What's made your day today?

Started by pxr5, February 25, 2022, 02:19:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nickslikk2112

Fortunately I only have neighbours on one side. Couldn't say what they look like as I've seen them about twice in the ten years they've lived there. They probably don't think much of us as the 20 feet of garden from our house to the boundary fence is overgrown - but it's a wildlife garden innit...

Previous neighbour was a funny so and so, a widow woman, one minute she'd be nice ang chatty and giving you a bottle of beer, next minute she'd be flying round on a broomstick emptying cauldrons of boiling Lizard Lungs onto the house.

She only really fell out with Mrs S though, which is funny as Mrs S is the nice one and I'm the ignorant curmudgeon  :-\

Nickslikk2112

Got train tickets to Newcastle through Trainsplit to replace the ones I've returned to Cross Country trains at a much cheaper price  :)

David L

Quote from: Nickslikk2112 on April 19, 2024, 02:47:33 PMGot train tickets to Newcastle through Trainsplit to replace the ones I've returned to Cross Country trains at a much cheaper price  :)
Trainsplit? Was that set up by Mussolini?

Nickslikk2112

Quote from: David L on April 19, 2024, 04:10:19 PM
Quote from: Nickslikk2112 on April 19, 2024, 02:47:33 PMGot train tickets to Newcastle through Trainsplit to replace the ones I've returned to Cross Country trains at a much cheaper price  :)
Trainsplit? Was that set up by Mussolini?
Unfortunately not. You get your ticket in several bits and still the trains don't run on time :(

The Picnic Wasp

Elton, Mick and Ozzy sitting round a table enjoying a nice cup of tea.

ELTON: "Since getting older, all I really need is a Specsavers, a Boots and a Greggs".

OZZY: "Yep, life's all specs and drugs and sausage rolls".

Slim

Car passed its MOT again, that's two years in a row.
H5N1 kIlled a wild swan

The Picnic Wasp

Sister thought she had been caught in a speed trap. When her friend drove past the spot later she noticed that it was in fact a cardboard cutout policewoman.

Matt2112

A POETS day at work. And I've got next Monday off. :D

David L

Looked at the balance in my current account and noticed that my BT Pension payment was about twice what it should be. Thought it was a bit of a drag to have to ring BTPS to get an explanation. Got through to a human being after just a couple of rings. I was informed that the extra payment was an adjustment to my tax-free lump sum that could only be determined after the end of the tax year and was a result of me beginning to take my pension in the middle of the tax year.
£1263.94 I was not expecting - thank you!  :)

Thenop

Quote from: David L on April 30, 2024, 02:39:31 PMLooked at the balance in my current account and noticed that my BT Pension payment was about twice what it should be. Thought it was a bit of a drag to have to ring BTPS to get an explanation. Got through to a human being after just a couple of rings. I was informed that the extra payment was an adjustment to my tax-free lump sum that could only be determined after the end of the tax year and was a result of me beginning to take my pension in the middle of the tax year.

What are we going to spend it on  ;D

David L

Quote from: Thenop on April 30, 2024, 03:38:43 PM
Quote from: David L on April 30, 2024, 02:39:31 PMLooked at the balance in my current account and noticed that my BT Pension payment was about twice what it should be. Thought it was a bit of a drag to have to ring BTPS to get an explanation. Got through to a human being after just a couple of rings. I was informed that the extra payment was an adjustment to my tax-free lump sum that could only be determined after the end of the tax year and was a result of me beginning to take my pension in the middle of the tax year.

What are we going to spend it on  ;D
Well......I've had a bit of a hi-fi related nightmare in the last couple of weeks. Thought I had a fault with my moving coil phono stage, I didn't but it cost me £150 to discover that ( >:( ). I do have an issue with my Ortofon MC cartridge. If it can be repaired, around £700. If not, about £1500 to replace. Not too happy as although 5 years old, it only has 490 hours on it (should really have another 10 years life in it). The RRPs of the higher end Ortofon carts have gone crazy in that 5 years (bloody Brexit  ;D ).
So my windfall could not have been better timed!
At least I have a second turntable to use!

Thenop

That sounds like the most very excellent usage of money to me.
As an alternative, you could go - as a wise man on this forum once said - buy a decent cd player and be done with it  ;D

(Cadenza red is it?)

David L

Quote from: Thenop on April 30, 2024, 05:31:03 PMThat sounds like the most very excellent usage of money to me.
As an alternative, you could go - as a wise man on this forum once said - buy a decent cd player and be done with it  ;D

(Cadenza red is it?)
Cadenza Bronze.  Currently retails for £2199. Would cost me £1536 plus the old one in exchange. I'm hoping it can be repaired!
I wouldn't consider buying a decent CD player (I already have one of those) but I would consider an EverSolo DPM-A6 Master Edition...........if I hadn't already just bought one! 🙂

The Picnic Wasp

I'm glad I've never been exposed to music at this level of quality reproduction as I'd probably like it and think about putting something together. I was blown away by my first experience with stereo in the 70s and everything I've bought since then has impressed me thoroughly, but middle the road separates like Technics have always felt like enough. Horses for courses though, you don't buy Cadenza to play a Rickenbacker bass along with.

Thenop

Quote from: The Picnic Wasp on April 30, 2024, 08:54:56 PMI'm glad I've never been exposed to music at this level of quality reproduction as I'd probably like it and think about putting something together. I was blown away by my first experience with stereo in the 70s and everything I've bought since then has impressed me thoroughly, but middle the road separates like Technics have always felt like enough. Horses for courses though, you don't buy Cadenza to play a Rickenbacker bass along with.

Bass solos are overrated.