COVID-19

Started by Slim, March 12, 2022, 11:08:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nickslikk2112

Quote from: Nick on March 30, 2022, 08:39:11 PMMy daughter is a nurse and says her hospital is rammed to the gills with covid at the moment, 600 staff off over two hospitals.
So, 2% of the Admin staff then...

Also, is it rammed to the gills with people in there for something else who just happen to have COVID?

David L

Quote from: Nickslikk2112 on March 30, 2022, 09:53:39 PM
Quote from: Nick on March 30, 2022, 08:39:11 PMMy daughter is a nurse and says her hospital is rammed to the gills with covid at the moment, 600 staff off over two hospitals.
So, 2% of the Admin staff then...

;D

David L

Africa doesn't need a vaccine (sorry Bill)

https://youtu.be/ilFUz6BVoS8

Matt2112

Tentative indications that the eye-popping case numbers of the BA2 wave may have peaked.

Hope so, as they seem directly proportionate to the amount of sanctimonious finger-wagging by the likes of "Independent Sage". ::)

David L

Sajid Javid has launched a campaign to increase levels of vitamin D as he acknowledges that black and asian people living in the UK have much lower levels than the fair-skinned population (who are also deficient).

What a shame this was not acknowledged at the beginning of the pandemic, lives would have been saved, undoubtedly. Of course, there was no money in it

https://news.sky.com/story/vitamin-d-deficiency-health-secretary-launches-review-to-increase-intake-of-vital-nutrient-12580591

Rufus_the_dawg

Quote from: David L on April 06, 2022, 12:40:49 AMSajid Javid has launched a campaign to increase levels of vitamin D as he acknowledges that black and asian people living in the UK have much lower levels than the fair-skinned population (who are also deficient).

What a shame this was not acknowledged at the beginning of the pandemic, lives would have been saved, undoubtedly. Of course, there was no money in it

https://news.sky.com/story/vitamin-d-deficiency-health-secretary-launches-review-to-increase-intake-of-vital-nutrient-12580591

vitamin d deficiency can cause osteoporosis which can lead to broken bones. Apparently 3 million people in the UK have this disease. It can really affect older people, this is why when an older person falls they can easily break bones that do not heal quickly.

David L

Quote from: Rufus_the_dawg on April 06, 2022, 10:33:42 PM
Quote from: David L on April 06, 2022, 12:40:49 AMSajid Javid has launched a campaign to increase levels of vitamin D as he acknowledges that black and asian people living in the UK have much lower levels than the fair-skinned population (who are also deficient).

vitamin d deficiency can cause osteoporosis which can lead to broken bones. Apparently 3 million people in the UK have this disease. It can really affect older people, this is why when an older person falls they can easily break bones that do not heal quickly.
Yes, I knew all that but to be vitamin D deficient also reduces transmissibility and serious outcomes when it comes to Covid-19 and that was known early in the pandemic

David L

Jonathan Van-Tam has been forced to miss the ceremony for his knighthood after falling ill with....Covid-19. Hmmm, I'd have thought he'd been vaccinated............four times, I'd wager  ;D

Matt2112

Quote from: David L on May 19, 2022, 02:03:27 PMJonathan Van-Tam has been forced to miss the ceremony for his knighthood after falling ill with....Covid-19. Hmmm, I'd have thought he'd been vaccinated............four times, I'd wager  ;D

Yes, so likely preventing symptoms much more serious.

In other news, there's still no cure for seasonal flu, either. :)

David L

Quote from: Matt2112 on May 19, 2022, 08:25:28 PM
Quote from: David L on May 19, 2022, 02:03:27 PMJonathan Van-Tam has been forced to miss the ceremony for his knighthood after falling ill with....Covid-19. Hmmm, I'd have thought he'd been vaccinated............four times, I'd wager  ;D

In other news, there's still no cure for seasonal flu, either. :)

Yes, they really should be able to monetise that one more.....I'd have thought. One jab a year....pah!
Get on it Tedros, Gates wants action!  ;)

Matt2112

Apparently the Covid alert level was downgraded this week; remember when Boris found cause to solemnly update us all on its status during an unmissable live 5pm broadcast?

It barely makes online news outlet sidebars now.

Good.

Slim

Good news on the vaccine front - research and development has continued unabated, and Moderna have a vaccine that's reportedly five times better at boosting antibodies:

https://www.gbnews.uk/news/modernas-new-covid-vaccine-five-times-better-than-original-scientists-say/313915

Needless to say the massed ranks of the amateur immunologists in the GBNEWS Twitter comments have been quick to dismiss this. But in real life it may well help to prevent lockdowns in the coming years.
H5N1 kIlled a wild swan

David L

Quote from: Slim on June 09, 2022, 04:36:02 PMGood news on the vaccine front - research and development has continued unabated, and Moderna have a vaccine that's reportedly five times better at boosting antibodies:

https://www.gbnews.uk/news/modernas-new-covid-vaccine-five-times-better-than-original-scientists-say/313915

Needless to say the massed ranks of the amateur immunologists in the GBNEWS Twitter comments have been quick to dismiss this. But in real life it may well help to prevent lockdowns in the coming years.
(Unsurprisingly)I'm with the amateur immunologists. No longer required, Omicron was nature's vaccine

Matt2112

Quote(Unsurprisingly)I'm with the amateur immunologists. No longer required, Omicron was nature's vaccine

Is it not more prudent to have the vaccine, that is very likely to significantly mitigate symptoms in the event of catching Covid, than taking your chances with Covid and being much more exposed to any potential bad outcomes?

Remember the chance of serious adverse effects as a direct result of taking the vaccine is literally in the region of 0.001%.

David L

Quote from: Matt2112 on June 09, 2022, 10:43:29 PM
Quote(Unsurprisingly)I'm with the amateur immunologists. No longer required, Omicron was nature's vaccine

Is it not more prudent to have the vaccine, that is very likely to significantly mitigate symptoms in the event of catching Covid, than taking your chances with Covid and being much more exposed to any potential bad outcomes?

Nope, not for me. I don't trust the manufacturers, money is their prime motivation. For most people, their own immune system is more than adequate.