What's in/on Your DVD/VCR/PVR etc

Started by pxr5, February 23, 2022, 08:06:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fishy

The Following Events Are Based on a Pack of Lies  The new Beeb drama .. wasn't sure about this  going in but it's very good..
From The Land of Honest Men

David L

Quote from: Fishy on September 04, 2023, 08:50:00 AMThe Following Events Are Based on a Pack of Lies  The new Beeb drama .. wasn't sure about this  going in but it's very good..
I'm assuming it is based on the BBC newsroom
 ;)

The Picnic Wasp

Quote from: The Picnic Wasp on August 22, 2023, 10:43:50 AMI've been watching a couple of episodes of Cheers each night for the past few weeks. I'm now on season 10 out of 11 and will be sorry when I've completed them all. Shelley Long was good at the beginning. She played her character very well, but it became a bit tiresome. Kirstie Alley is magnificent as the lunatic Rebecca and makes for far better plots. Woody was an inspirational replacement for the much missed Coach. I have to say however, my heart always sinks when they leave the bar. Anything off set descends into English farce and becomes almost unwatchable slapstick. It's why I rarely watch Frasier. Kelsey Grammer is a great comedy actor, but the scripts are very much like the worst of Cheers.

Getting perilously close to the end of the final series and don't know what to replace it with for that last watch at night. The strange thing is, having watched all the episodes back in the day, I don't remember any of them apart from a couple of crazy Kirstie Alley lines.

R6GYY

Just started on the 3rd series of the sublime Guilt.

And we will be following finals week in Celebrity Masterchef.

Fishy

Quote from: pxr5 on September 03, 2023, 09:40:29 PMInvasion  SE01 This one totally passed me by (2021), but I started with 2 episodes tonight. It's a slow burner for sure and it's purely character driven, so don't expect martians and ray guns and tons of shitty CGI. Follows individuals from all over the world as they are slowly experiencing the commencement of an alien invasion: An old retiring sheriff from Idaho, a Japanese JASA comms expert, an Indian-American doctor dealing with an unfaithful husband, a bullied English schoolboy and a Navy Seal in Kandahar. I love shows like this and series 2 has just started as well - great stuff.

Managed half way thru second episode .. far too slow and ponderous for me.. the unfaithful husband and Japanese storylines were just naff... sorry

pxr5

Quote from: Fishy on September 05, 2023, 01:50:05 PM
Quote from: pxr5 on September 03, 2023, 09:40:29 PMInvasion  SE01 This one totally passed me by (2021), but I started with 2 episodes tonight. It's a slow burner for sure and it's purely character driven, so don't expect martians and ray guns and tons of shitty CGI. Follows individuals from all over the world as they are slowly experiencing the commencement of an alien invasion: An old retiring sheriff from Idaho, a Japanese JASA comms expert, an Indian-American doctor dealing with an unfaithful husband, a bullied English schoolboy and a Navy Seal in Kandahar. I love shows like this and series 2 has just started as well - great stuff.

Managed half way thru second episode .. far too slow and ponderous for me.. the unfaithful husband and Japanese storylines were just naff... sorry
Yeah I can understand that and it is slow. But I prefer it for that; I do get fed up with typical Hollywood pap that gets churned out. This just feels different and I like all the individual stories. Also I believe that things really take off around episode 6 and hey it must be OK as it got the green light for a second series (unlike many recent shows e.g. The Peripheral)
"Oh, for the wings of any bird other than a Battery hen."

pxr5

We finished series 1 of Invasion last night. Quite good overall, but some odd moments ruined it a little. Series 2 has started, but I'll wait for all episodes before continuing. 7/10

Matt2112

Pearl

Ti West's prequel to the, um, excellent X that was #1 on my to-watch list. 

So maybe my expectations were raised too high as, unfortunately, I found this quite disappointing.

There's a fair bit to admire - the technical proficiency, the performances (lead Mia Goth is quite remarkable) but for me the script rather let it down; it just doesn't match the lurid, grisly fascination of X.

Still, I look forward to X's sequel, MaXXXine, which completes the trilogy and is released next year.

Rating: **

pxr5

Started watching Top Guns: Inside the RAF on Channel 4, made me feel quite nostalgic, but things have changed a lot since I left. And beards - I really can't get my head around those, and on the men ;) Better than I thought it was going to be. RAF Lossiemouth looks better than I remember too.

Red Lenses

Working my way through....
Ash vs Evil Dead Season 3 (Netflix) and Twisted Metal Season 1 (Download), both have similar sillyness and gore !!!
Watched a few shows from National Geographic channel on Disney+ :-
Into The Grand Canyon, The Deepest Cave & Lost In The Artic

Film in work tonight was Talk To Me, very decent horror about conjuring spirits with an embalmed hand - 7/10.

R6GYY

The Continental

Also catching up with something we missed when it came out. Working our way through 4 seasons of Whitechapel.

Fishy

Grabbed the 2 series of the BBC Colditz drama... working my way thru them

Matt2112

Boiling Point (short film)

Caught this by chance on the BBC ahead of the series starting next Sunday.

Very good indeed, just like the feature film adaptation released a year or so later, which was also brilliantly executed in an engrossing single take and featured a powerhouse lead performance from Stephen Graham.

However, as prep for the series (Graham and the feature's cast return) I would recommend viewing the feature film rather than the short, as the latter acts almost as an extended trailer for the former, complete with inevitable plot spoilers.

I'll create a dedicated thread for the series.

Rating: ****

dom

Loved the film and looking forward to the series. Hadn't heard of the short, might look out for it

pxr5

Barbie - Looked good and started out quite well until it became preachy crap. I'll give it a 4/10. I'll use my wife's exact description when I asked her what she thought - "Shite".