Ghostbusters: Afterlife

Started by Matt2112, May 16, 2022, 07:12:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Matt2112

What cracking fun this is for its 2 hours or so!

The Ghostbusters legacy is wonderfully taken up by Ivan Reitman's son Jason here, delivering a beautifully executed mix of fan service, nostalgia, laughs and easter eggs (some obvious, some contrived, some obscure, but all zipped through in a featurette on the blu ray).

It has the added bonus of getting right all the many things that were very wrong in the dreadful 2016 movie, even if that one isn't strictly canon; for a start, there are no hints of clanging, over-compensatory identitarian agenda in Afterlife, which almost certainly explains why a curiously niche but loud section of critics panned this.

As usual, they have missed the point colossally: this is quite simply a beautiful, heartfelt, perfectly-pitched and deftly executed love letter to the original 80s film and to the late Harold Ramis.  And its damn fine entertainment along the way - right to the very, very end of its running time. ;)

Rating: ****

R6GYY

I completely agree. Tis wonderful entertainment with an enchanting young cast who carry the film.

Highly recommended to anyone who enjoyed the 80's films.

I try not to think about the 2016 Ghostbusters.

Matt2112

Interesting that Mark Kermode - with whom I rarely disagree - really didn't like this film.

Also interesting was the backlash his review caused, for which he stuck to his guns but offered a magnanimous response. Classy guy.