What's in/on Your DVD/VCR/PVR etc

Started by pxr5, February 23, 2022, 08:06:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

R6GYY

We went with one of Sian's favourites tonight - Air Force One.

dom

On episode 3 of season 3 of Only Murders in the Building.

Funny and entertaining.

Martin Short is brilliant. Meryl Streep too

pxr5

Secret Invasion - A marvel series focussing on Nick Fury. Only 6 episodes and we rattled through 3 tonight. It's okay-ish and that's about it. I'll likely forget I've watched 10 minutes after the last episode.
"Oh, for the wings of any bird other than a Battery hen."

R6GYY

2 more episodes (3 and 4) of the 1st series of Shooter tonight.

Matt2112

Quote from: pxr5 on August 20, 2023, 10:19:59 PMSecret Invasion - A marvel series focussing on Nick Fury. Only 6 episodes and we rattled through 3 tonight. It's okay-ish and that's about it. I'll likely forget I've watched 10 minutes after the last episode.

Nice to see they rebuilt Halifax's Piece Hall in time for the summer series of gigs. ;) :)

pxr5

Quote from: Matt2112 on August 22, 2023, 08:26:03 AM
Quote from: pxr5 on August 20, 2023, 10:19:59 PMSecret Invasion - A marvel series focussing on Nick Fury. Only 6 episodes and we rattled through 3 tonight. It's okay-ish and that's about it. I'll likely forget I've watched 10 minutes after the last episode.

Nice to see they rebuilt Halifax's Piece Hall in time for the summer series of gigs. ;) :)
I didn't know it was Halifax but there were a lot of UK locations in this show. I finished last night and it actually started to improve as the episodes got shorter in length. 6/10

The Picnic Wasp

I've been watching a couple of episodes of Cheers each night for the past few weeks. I'm now on season 10 out of 11 and will be sorry when I've completed them all. Shelley Long was good at the beginning. She played her character very well, but it became a bit tiresome. Kirstie Alley is magnificent as the lunatic Rebecca and makes for far better plots. Woody was an inspirational replacement for the much missed Coach. I have to say however, my heart always sinks when they leave the bar. Anything off set descends into English farce and becomes almost unwatchable slapstick. It's why I rarely watch Frasier. Kelsey Grammer is a great comedy actor, but the scripts are very much like the worst of Cheers.

R6GYY

Cheers. One of the best lines ever, by Norm:

"Women, can't live with 'em. Pass the beer-nuts".

Not that I have anything against women, I just thought it was a well-written, perfectly delivered line.

Move along now, nothing to see here . . .

pxr5

Series 3 of The Witcher. I've only watched 2 episodes so far and all I can say is 'Oh Dear'. I'm shocked at how bad it's got and you can't blame Henry Cavill (he's not even in it much this series) for sacking this off. It looks amazing and some of the monsters are the best I've seen (the second episode in particular); the acting and cinematography are all top draw. However, the script is nonsense with an incredibly confusing storyline and scenes jump around in a horrible mess. There are so many character names thrown around you have no idea who is who or where they are; there is no character development at all, or back stories to justify anyone's actions. It's a real shame, but I'll see it out just for the action parts that do look stunning in 4K HDR. I doubt there will be any more seasons after this shambolic mess.

Fishy

Quote from: pxr5 on August 14, 2023, 08:46:14 PMI'm watching The Patient just now. Only 10 short (20 mins) episodes so it should be completed soon. From IMDb: A psychotherapist finds himself held prisoner by a serial killer who demands he help him curb his homicidal urges. It's strange to see Steve Carrell in a serious role, but he plays the ageing psychotherapist very well. Domhnall Gleeson is superb as the serial killer though; with a perfect American accent. Tense stuff.

3 eps in.. it's good stuff..😀
From The Land of Honest Men

Red Lenses

Quote from: R6GYY on August 05, 2023, 07:37:26 PMTonight we will be watching Gerard Butler in Kandahar on Amazon Prime.

I'm not expecting too much but who knows?

Better than expected actually, and Mr. Butler got to use his native accent and the performance was all the better for it. A very topical film (and based on real events apparently).

Have to agree that Kandahar was rather decent - 8/10, wonder if we will get a sequel ?

Finished Mr.Inbetween (Disney+) Seasons 2 & 3, gutted we won't get anymore - 9/10.

Rattling through Star Trek Strange New Worlds (Paramount+) Season 2, just finished the one with Lower Decks which was excellent as have been some of the previous episodes !!

Fishy

Quote from: Fishy on August 23, 2023, 11:45:45 AM
Quote from: pxr5 on August 14, 2023, 08:46:14 PMI'm watching The Patient just now. Only 10 short (20 mins) episodes so it should be completed soon. From IMDb: A psychotherapist finds himself held prisoner by a serial killer who demands he help him curb his homicidal urges. It's strange to see Steve Carrell in a serious role, but he plays the ageing psychotherapist very well. Domhnall Gleeson is superb as the serial killer though; with a perfect American accent. Tense stuff.

3 eps in.. it's good stuff..😀

2eps to go.. still very good😀

dom

Watched Marriage a BBC four parter from last year with Sean Bean and Nicola Walker. Watched all episodes over a couple of nights. Understated yet thought provoking

Fishy

First two eps of Netflix Painkiller

Fishy

Finished off The  Patient.. a satisfying end to a great series..