What's in/on Your DVD/VCR/PVR etc

Started by pxr5, February 23, 2022, 08:06:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

pxr5

Quote from: Fishy on June 16, 2023, 02:15:21 PMJoan is awful ...first ep of the new black mirror season
Watched this tonight and the second episode Loch Henry. I'll comment more in the Black Mirror thread, but it's great to have this show back. In fact I'm going to watch them all again from the first series.
"Oh, for the wings of any bird other than a Battery hen."

R6GYY

Just started:

Star Trek: Strange New Worlds S02 E01

Fishy

Loch Henry ep2 of new Black Mirror season
From The Land of Honest Men

Red Lenses

Finished The Days (Netflix) which was good viewing, obviously not in the same league production values wise when it comes to Chernobyl - 8/10.

Finished Pieces of Her (Netflix) which was decent enough - 7/10.

Hopefully start on Black Mirror this week.

Matt2112

Enys Men

Cornish for "stone island" and pronounced "Ennis Main", this is Mark Jenkin's follow-up to his debut feature Bait, which is very good indeed and highly recommended.

With folk horror strangeness, a deep sense of the uncanny, and recalling the likes of Don't Look Now, The Shining, The Lighthouse, Hammer horror and even Lynchian elements, this for the most part was right up my street.

This film does however require a great deal of forbearance from the viewer: especially in the early stages, it's necessarily slow and monotonous as it establishes the sense of isolation of the main character. 

By the end of its 90 minutes I was left more impressed with the technical achievements of Jenkin's undoubted talents for directing, writing, filming, editing etc etc than unsettled by the eeriness of the film itself.

Overall, it's worth seeing if you're into cultish oddities - just be prepared for something very odd indeed.

Rating: ***

R6GYY

Saturday night was Mission Impossible: 3.

What a fantastic start to this film!

What I liked about it from when I first saw it, and this hasn't changed, is how deeply personal this is for Ethan Hunt, and Cruise steps up to the mark in the acting stakes.

Of course, he is also paired off against the superb Philip Seymour Hoffman as the antagonist.

Despite some timing quibbles about the whole getting from the USA to Shanghai business, and other minor issues, this is something still quite special. JJ Abrams also stayed at the helm for the following Ghost Protocol, which will follow next weekend :D then it'll be on to McQ territory for 5 and 6.

Must admit, I'm getting quite psyched now about the new film, although it is only on at the IMAX for a week or so, so we will have to be quick.

pxr5

Just kicked off Series 2 of Fromhttps://www.imdb.com/title/tt9813792/ More weirdness from the folks trapped in a spooky town

R6GYY

Quote from: pxr5 on June 19, 2023, 10:01:28 PMJust kicked off Series 2 of Fromhttps://www.imdb.com/title/tt9813792/ More weirdness from the folks trapped in a spooky town
Is it as weird and spooky as being trapped in Wayward Pines?

pxr5

Quote from: R6GYY on June 20, 2023, 10:32:06 AM
Quote from: pxr5 on June 19, 2023, 10:01:28 PMJust kicked off Series 2 of Fromhttps://www.imdb.com/title/tt9813792/ More weirdness from the folks trapped in a spooky town
Is it as weird and spooky as being trapped in Wayward Pines?
Haha yes, it is a bit similar. The big problem with Wayward Pines was that as soon as it was revealed what was going on it sort of became pointless. With From (now on series 2) nothing has been explained yet. It's worth a watch though.

Trivial trivia: Harold Perrineau, who is the lead in From, was also in Lost

Matt2112

Spider-Man: Into The Spider-Verse

Revisited ahead of seeing its sequel in the cinema (hopefully).

I'll keep it short and sweet: this deserved Best Animated Feature Oscar-winner is not only the best Spider-Man film of them all thus far, animated or otherwise, but also the best "multi-verse" film.

I took the opportunity to watch it undisturbed with the house empty, so the sub-woofer had a terrific workout. :)

Rating: ****

R6GYY

Speaking of superheros, well I'm just back from The Flash at my local IMAX. Not a big DC fan myself, but I was drawn in by Michael Keaton.

I'm glad I went now - this is terrific fun, and Ezra Miller has won me over (regardless of whatever difficulties he is facing personally).

There are cameos a-plenty, including the post-credits scene. The relevance of which went over my head. Must mean something to somebody.

R6GYY

First 2 episodes of Silo

I think it is worth sticking with.

pxr5

^ Silo is likely my next watch (that, Yellowjackets series 2 or Sweet Tooth series 2 - my wife will choose)

R6GYY

Watched 5 episodes of Silo now. And 2 of Strange New Worlds Season 2.

Tonight's viewing shall be Mission Impossible: Ghost Protocol.

pxr5

Finished Series 2 of From last night. A good first series, but a drab second one. No answers whatsoever, just more questions and mystery. The acting is half decent at least.