What's made your day today?

Started by pxr5, February 25, 2022, 02:19:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Matt2112

Employer has granted an early finish ahead of the long weekend. :D 8)

Rufus_the_dawg

Quote from: Fishy on April 13, 2022, 05:20:18 PMOn holiday off to Arran tomorrow...

Brilliant standing stones, amazing views from the light house, and when I went the Whisky distillery was just being set up, I wonder what it taste like?

Rufus_the_dawg

I'm not religious at all but I am interested in the subject.
Some friends came around for supper last night and we were talking about Jesus and Easter and we were talking about what happens on to him over Easter and when does he ascend to heaven.

Anyway there is a theory that following the crucifixion of Jesus' his followers bribed the Roman guard and took the living JC down from the cross. They tended his wounds and he then went visiting his followers, after that the Romans wanted to see his body and so the ascending to heaven was made up. Jesus had to disappear so he then lived out his later days in India and lived till he was 70.

I thought that sounds way more plausible and a much more happy story.

Instead of the terrible heavy JC died on the cross to save our souls.

Slim

I also find religious belief fascinating; it really is a confounding phenomenon. I was thinking about starting a thread here about belief in "God". Actually I used to spend a lot more time arguing about this (on the rational side) on the old rushmessageboard.com site than talking about Rush. We had a long-running thread on TNMS, as well.

Perhaps the Politics section should be renamed Religion and Politics and it should go in there.
H5N1 kIlled a wild swan

Rufus_the_dawg

I find spirituality fascinating, is that why I like Tai Shan and High Water?  Just finished reading The Name of the Rose which is murder mystery set against a meeting of different sects of the church to discuss poverty, and a truce between the Holy Roman emperor the Pope . And also how the different sects behave towards the murders and the reasons for the murders. Does Jesus laugh? and what does that mean for religious beliefs! or something like that.

Matt2112

All moot; there's no good reason to suppose any characters or events described in the "gospels" are grounded in historical fact.

In any case a dedicated thread seems a wise idea.

Slim

I turned on the radio this morning shortly after waking up to hear a person speaking in what could only be a Hartlepool accent. I listened for a few minutes and realised I was listening to my old schoolmate Tony Hutchinson! Tony led the investigation into the Seaton Carew life insurance fraud involving a disappearing canoe. I last saw him in 1980, strolling along Grange Road in Hartlepool in a police uniform.

The story has been dramatised as The Thief, His Wife and the Canoe and the first part will be broadcast at 9pm on ITV. Looking forward to seeing the Hartlepool locations.

One thing that irritated me slightly was that judging by the audio clips, they've settled for Geordie accents rather than the authentic Teesside. But most people south of Leeds probably couldn't tell the difference.
H5N1 kIlled a wild swan

David L

Quote from: Slim on April 17, 2022, 08:40:09 PMI turned on the radio this morning shortly after waking up to hear a person speaking in what could only be a Hartlepool accent. I listened for a few minutes and realised I was listening to my old schoolmate Tony Hutchinson! Tony led the investigation into the Seaton Carew life insurance fraud involving a disappearing canoe. I last saw him in 1980, strolling along Grange Road in Hartlepool in a police uniform.

The story has been dramatised as The Thief, His Wife and the Canoe and the first part will be broadcast at 9pm on ITV. Looking forward to seeing the Hartlepool locations.

One thing that irritated me slightly was that judging by the audio clips, they've settled for Geordie accents rather than the authentic Teesside. But most people south of Leeds probably couldn't tell the difference.
Just seen this and I can wholeheartedly agree with the last sentence!

Nickslikk2112

Quote from: Slim on April 17, 2022, 08:40:09 PMOne thing that irritated me slightly was that judging by the audio clips, they've settled for Geordie accents rather than the authentic Teesside. But most people south of Leeds probably couldn't tell the difference.
I'd like to think I can. As a kid my family were friends with a family from Durham and they were always pointing out how their accent differed from Geordie. To my ears the Teeside accent starts kicking in from the west side of Whitby. East side of Whitby is more Yorkshire.

Any time a TV series is set in the East Midlands the locals get given a generic Northern accent. So wrong, but the East Mids is quite hard to get right.

Rufus_the_dawg

I thought east midlands was up north?

Nickslikk2112

Quote from: Rufus_the_dawg on April 19, 2022, 03:46:08 PMI thought east midlands was up north?
The North begins at Chesterfield - according to me, my old father said Clay Cross. It's a subtle thing, but then Geordies would class us as Southern puffs...

R6GYY

Fish, chips, mushy peas and bread and butter at the seaside yesterday.

David L

Quote from: R6GYY on April 21, 2022, 10:45:47 AMFish, chips, mushy peas and bread and butter at the seaside yesterday.
All passed through with no discomfort, I'm assuming  ;D  ;)

R6GYY

Was delighted to see footage of a visiting hedgehog last night, caught on our trail camera.

A pretty rare sight.

Fishy

Off work for a week so it's a weekend in Oban then 5 days in Mull.. and the weather looks pretty fucking good👍
From The Land of Honest Men