Main Menu

So what are you listening to?

Started by pdw1, February 22, 2022, 11:48:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Thenop

Bought the Go West! Sonny Rollins a while back, hadn't listened to it wet, but broke it out today. Of course I knew Way Out West, a fantastic album and now playing, but it'll be interesting to hear the other 2 albums.
One thing I am noticing more and more is how fantastic these albums were recorded (in 1957! no less). Everything sounds so open and clear, just fantastic. Yes I know reocring techniques have prohressed, multitracks and all, but still there's something to be said for just sticking 2 mics in a studio and play away.

pdw1

Kerry King - Idle Hands
New Kerry = old Kerry just angrier

Thenop

Quote from: pdw1 on February 05, 2024, 06:13:47 PMKerry King - Idle Hands
New Kerry = old Kerry just angrier

Meh, heard it and dunno. I do really like Mark Osegueda, one of the few that can actually sing. But King's riffs are just so generic. Much preferred Hanneman. 

pdw1

Quote from: Thenop on February 05, 2024, 06:32:45 PMMeh, heard it and dunno. I do really like Mark Osegueda, one of the few that can actually sing. But King's riffs are just so generic. Much preferred Hanneman. 

Yeah know what you mean. There is a great recent interview with Steven Wilson where he talks about coming home with the new Slayer album as a teenage and realising it sounded just like te previous one and the one before that! It was the last Slayer album he bought.

pdw1

Stormtroopers Of Death - Speak English Or Die
(am I allowed to admit to being a big fan?)

Ali

Zep - Houses of the Holy deluxe companion disc

Thenop

No Sleep 'til Hammersmith  8)

Thenop

Quote from: pdw1 on February 05, 2024, 08:41:21 PMStormtroopers Of Death - Speak English Or Die

Played this endlessly back in the day. No shame in admitting that!

pdw1

Quote from: Thenop on February 06, 2024, 05:51:22 PM
Quote from: pdw1 on February 05, 2024, 08:41:21 PMStormtroopers Of Death - Speak English Or Die

Well that will be 2 of us being cancelled. Hopefully Scott Ian will be on the desert island they banish us to.

Ali

Yes - Close to the Edge (Steven Wilson remix)

pxr5

I'm really enjoying this French band, Nine Skies, at the moment. Only 4 albums released so far though but each one is brilliant. My favourite is the most recent - The Lightmaker.

Nine Skies - The Lightmaker (LP, 2023)
BC, SPO

Nine Skies - 5.20 (LP, 2021)
BC, SPO

Nine Skies - Sweetheart Grips (LP, 2019)
BC, SPO

Nine Skies - Return Home (LP, 2017)
BC, SPO

Generated at awesomeprog.com
"Oh, for the wings of any bird other than a Battery hen."

Thenop

Quote from: pdw1 on February 06, 2024, 05:53:19 PM
Quote from: Thenop on February 06, 2024, 05:51:22 PM

Well that will be 2 of us being cancelled. Hopefully Scott Ian will be on the desert island they banish us to.

Will be a Madhouse for sure

Ali

Atom Heart Mother (original quad mix) from The Early Years - 1970 - Devi/ation bluray

pdw1

Aynsley Lister - Everything I Need
Aynsley Lister - Along For The Ride

David L

Snarky Puppy - We Like It Here
Pat Metheny Group - American Garage