Main Menu

Sitcom Worm

Started by The Picnic Wasp, February 19, 2023, 01:49:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Picnic Wasp

I have this annoyingly vague recollection of a pretty poor sitcom shown about fifteen years ago (at a guess). It seemed to be based on some young professional types sharing a house. Not This Life or Fresh Meat. It was your lesser quality 8 - 9 pm type material. I remember a young attractive blonde haired woman, a couple of guys and a very loud, well presented, fashion conscious woman who I remembered incorrectly as a younger Nina Sosanya, but dozens of Google searches later suggest it wasn't her. Not much to go on I'm sorry, but if rings any bells with anyone I'd be grateful. I don't think I thought it was particularly watchable at the time but it's just part of the amazing capacity of our minds to retain unnecessary material. I'd love to able to file it away and forget about it again.

pxr5

"Oh, for the wings of any bird other than a Battery hen."

The Picnic Wasp

Sorry, it was British. All English actors as far as I'm aware. I wish I could think of some subject matters but it must have just washed by at the time. I remember the girl I mistakenly thought might be Nina S used to have a very strong, well spoken voice, was hugely opinionated and used to dress to the nines, very tastefully. Long red fashionable coats seem to be in my mental picture. If anyone cracks the code I'll be relieved and surprised. However, I have another niggling memory of a 1970s English family sitcom that no one I've spoken to remembers either.

Slim

Quote from: The Picnic Wasp on February 19, 2023, 01:49:12 PMI have this annoyingly vague recollection of a pretty poor sitcom shown about fifteen years ago (at a guess). It seemed to be based on some young professional types sharing a house. Not This Life or Fresh Meat. It was your lesser quality 8 - 9 pm type material. I remember a young attractive blonde haired woman, a couple of guys and a very loud, well presented, fashion conscious woman who I remembered incorrectly as a younger Nina Sosanya, but dozens of Google searches later suggest it wasn't her.

Not much to go on I'm sorry, but if rings any bells with anyone I'd be grateful. I don't think I thought it was particularly watchable at the time but it's just part of the amazing capacity of our minds to retain unnecessary material. I'd love to able to file it away and forget about it again.

Game On perhaps? Featuring the lovely Samantha Womack. I don't remember the fashion-conscious woman though.

Describe the '70s sitcom - I might well remember it.
H5N1 kIlled a wild swan

pxr5

Have a flick through these might help:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Category:1990s_British_sitcoms

My first thought was The Upper Hand https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Upper_Hand_(TV_series) but it doesn't quite fit with your description.
"Oh, for the wings of any bird other than a Battery hen."

The Picnic Wasp

Thank you both for the pointers. It wasn't Game On unfortunately. When I did my initial search that title came up and I was hopeful, but alas, no. The Wikipedia list seems to be the way to go. I'll start with A tonight and wade through. There's plenty to discount along the way so might not be too onerous an exercise. I can rule out one I spotted on your link, Atletico Partick. My family originated there in the 1800s and owned a few businesses over the years. I count myself lucky to be here with these OCD intrusions.

Partick was a perilous place to live during WW2. My mother's family lived in a tenement two or three stone throws from the Clyde docks and shipyards. My grandmother wouldn't take the family to the bomb shelter which was the local Subway train station. She was aware that the tunnel had taken a direct hit just a street away leaving a gaping hole exposing the tracks below. That coupled with the fact one of my uncles, a toddler at the time became hysterical each time they tried to make him wear his Mickey Mouse gas mask. She took the decision that it was best to stay together and if the worst was to happen the family would be together. I really respect her bravery and there was a very close shave from a land mine not long afterwards. Sorry, way off topic.

The Picnic Wasp

The 70s sitcom was fairly nondescript. A typical lower middle class suburban English family with no prominent actors that I can remember. Much of the dialogue occurred in the sitting room where an uncle of the family would sit oblivious of the conversations going on around him. When he was forced by a family member to engage in something, he would jolt out of his stupor and blurt out the names of two or three hardwood species. He had spent a lifetime in the timber trade I think and would just holler "American Black Walnut, Mahogany" etc at inappropriate times. Very weird and probably not very well written which usually spells early doom for such shows.

Slim

Quote from: The Picnic Wasp on February 19, 2023, 08:08:37 PMThank you both for the pointers. It wasn't Game On unfortunately. When I did my initial search that title came up and I was hopeful, but alas, no.

Not Two Pints of Lager and a Packet of Crisps?

H5N1 kIlled a wild swan

Fishy

From The Land of Honest Men

dom

It does sound like Men Behaving Badly but that was quite high profile

The Picnic Wasp

I think I might just have to accept defeat on this. It must have been some obscure, unsuccessful short run that I happened to accidentally tune into. I wonder if the girl actually did look quite like Nina Sosanya or is my recollection inaccurate. She was very snooty with the others.

Red Lenses