What's made your day today?

Started by pxr5, February 25, 2022, 02:19:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

R6GYY

Due to various time constraints (and weather) I haven't been shooting at my club for must be over 2 months now. I did pop in, in October, to pay my annual subscription and had a brief chat but didn't bring my gear.

So it was great to get there last Sunday, a cool and bright November day, and very mild to spend an hour or so shooting on the range, and then a walk around the woods shooting at the knock-down 'field targets'. It felt great.

My rifle hasn't been idle though - it has been earning its keep taking care of the rats in our garden. I have had 20 rodents now since August. I say rodents rather than rats as a few of them were mice.

Slim

I do miss my rifle shooting sometimes, haven't done it for over 20 years now. Still have my Derbyshire Rifle Association Marksman's patch somewhere.

This was my rifle, an Anschutz 1413. I gave it to the club when I left London. this was one of the first photos I took with my first digital camera in 2000.

H5N1 kIlled a wild swan

Slim

Anyway today's simple pleasure is my new garage door. The only downer is that the key is 1.8g heavier than the old one, and since I take it with me on every bike ride, that's significant.

H5N1 kIlled a wild swan

David L

Key? I'd have thought it would employ retinal recognition. It's 2022 you know  ;D  ;)

The Picnic Wasp

Boxing up some old CDs today and found an ancient £15 iTunes voucher. According to Google they don't have an expiration date.

Matt2112

From last night, but still: as part of my covers band's set we do One Week by Barenaked Ladies and I perform the vocals.

This of course is a formidable challenge: the sheer amount of words to remember, the hyper-speed at which many of lines have to be enunciated, the lines that sound like they're being repeated but are actually slightly different from each other, that you have to remember to take a breath in every spare half second you get. And that I must resist the occasional urge to corpse at the song's wry humour.

Before last night, every time I'd attempted it either during a gig or in practise I could never do it to perfection, sometimes missing out on that with the slightest of fumbles, like hitting 95% accuracy on Guitar Hero or something.

But last night, in front of a packed and lively Friday night audience, I managed to absolutely nail it, punching the air in jubilation after crossing the finish line with "Birchmount Stadium, home of the Robbie".

Fishy

I cut my grass today.. looks great
From The Land of Honest Men

Nickslikk2112

A one stop trip on the Elizabeth Line.
I'm easily pleased, but I've seen so many programmes on its construction I had to try it out whilst I was down in London. Mrs S enjoyed it.

Matt2112

Found a professional qualification certificate of mine that I lost just over three years ago - after practically dismantling the set of drawers where I keep such documents, while looking for something else.  It had somehow fallen out the back of a drawer and down into the least accessible nook possible.

Feeling very serendipitous right now.

Slim

Had a wonderful day out in Northampton. Took the day off work. It would have been a glorious cycling day and there aren't many of those at this end of the year, but I'm glad I went. Drove there on my own and revisited some of my old haunts from my six month Lost Weekend there in 1984.

Hadn't been since December.

H5N1 kIlled a wild swan

David L

Quote from: Fishy on November 08, 2022, 03:53:38 PMBeen holding off getting smart meters.. glad I did .. another letter from e-on saying if u book in for new meters we'll credit ur account £50 per meter
Booked in for Dec 8th👍
It's about control

https://www.birminghammail.co.uk/news/cost-of-living/families-struggling-pay-energy-bills-25581210

Slim

Many years ago, in a cinema in Middlesbrough, I saw the following short film about Birmingham, narrated by Telly Savalas. I came across it again on YouTube today. Priceless.

H5N1 kIlled a wild swan

The Picnic Wasp

Quote from: Slim on November 25, 2022, 04:54:58 PMHad a wonderful day out in Northampton. Took the day off work. It would have been a glorious cycling day and there aren't many of those at this end of the year, but I'm glad I went. Drove there on my own and revisited some of my old haunts from my six month Lost Weekend there in 1984.

Hadn't been since December.

So much flatness. Your world is very different.

Matt2112

One from yesterday morning I didn't get round to posting about.

A female football referee was being interviewed on BBC Radio Four's Today programme, discussing last night's World Cup game where all the officials were women.

The last question put to her was: "Why aren't there any female referees in the Premiership?"

I don't think the BBC got the answer from this lady they were looking for or expecting - she simply said: "Because there aren't any that are good enough yet". 

dom

Quote from: Matt2112 on December 02, 2022, 01:01:42 PMOne from yesterday morning I didn't get round to posting about.

A female football referee was being interviewed on BBC Radio Four's Today programme, discussing last night's World Cup game where all the officials were women.

The last question put to her was: "Why aren't there any female referees in the Premiership?"

I don't think the BBC got the answer from this lady they were looking for or expecting - she simply said: "Because there aren't any that are good enough yet". 

What makes you think they weren't expecting that response?