if it was provocatively launched should cause a serious response. It hit a remote farm, not a populous or infrastructually important site. Obviously a sustained launch or a single one that caused materially significant damage should cause a response. I'm sorry for they 2 deaths but the shouldn't be a reason to cause many more.

Appeasement might cost more lives in the long term. If it were to be established that the Russians deliberately fired a missile into Poland, then given that people were killed a military response would be imperative.
H5N1 kIlled a wild swan

The Picnic Wasp

Eight billion people now, and we have no voice.

Slim

I looked at the missile strike location on a map last night - hard to fathom how a Ukrainian AA missile could have landed there given that it's to the west - unless it was fired to the east of an incoming Russian projectile, in the hope that it would catch it up.
H5N1 kIlled a wild swan

dom

I think "appeasement" is a little strong. More a weighing up of actions and their consequences.

Nickslikk2112

Quote from: Slim on November 16, 2022, 11:42:38 AMI looked at the missile strike location on a map last night - hard to fathom how a Ukrainian AA missile could have landed there given that it's to the west - unless it was fired to the east of an incoming Russian projectile, in the hope that it would catch it up.
Some of these Russian missile systems don't work too well. Didn't a Ukrainian missile land in one of the former Yugoslav republics earlier in the Special Military Operation?

David L