What's in/on Your DVD/VCR/PVR etc

Started by pxr5, February 23, 2022, 08:06:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

R6GYY

Good Omens season 2 now finished. Mostly enjoyable and clearly set up for season 3.

Great supporting cast, but David Tennant and Michael Sheen really shine in this. And Jon Hamm obviously enjoyed himself in this.

pxr5

Just caught the first 2 episodes of The Peripheral. Brilliant, intelligent sci-fi - I wish I'd watched it sooner.
"Oh, for the wings of any bird other than a Battery hen."

Red Lenses

The Bear (Disney+), superb episodes throughout the 2nd half of Season 2 - 9/10.
Mr.Inbetween Season 1(Disney+), quick episodes and very enjoyable & now ready to start Season 2 - 9/10.

65, decent enough film with Adam Driver and all done in 90 minutes - 8/10.

Slim

Quote from: Fishy on July 22, 2023, 08:23:29 PM
Quote from: Slim on July 22, 2023, 08:01:52 PM
Quote from: Fishy on July 19, 2023, 08:56:41 AMBinging the beebs World on Fire

I liked the first series albeit it wasn't exactly realistic, but this new series is decidedly second-rate IMO.
We finished it off last night . Enjoyed it👍

I've watched the first four now and I must say it's developing nicely, though I could do without the PC race-baiting in the plot thread about the war in North Africa. The senior upper class British officer who's inflexible, incompetent and (of coure) racist is a ridiculous cliche, as well. But that's the BBC for you. Even General Melchett was a more subtle caricature.
H5N1 kIlled a wild swan

R6GYY

Caught up with Guy Ritchie's The Covenant tonight.  Very similar in some regards to last week's Kandahar. The trailer will give you a good idea of what you are in for. 

dom

Vice - excellent film.  Christian Bale, Steve Carrell and Amy Adams give fantastic portrayals of the lead characters.

pxr5

Finished The Peripheral last night. All was going well until the last episode - it just felt rushed and confusing. A couple of jump the shark moments ruined the whole show too, but I think it's to set up season 2. A shame really as most of it was fantastic sci-fi. 7/10

pxr5

I'm watching The Patient just now. Only 10 short (20 mins) episodes so it should be completed soon. From IMDb: A psychotherapist finds himself held prisoner by a serial killer who demands he help him curb his homicidal urges. It's strange to see Steve Carrell in a serious role, but he plays the ageing psychotherapist very well. Domhnall Gleeson is superb as the serial killer though; with a perfect American accent. Tense stuff.

R6GYY

Thanks for the info about The Patient. I watched the first 2 episodes last night, and will do at least 1 more in a mo. 

This afternoon I caught up with Gran Turismo at the cinema (not on Imax).

Whilst I enjoyed it a lot, I was left a little under-whelmed by the racing action. The climactic race in the film is the 24 hour Le Mans race, and the Christian Bale / Matt Damon picture Le Mans 66 did this soooo much better - so visceral in the intensity of the driving footage - especially at night in the rain. Genuinely scary arse-tightening to watch at times.

Gran Turismo IS well worth a watch though, and (based on truth) a story worth telling.

I was surprised to discover that the director was none other than Neill Blomkamp, he of District 9 fame. Now THAT was a debut film and a half.

dom

Went with the family to see Barbie. A bit of a mess I thought. It went on too long and got boring. It came across as confused and incoherent.

David L

Quote from: dom on August 15, 2023, 11:41:32 PMWent with the family to see Barbie. A bit of a mess I thought. It went on too long and got boring. It came across as confused and incoherent.
Serves you right
😁

dom

Quote from: David L on August 16, 2023, 10:17:41 AM
Quote from: dom on August 15, 2023, 11:41:32 PMWent with the family to see Barbie. A bit of a mess I thought. It went on too long and got boring. It came across as confused and incoherent.
Serves you right
😁
Fair comment ;D

pxr5

Finished The Patient last night. Very good overall. The later episodes were a little bit longer than the first few. 8.5/10

pxr5

A new horror movie - Nefarious. From IMDb: On the day of his scheduled execution, a convicted serial killer gets a psychiatric evaluation during which he claims he is a demon, and further claims that before their time is over, the psychiatrist will commit three murders of his own. I didn't know anything about this movie beforehand, but gets a half decent score on IMDb, so I thought why not. The acting by Sean Patrick Flanery is excellent and he plays the demon/Edward with great effect, switching effortlessly between roles and interacts well with the interviewing psychiatrist (most of the movie is dialogue between the two). When it had finished I looked it up online. Turns out it was made by a Christian independent production company based on a book by a republican supporting Christian. Some of the comments on the book see it as some sort of a warning if we don't heed the evil amongst us. Ignoring all that pap, the film is quite good and the acting (mostly by Sean Patrick Flanery) is spot on. There is no major twist, but the ending is unexpected and a neat way to finish up. Thankfully not overlong either. 6.5/10

pxr5

Another new horror movie just now - Cobweb. IMDb says: An eight-year-old boy tries to investigate the mysterious knocking sounds that are coming from inside the walls of his house, unveiling a dark secret that his sinister parents have kept hidden from him. A slow start leads to a manic last 20 minutes. The tense build up is good, but the conclusion is all a bit daft really. All the actors were good enough (the excellent Antony Starr and Lizzy Caplan lead) and the script adequate. But for a horror it just wasn't scary enough and I found it monotonous. A runtime of 88 minutes. Overall a poor effort 4/10